TRAINER / FACILITATOR
|Application Deadline :||25-Apr-11|
|Type of Contract :||Other|
|Post Level :||Other|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||2 weeks|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||2 weeks|
The Government of The Gambia has put in place a comprehensive set of national policy frameworks for sustained economic growth, poverty reduction and achieving the MDGs. Developing and maintaining the requisite human and institutional capacities including economic governance however, remain a primary challenge. Government is keen to ensure that there is adequate human and institutional capacity to formulate policy, design and implement development programmes and deliver quality services to meet the country’s development priorities. The main objective of the project is to lay the foundation for development, financing and implementation of a long-term strategy for Public Service reform and institutional capacity development under strengthened government leadership, while at the same time addressing short-term capacity needs in key national institutions.
In this vein, the Personnel Management Office (PMO), Office of the President, in collaboration with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), The Gambia, has under the PSRICD project, embarked on strategic activities for capacity building, by implement trainings resulting from the needs identification exercise conducted to determine the critical capacity gaps in the civil service. One of such critical areas that need immediate attention is training for Permanent Secretaries and their deputies, to be able to facilitate change and its management in the Civil Service. PMO therefore seeks for a reputable and competent International training institution to provide the high profile training.
Proposal mode and delivery:
A clear Technical proposal [demonstrating the Institutional capability, the plan to execute the training effectively, the Certification plan, Resumes for the trainers to be used (these will strictly be the ones to conduct the course), and other modalities to make the training more learner focused as well as grounded to the targeted group]; and a realistic financial proposal in US Dollars, indicating basically: [Consultancy fees, Travel fares, Daily Subsistence Allowance, Certificates, Preparation and delivery of course materials], and not based on the number of participants; to be addressed to:
The Director, PSRICD Project,
New Administrative Building,
Banjul, The Gambia.
and sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose and Objectives:
The main purpose for this training will be to augment top management’ skills and knowledge, in relation to sustainable change management in the Civil Service.
Specific Objectives - It is expected that by the end of the training, participants will be able to:
- Explain the various leadership circumstances, and their implications.
- Differentiate between, and explain good and bad leadership styles.
- Clarify circumstances that lead to leadership development or destruction.
- Illustrate the change management concerns and process.
- Appreciate the relationship between effective leadership and change management.
Scope of Assignment:
The trainer is expected to design an interactive and practical training covering areas including:
- Leadership traits for steering change,
- Self auditing
- Intelligence quoefficience
- Team dynamics, change dynamics,
- The change management series,
- Effective coaching & Mentoring,
- Conflict resolution,
- Performance management,
- Competence profiling and development for change,
- Communication for change, and managing comparative change.
Impact of Results
In effect, the training design should be able to meet the assumptions that, at the end of the course, participants will be in position to:
- Gain superior leadership styles.
- Practice leadership development in their institutions.
- Adopt, and adapt high-quality leadership traits in their daily performance, and thereafter become change Agents / Managers, and good leaders.
Expected Milestones: The successful institution /trainer will therefore be expected to deliver the following milestones throughout up to the end of the five-days’ activity:
- A well designed course outline in Leadership and change management for a high profile group of participants, with clear participatory and practical methods of delivery.
- A Programme / timetable indicating the chronological flow of the event over the five days, and for the two clusters.
- A set of handouts for each participant and a CD of sift copies of all the materials that will have been used in the training, including all reference materials.
- Delivery of the training as per the time table designed by the trainer, and in line with the course design.
- Performance of a preliminary, progressive and final evaluation of the training for both clusters, to determine the effect of the training and results of which to be included in the report.
- A comprehensive training report highlighting the lessons learnt, the areas for improvement and the key definite recommendations for the PSRICD project to take up.
- Demonstrated commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
- Sensitivity to cultural, gender, religious, racial, nationality and age.
- Demonstrable experience in adult and pedagogical training, especially for strategic levels.
- Specialist international experience of at least ten years in training high level profile participants, for corporate management.
- They should have impeccable capabilities to deliver practical training on leadership, change, and organizational development issues.
- Experience in designing quality practical trainings, in the context of the Civil Service, preferably in a developing economy.
- Specialization in corporate and performance improvement training.
- Experience of Sub-Saharan African governance issues
Required Skills and Experience
- Masters degree in social science with a focus in Public Administration and Management.
- Minimum 10 years experience in training high level profile participants for corporate management.
- Fluency in written and oral English.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.