NATIONAL EXPERT ELECTORAL SUPPORT-RE-ADVERTISEMENT
|Application Deadline :||02-Sep-10|
|Type of Contract :||Service Contract|
|Post Level :||SB-5|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||1 year|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||1 year with possibility of yearly renewal|
Democratic governance is a concept that emerged from the principles that are based on the understanding that an effective system of democratic governance is one which is based on representative, equitable (across gender and other categories), transparent, accountable and inclusive institutions; a vibrant, responsible and capable media; and a dynamic civil society which is engaged in the political process. The overall goal of the Deepening Democracy Project in Nigeria is to help develop the capacity of national and sub-national institutions, networks and processes, whether governmental or non-governmental, as a contribution to the further entrenchment of democratic governance in Nigeria.
Efforts on the electoral cycle reinforce national efforts to build the norms, practices, mechanisms and institutions that can foster active citizenship and stronger democratic accountability, in keeping with the stated objectives of Government policy. The project provides technical assistance to the Electoral Institute of the Independent National Electoral Commission and the State Independent Electoral Commissions. In addition, the project works with civil society and other democratic institutions to help them maximize public participation and confidence in the outcome of elections.
Work on broader issues of democratic governance helps build the norms, practices and institutions that can underpin the development of democratic governance in Nigeria over the medium- to long-term whilst also supporting near-term action on pressing issues such constitutional and electoral reform. The project primarily provides technical assistance and financing for capacity development linked to practical outcomes in a number of areas: legislature, election management bodies, political parties, civil society, media, gender equality in politics.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the strategic direction of the Project Manager, and working in close coordination with UNDP’s Capacity for Governance Team Leader and development partners, the National Elections expert will support and provide expert services in negotiations, identification of priorities, preparation of relevant documents and follow up support for management and continued partnership development to the project on behalf of UNDP. In addition, the national expert would also provide on the go analysis of Nigeria socio political situation and previous elections and how it relates to future elections. As such, s/he will be required, inter alia, to:
Summary of key functions:
- Strategic advice on highly sensitive political issues to top level policy and decision makers, based on careful analysis and research;
- Support the Deputy Project Manager in day-to-day activities of the Project Management Unit;
- Help out in the Management of the Project Component on Electoral Management Bodies and build partnerships in these areas;
- Assist in coordination with what other partners do, forge relationships, mobilize resources
- Any other duties as assigned by the Project Director.
Provide strategic advice on highly sensitive political issues to top level policy and decision makers, based on careful analysis and research;
- To policy and decision makers in UNDP, development partners and Government on critical issues in the deepening of democracy and the electoral process.
- For this purpose, contribute to the concept notes, issues papers, situation assessments.
- Contribute to briefing the donor group on the progress on electoral assistance
- Provide substantive input, derived from best practices, in the strategic direction of the work of the steering committee.
- Provide timely reports on projects to the steering committee on progress
Support the Deputy Project Manager in day-to-day activities of the Project Unit.
- Work in close collaboration with the Project Unit and this will include the partners and the other pillars of the project.
- Monitor and evaluate the project
Help out in the Management of the Project Component on Electoral Management Bodies and build these relationships. The National Expert will:
- Provide support to the Nigeria election management bodies and donor partners in the preparations and conduct of elections as relevant to program activities.
- Assist the election management bodies and other implementing agents in the design, preparation, implementation and coordination of the joint project supported activities to ensure its efficient and effective contribution to the successful conduct of the elections.
- Monitor and implement joint project activities through regular interaction with the election management bodies.
- Build and maintain strong cooperative relationships with relevant local networks and contacts, including partner organisations, stakeholders and beneficiaries
Assist in coordination with what other partners do, forge relationships, mobilize resources.
- Develop and nurture broader partnerships in the areas of democratic governance and elections, communicate and advocate the UN and the international partners’ positions and engage with Nigerian partners accordingly.
- Any other duties as assigned by the Project Director.
Impact of Results
The key results impact positively on the overall efficiency of the DGD project including improved business results and client services. Accurate representation and linkages provided with the individual in line with the information and a client-oriented approach enhances UNDP’s capability to effectively and efficiently manage project and projects.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the shared vision, mission and strategic goals of the partners supporting the initiative;
- Displays strong cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism.
- Proven competence in the field of democratic governance, well-informed on both electoral and broader democratic governance issues such as legislative development, the role and potential of mass and community media, civil society in emerging democratic societies, and the participation and role of women in politics. Comfortable with full range of sub-sectors within the project, although possibly more knowledgeable and experienced in some areas. S/he should have a strong grasp of the strategic, policy and nuts-and-bolts issues involved in capacity development in the area of democratic governance;
- Ability to appreciate and respond productively to the challenges faced in leading a high-risk initiative in a politically challenging environment. Ability to maintain calm and poise in high pressure and sometimes provocative situations as well as apply skills in mediation and consensus-building;
- Solid academic background and demonstrated abilities in analysis of complex political situations and providing strategic advice, while maintaining personal detachment;
- Proven managerial experience in an international context and ability to lead teams. Proven ability to make sound decisions in delegation of responsibilities and in finding a balance between a focus on detail and keeping an eye on the big picture. Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Strong inter-personal communications and diplomatic skills, with an ability to listen, understand and respond effectively to different and divergent points of view expressed by a wide range of stakeholders. Ability to build strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor work plans. Proven ability to work under pressure and produce output that is accurate, timely and of high quality. Ability to manage conflicting priorities;
- Ability to understand and apply tools such as the logical framework, results-based approaches like UNDP’s RBM and PRINCE2. Solid knowledge and experience of project management. Ability to support and provide oversight to strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Resourcefulness, good interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity. Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective work relationships with and between different levels and types of project personnel and counterparts.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (Masters) related to democratic governance and development, such as political science, economics and other social sciences.
- Progressively responsible work experience of at least 8 to 10 years in democratic governance, including electoral issues, dealing with: (a) policy dialogue and advisory work; (b) leadership and management of research and analysis; (c) design and execution of capacity development projects; (d) project management, including the leadership of multi-disciplinary expert teams, preferably funded by development partners (UN or other); and (e) promotion of stakeholder/community awareness of and participation in democratic governance.
- Skills in training, process facilitation, strategic planning, and partnership-building.
- Ability to prepare high quality policy briefs, analytical reports, and technical research reflecting global good practice in democratic governance.
- Excellent PC user skills: word processing, spreadsheets, databases and web-based research.
- Ability to travel within Nigeria and overseas.
- Strong skills in written communications in English particularly in preparing issue-based papers or reports.
- Excellent spoken English is required as well as fluency in one Nigerian language.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.