PROGRAMME OFFICER (CAPACITY DEVELOPMENT) UNDP CO - LGA UNIT - VA NO. 2011/07/184 - KABUL, AFGHANISTAN (RE-ADVERTISEMENT)
|Application Deadline :||13-Oct-11|
|Type of Contract :||FTA Local|
|Post Level :||NO-B|
|Languages Required :||
|Duration of Initial Contract :||1 Year|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||1 Year (with possibility of extension)|
|UNDP Global Mission Statement:?
UNDP is the UN?s global development network, an organization advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. We are on the ground in 166 countries, working with national counterparts on their own solutions to global and national development challenges.?
UNDP Afghanistan Mission Statement:?
UNDP Afghanistan is supporting the Government to find innovative solutions to its development challenges based on the on-going Country Programme Document approved by the Executive Board for the period 2006 ? 2009.? A new Country Programme Document was approved by the Executive Board during September 2009 for the period 2010-2013. Key priority areas for UNDP assistance are in strengthening democratic governance, crisis prevention and recovery, and reducing poverty. UNDP is strengthening the institutional capacities of key national government and sub-national authorities which aim to enhance human security, human development, peace and stability in Afghanistan.
UNDP, in close collaboration with the Afghan Government and under the government ownership, has identified two principle areas of cooperation: Governance and Sustainable Livelihoods, through its diversified programme activities, which are clustered into (a) Democratic Governance; (b) Local Governance and Administration; (c) Crisis Prevention and Recovery; (d) Sustainable livelihoods and Poverty Reduction; (e) Natural Resources and Environment.?
The UNDP country programme 2010-2013 focuses on institution-building and supports ongoing efforts to systematically build capacities within the Government and civil society to deepen the functioning of transparent and accountable democratic governance. Emphasis will be increasingly placed on sub-national governance, a pro-poor private sector, and livelihood development programmes aimed towards the most vulnerable groups.
The United Nations Development Group (UNDG) recognizes capacity development as one of five key principles for UN country programming The United Nations Development Group (UNDG) position statement (October 2006) highlights when and how UN country teams can address capacity development in their work-as part of the UNDAF process and in the UNCT?s support to national polices and plans.
UNDP Afghanistan, in alignment with the global UNDP strategic focus, treats capacity development as its overarching service which cuts across all its programmatic interventions in Afghanistan. As part of this direction, the capacity development (CD) cluster has been established in the Local Governance and Administration (LGA) unit of UNDP country office. A Capacity Development Cluster Coordinator (CDCC) will work as the technical specialist and will lead, coordinate and manage the capacity development activities of the CD cluster in UNDP Afghanistan. Within the Local Governance Unit, Government has improved ability to deliver services to foster human development and elected bodies have greater oversight capacity?
Outcome 4: The state and non-state institution is better able to promote democratic participation and be accountable to the public
UNDP is supporting a wide range of government institutions focusing on Institutional Development enhancing government service delivery, fostering human development and promoting democratic participation and accountability to the public.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the head of the LGA, the Programme Officer will be responsible for management of UNDP programme in the area of Capacity Development. The incumbent will analyze political, social and economic trends and leads formulation, management and evaluation of programme activities within the Capacity Development portfolio and provides policy advice services.
The Programme Officer will work in close collaboration with Afghanistan Capacity Development Facility and the Afghanistan Subnational Governance Projects and the Capacity Development and Subnational Implementation Clusters, the operations team, programme staff in other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff and Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UNDP programme implementation.?
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement.? We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and education requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Programme Officer will undertake substantive duties and responsibilities that are focused on developing and implementing programmes, projects and activities in the Capacity Development area. The Programme Officer will work as part of the team, developing and implementing a range of programmatic activities under the relevant portfolio. S/he will also represent UNDP in technical discussions and thematic meetings of relevance to the portfolio. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Summary of key functions:
- Policy Advisory services;?
- Programme Development Services;?
- Project Assurance and Oversight: support to project implementation;?
- Marketing and Advocacy;?
- Partnerships and Resource Mobilization.
Ensures implementation of? programme strategies and provide policy advisory support in the area of Justice and Human Rights and Anti-Corruption with focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Scanning for global and local knowledge and experience in the subject area. Map on a consistent basis the development issues, covering the situation and strategic opportunities in the form of professional papers and reports;?
- Provide intellectual or substantive leadership in the subject area through identification of key policy issues and formulation of best possible and alternative policy options for UNDP;?
- Stimulate strategic thinking in the subject area and tap into opportunities. Organize strategically important policy dialogues, workshops or seminar. Contribute as a resource person and prepare policy papers or product;?
