PROJECT OFFICER, MAINSTREAMING DISASTER RISK REDUCTION (FOR NEPALESE NATIONALS ONLY)
||Kathmandu with some travel to the field
|Application Deadline :||26-Feb-11|
|Additional Category||Environment and Energy|
|Type of Contract :||Service Contract|
|Post Level :||SB-4|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||Up to end December 2011 (Initially,possibilities of extension).|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||Up to end December 2011 (Initially,possibilities of extension).|
|The Comprehensive Disaster Risk Management Programme (CDRMP) has been formulated as part of the Strategic Partnership Framework signed between the BCPR and UNDP, and in accordance with the Nepal Risk Reduction Consortium. The CDRMP aims to strengthen the institutional and legislative aspects of DRM in Nepal, by building the capacities of Ministry of Home Affairs, other ministries, and local governments. The CDRMP will also establish strategic linkages between DRM and development sectors. The programme’s intervention in the area of climate risk management, community-based disaster risk management, and emergency preparedness and response will strengthen the overall system of disaster risk management in Nepal. It will integrate gender equality and women empowerment as well as social inclusion issues for sustainable DRM. A knowledge management strategy will support all CDRMP interventions. In course of implementing the CDRMP, UNDP would build partnerships with the government, NGOs, international agencies, and academic institutions and expand the institutional and knowledge base of disaster risk management in Nepal.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall oversight of the programme manager (PM) and direct supervision of the project Senior Project Officer (SPO ILS) for CDRMP activities related to Institutional and Legislations Systems Strengthening (ILS) and Strategic Linkages with other Sectors (Mainstreaming), the incumbent will ensure all activities related to mainstreaming disaster risk reduction are implemented in a timely, efficient and politically sensitive manner. In order to fulfil this task, the project officer (PO) will carry out regular stakeholder consultations, field visits, liaison with the line ministries, organizations as well as target beneficiaries and end- user agencies. Detailed scope of work includes:
A. Carry out day-to-day management and quality delivery of outputs and activities related to ILS & Mainstreaming in a timely, efficient and dynamic manner. (40%)
- Support quality, timely and efficient delivery of all outputs of the CDRMP activities related to ILS & Mainstreaming, building UNDP reputation for quality design and reliable delivery. Prepare inputs and regular updates to detail work plans, action plans, calendar of events, M&E framework and plan, risk, issue and lessons learned logs in consultation with the implementing partners and stakeholders of the ILS & Mainstreaming related activities
- Work closely with the SPO ILS to identify potential issues and problems related to ILS & Mainstreaming to prepare a set of recommendations and to obtain any support/ advice required for the management, planning and control of CDRMP
- Ensure that of activities related to ILS & Mainstreaming is consistent with the CDRMP objectives and plans and is relevant to DRM context of Nepal
- Keep abreast of ILS & Mainstreaming related issues and dynamics in Nepal which will impact on delivery of the CDRMP and potential follow-on programming and provide regular updates to the SPO ILS
- Support and contribute to the development of contingency plans to address anticipated challenges;
- Work with implementing partners in developing and adopting replication and sustainability strategies of all approaches and results of the CDRMP, which are appropriate for Nepal context
- Timely mobilization and utilization of CDRMP subcontracts, training and equipment inputs to the ILS & Mainstreaming activities with respect to Nepal’s diversity
- Develop of Terms of References of all required services (individuals and companies) and actively participate in the recruitment process as required by the PM
- Coordinate respective national and international consultants to ensure that contracting processes are in accordance with planned schedules and deliverables
- Actively work with the gender and social inclusion team to develop and implement strategies to promote gender equality and social inclusion for sustainable DRM
- Represent the CDRMP team in related events as required by the PM.
B. Carry out monitoring and evaluation, planning and reporting responsibilities related to ILS & Mainstreaming activities. (20%)
- Contribute to development of M&E framework and establishment and maintenance of a dynamic system of M&E as a central element of the CDRMP
- Support full implementation of the M&E system
- Contribute to timely reporting - both internal and external (to the Government and donors) - following UNDP and CDRMP requirements and established procedures
- Support the organization of the CDRMP Executive Board meetings and contribute to all aspects of development of progress reports and other documentation as required.
C. Develop and maintain effective relations including with the concerned partners and counterparts of ILS and Mainstreaming issues. (15%)
- Support the SPO ILS in representing the team in all relevant Country Office meetings, events and other activities as required
- In close collaboration with the SPO ILS, contribute to the development of appropriate working relations with national stakeholders to advance buy-in and national ownership of relevant aspects of the CDRMP
- Liaise with respective contractors and other key stakeholders that impact CDRMP delivery in order to ensure CDRMP outcomes are met in a timely manner
- In close collaboration with the PM, liaise with UNDP management and partners as necessary
- Support resource mobilization efforts by preparation of quality reports and other such documents.
D. Oversight coordination, management and monitoring of financial, administrative, procurement and logistical matters. (15%)
- Work with administrative and finance team of the CDRMP in drawing up specifications for the equipment required and follow up with the procurement procedures
- Comply ILS & Mainstreaming operations with UNDP rules, regulations and policies and monitoring of achievement of results
- Effective, transparent and accountable management of financial resources of ILS and Mainstreaming, as per UNDP rules and regulations
- Support the SPO ILS in the preparation of timely narrative and financial reports, thematic technical papers and policy notes for the UNDP Country Office and CDRMP donors
- In close coordination with the Administrative and Finance team of the programme prepare accurate and reliable financial reports
- Support all activities leading to the annual audit exercise and follow up of the audit recommendations
- Provide inputs to Atlas budget revisions and Annual Work Plans for further discussion and clearance from the PM.
E. Conduct knowledge building and knowledge sharing. (10%)
- Support the knowledge management officer in generating, documenting and disseminating high quality information and knowledge about the CDRMP best practices and lessons learned on ILS and Mainstreaming among national and international stakeholders on an ongoing basis
- Contribute to the development of relevant knowledge products
- Contribute to relevant knowledge networks and communities of practice
- Perform any other related task as per the request of the ILS PO, PM and DRR Unit Head.
Impact of Results:
Provision of technical support and effective management of the activities for mainstreaming DRM and establishing strategic linkages with key sectors and training facility for DRM in Nepal, and delivery of CDRMP objectives in compliance with UNDP rules and procedures will impact efficient delivery of results and outputs, fiscal and human resource management and administration.
- Demonstrated high moral integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards, impartiality and discretion and proven capacity of initiative, discretion and autonomy.
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategy of UNDP.
- Displays respect to diversity and cultural, gender, religious, race, nationality and age sensitivity.
- Functional Competencies
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example.
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Sectoral planning, results based management and reporting.
- Able to formulate, implement, monitor and evaluate programmes and projects, as well as resource mobilization skills.
- Able to implement new systems with attitude change among implementing partners.
Management and leadership
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and results for the client and responds positively to feed-back.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Effective communications skills and ability to establish good working relationships with national and international interlocutors.
- Demonstrated openness to change and ability to solve problems and manage complexities.
- Ability to work and act under pressure and with discretion in a politically sensitive environment with a minimum of comfort.
- Ability to travel under harsh conditions within the country whenever required.
- Excellent team building skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Masters Degree in social science, DRM and any related fields.
- At least five years of extensive practical experience in the field of multi-stakeholder and comprehensive development programmes with national and international agencies
- At least three years of solid experiences on DRM ILS & Mainstreaming schemes in Nepal
- Demonstrated ability to develop strategies for DRM ILS & Mainstreaming in Nepal.
- Good knowledge of computer applications especially MS Office.
- Fluency in English and Nepali at professional level are essential.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.