ROSTER OF EDITORS: INVITATION TO EXPRESS AN INTEREST (SHORT-TERM CONSULTANCIES, RETAINER CONTRACTS)
||Kyiv. Telecommuting may be possible, UKRAINE
|Application Deadline :||15-Aug-10|
|Type of Contract :||Other|
|Post Level :||Other|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||Retainer contract as part of roster|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||Short-term assignments upon UNDP Ukraine request based on the needs of the CO/its various projects|
Invitation to Express an Interest
For short-term consultancies (retainer contracts as a part of the roster).
UN Development Programme (UNDP) is the UN's global development network, advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. We are on the ground in 166 countries, working with them on their own solutions to global and national development challenges. As they develop local capacity, they draw on the people of UNDP and our wide range of partners.
In Ukraine, four development focus areas define the structure of UNDP's assistance activities. These include democratic governance; prosperity, poverty reduction and MDGs; local development and human security; and energy and environment. In each of these thematic areas, UNDP ensures balance between policy and advocacy work, capacity building activities and pilot projects. UNDP established its presence in Ukraine in 1993.
Within its mandate UNDP supports implementation of various projects. For the selection of its various vendors UNDP set the following principles for its procurement:
- best value for money;
- efficiency and effectiveness;
- interest to the organization;
- fairness, integrity, transparency.
It is expected that a retainer contract as a part of the roster of editors will be created and maintained to facilitate the work of UNDP Ukraine in selection the best professional editor’s services required by the country office and/or its various projects on a when needed basis.
Duties and Responsibilities
General work tasks
Every assignment under the long-term retainer contract (up to 3 years) will be guided by a specific TOR clearly stipulating the nature and scope of works, detailed list of deliverables, timeframe and the outcome. There will be performance measurement system introduce to collect feedback after missions.
Reports, publications, and other forms of external communications produced by UNDP Ukraine (including the text posted on the country office web site) are typically written by specialists whose substantive expertise does not always lend itself to the style and language associated with native English speakers. UNDP publications must be reader-friendly and accessible to non-specialists. They must have a unitary style, in design as well as in content. Services of professional editors are needed to help address these challenges. The editor will ensure that UNDP Ukraine communicates in a user-friendly manner, and will help disseminate knowledge and create awareness of UNDP activities in Ukraine and other countries.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Editing for style, in terms of:
- Use of correct English language and terminology;
- Correct grammar and spelling;
- Avoidance of technical and bureaucratic terms;
- Overall reader-friendliness.
Editing for clarity, in terms of:
- Providing easy identification of the overall theme and focus of the publication;
- Making the message clear and easily accessible;
- Organising content in a logical, convincing manner.
- Editing for length, in terms of:
- Materials to be edited include: publications, project documents, project reports (quarterly and annual), web sites, official correspondence, and other forms of communications as needed.
- May be familiar with one or all of UNDP’s practice areas (Energy and Environment; Poverty Eradication and MDGs; Democratic Governance and Local Development).
Required Skills and Experience
- Native English speaker with exceptional linguistic ability in English;
- String editing skills and experience are mandatory.
- Must be able to provide fast turnaround and work under pressure.
Application procedures: Qualified and interested candidates are requested to apply on-line at http://undp.org.ua/en/jobs no later than 15 August 2010 COB. Note: pls. put Editor (English language) in the subject of your message.
The application should contain:
- filled P11 form (in English) (the form can be downloaded from http://www.un.kiev.ua/bc/jobs/un_personal_history_form.doc;
- Cover Letter (in English) stating the expertise and qualification for the position including references to previously undertaken similar works
- List documents edited (in English), UNDP has the right to request separate documents to review their types, quality of editing and familiarization with the issue, UN terminology, etc
- Price quotation (price should be quoted in USD)
Qualified women and members of social minorities are particularly encouraged to apply.
Due to the large number of applicants for UNDP positions, UNDP regrets that it is unable to inform unsuccessful candidates about the outcome or status of the recruitment process.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.