- Organize network of prominent policy based prominent national and international experts and support a series of policy dialogue workshops or roundtables. Build alliances for policy reform and development amongst the national and international development institutions.
Ensures effective management and development of the programme within the Justice and Human Rights and Anti-Corruption with?focusing on quality control from formulation to implementation of the country programme achieving the? following results:
- Thorough analysis of the political, social and economic situation in the country and support the collaborative preparation/revision of PRSP, CCA, UNDAF, CPD, CPAP and other planning instruments. Support the management in the operationalization of UNDAF and CPD through CPAP;?
- Identification of strategic and innovative programme areas of cooperation. Accordingly, prepare programme strategic frameworks;????
- Document best practices, covering concepts, strategies and implementation approaches and support the management in streaming programmes policies and practices;????
- Prepare project proposals and project documents to effect the implementation of the CPD and CPAP?
Effective Assurance and Oversight of?Project Implementation?
- Lead the preparation and implementation of the annual results based work plans and result frameworks as endorsed by the management;????
- Prepare monthly and quarterly progress reports and organize, correspondingly, monthly and quarterly progress reviews;????
- Ensure regular monitoring of progress, preparation of progress reports and organization of regular evaluations and reviews;????
- Use Results Based Management (RBM) /M&E techniques, methods and their applications. Effective application of RBM tools, establishment of management targets (BSC) and monitoring achievement of results;????
- Use programme management and monitoring modules of ATLAS in particular and knowledge of ATLAS operational services in general;????
- Ensure organizational set-up and project management systems are fully functional and create best possible enabling environment for high level performance of Project Implementation Teams. Ensure timely recruitment and availability of high quality and specialized Project Teams;????
- Strategic oversight of planning, budgeting, implementing and monitoring of the? programme, tracking use of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations. Accordingly, organize annual and quarterly work planning and progress reviews;????
- Effective monitoring, reviews and evaluation to measure the impact of the projects. CO programme and evaluation. Constant monitoring and analysis of the programme environment, timely readjustment of programme. Ensure that results and lessons learned feed into the analytical and project work (i.e. results used to make decisions);???
- Organization of cost-recovery system for the services provided by the CO to projects in close collaboration with Operations Manager;????
- Ensure timely preparation of progress reports and submission to the Government and other development partners.?
Strategic partnerships and resource mobilization:?
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for cost-sharing;????
- Mobilize and network with the experts of international development community, government partners, UN Agencies and prominent think-tanks. Build and maintain excellent relations with partners;???
- Prepare proposals for mobilization of human, technical or financial resources from international development organizations, non-government organizations and the private sector;????
- Mobilize resources to support the achievement of program outcomes.?
Marketing and Advocacy:?
- Support the management in creating positive and appreciative atmosphere for team-based work in UNDP and be an advocate for the work of UNDP;??
- Disseminate the information on best practices and be active member of the UNDP global and regional networks;???
- Ensure preparation of brochures, publications, press releases for dissemination of UNDP assistance and experience;????
- Prepare professional articles and papers;
- Expand outreach o the UN, national government, local authorities, private sector, non-government and international development organizations.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN?s values and ethical standards;????
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;????
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;????
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.???
Knowledge Management and Learning??
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office;????
- In-depth knowledge on development issues;????
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice;????
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.??
Development and Operational Effectiveness??
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;????
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources;????
- Good knowledge of the Results Management Guide and Toolkit;????
- Strong IT skills;????
- Ability to lead implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change.??
Management and Leadership??
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;??
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills;????
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;????
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills;????
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors;????
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;????
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Prince2 training and certification, RMG.
Required Skills and Experience
Education & Experience:???
- Master?s Degree in Law, Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field;????
- At least 2 years of relevant experience in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects;????
- Female applicants with Bachelor?s degree? and 2 years of experience will also be considered;????
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.???
- Excellent spoken and written skills in English;????
- Proficiency in Dari and/or Pashto.?????
Interested and qualified national Afghan candidates should apply on-line through the UNDP Jobs site at http://www.undp.org.af/Jobs/index.htm and please ensure that to fill up and upload Personal History Form-P.11 which is available at http://www.undp.org.af/Jobs/index.htm in the relevant field of the on-line application
Incomplete applications or applications received after the closing date will not be given consideration. Please note that only applications who are short-listed will be contacted.??
For more detailed information about UNDP Afghanistan please visit our website at www.undp.org.af?
The vacancy announcement is open only for Afghan national(s) applicants???
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.