PROGRAMME SPECIALIST (GENDER & SOCIAL INCLUSION) (ONLY FOR NEPALESE NATIONAL)
|Application Deadline :||08-Jan-12|
|Type of Contract :||FTA Local|
|Post Level :||NO-C|
|Languages Required :||
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One Year|
This position is for Nepalese nationals only.
Under the overall guidance of the Country Director and the direct supervision of the Deputy Country Director, the Gender and Social Inclusion Specialist will advise both Senior Management and programme staff on gender and social inclusion issues and policies, on incorporating human rights based approaches into, and on mainstreaming gender and social inclusion in, the UNDP Country Programme. The Gender and Social Inclusion Specialist will provide analysis for formulation of strategies and briefings to Senior Management. The Gender and Social Inclusion Specialist will work closely with Government counterparts to identify policy options for gender mainstreaming and social inclusion and to enhance the policy impact of UNDP projects and programmes. The Gender and Social Inclusion Specialist will advocate for and represent UNDP at stakeholder meetings on gender and social inclusion programme matters and maintain close liaison with bi-lateral donors as part of resource mobilization and ensure effective coordination and implementation of UNDP initiatives on gender and social inclusion. The Gender and Social Inclusion Specialist will work to strengthen capacity of Country Office, programme and project Staff, and Government counterparts for human rights based programming, and gender mainstreaming and social inclusion.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provide policy advice and strategic options to UNDP senior management and programme staff on human rights based approaches, gender and social inclusion to achieve the following results:
- Advice CD, DCDs and ACDs, and programme / operation colleagues on effective implementation of UNDP’s gender policies, guidelines and tools, especially in the current and new programmes/initiatives.
- Effective application of the human rights based approach to programme formulation and programming in the UNDP Country Office.
- Gender, social inclusion and human rights mainstreamed in UNDP’s Country Programme.
- Effective application of UNDP RBM tools and monitoring of the achievement of programme results with respect to gender and social inclusion, including development of gender and social-inclusion related indicators and guidance on gender budgeting.
- Gender and/or social inclusion technical reports, analyses, briefing papers and other documents suitable for advocacy purposes and information dissemination based on the outputs of programme work
- Contribution to the management of the CO and participation in statutory committees.
2. Provide advice and options to Government counterparts and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Facilitation of policy dialogue on gender and social inclusion issues with Government, donors, civil society, private sector, contributions to development of policies as relevant
- Provision of policy options, particularly from pro-poor, pro-women and pro-disadvantaged caste/ethnic groups perspectives, on development issues to government and other development actors, in particular to ensure that gender, social inclusion and the Millennium Development Goals are mainstreamed into national programme and planning frameworks and strategies such as the Eleventh Development Plan
- Provision of policy advice on mainstreaming gender, social inclusion and the Millennium Development Goals into the monitoring frameworks supporting development plans and strategies.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice through identification of best practices and lessons learned.
3. Ensure creation of strategic partnerships and support to resource mobilization for to achieve the following results:
- Development of partnerships with UN Agencies, IFIs, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector and civil society especially in the area of gender, social inclusion and human rights based approach programming
- Resources mobilized to support gender and social inclusion mainstreaming programmes or gender and social inclusion sensitive development programmes
- Establish key entry points for national policy and strategy initiatives, advocacy and mobilization of needed resources. Prepare technical reports, analyses, briefing papers and other documents suitable for advocacy purposes and information dissemination based on the outputs of programme work.
- Coordinate the provision of technical assistance to the CO and implementing partners on all matters related to gender and social inclusion.
- Coordinate with and involve the national machinery of gender equality, women’s rights advocates, women in business and professional organizations and other pertinent civic actors with a view to ensure CO activities and resources are aligned with national policies and address gender equality and women’s empowerment.
- Identify and develop strategic partnership with regional and international research and training institutions for highly customized capacity-building, research and advocacy of key development agendas.
- In support of the senior management, identify the critical leads and seek out information on resources and facilities which target to fund gender equality initiatives for resource mobilization.
4. Advocacy and promotion of awareness of UNDP mandate and mission focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Public and policy advocacy for equitable progress towards the Millennium Development Goals
- Contributions to gender and social inclusion sensitive UN Country Team documents necessary for the development of the UNDP Country Programme, the Common Country Assessment (CCA) and the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF)
- Technical inputs to and promotion of UNDP positions in relevant inter-agency technical working groups and other donor groups.
- Identify timely and pressing national gender agendas, develop positions in alignment with the mandates of UN agencies and international conventions, and advocate with civil society and other pertinent civic actors to advance these goals, especially women, peace and security, citizenship and women’s participation.
- Together with CO-colleagues, especially with Development Communication Officer, actively engage in identifying and developing news articles, media products and advocacy materials to advance policy messages.
5. Strengthen capacity of UNDP Country Office staff, project staff and Government counterparts to effectively mainstream gender and social inclusion issues and to use human rights-based approaches to achieve the following results:
- Effective, needs-based training and capacity building support for UNDP staff, project staff, Government officials, private sector and civil society on gender, social inclusion, and human rights based approaches to programming
- Development of a human rights based, gender and social inclusion sensitive UNDP Country Programme.
- Orient CO staff on workplace related gender issues in collaboration with the Learning Committee and Human Resources Specialist.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
Level 2: Analysis and creation of messages and strategies
- Creates effective advocacy strategies
- Performs analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Level 1.1: Contributing to results through provision of information
- Provides information for linkages across programme activities to help identify critical points of integration
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Provides background information to identify opportunities for project development and helps drafting proposals
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 2: Identifying and building partnerships
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to UNDP’s mandate and strategic agenda
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners
- Promotes UNDP’s agenda in inter-agency meetings
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
Level 2: Developing new approaches
- Seeks a broad range of perspectives in developing project proposals
- Identifies new approaches and promotes their use in other situations
- Creates an environment that fosters innovation and innovative thinking
- Makes the case for innovative ideas from the team with own supervisor
Resource Mobilization (Field Duty Stations)
Level 2: Implementing resource mobilization strategies
- Analyzes information on potential bilateral donors and national counterparts to recommend a strategic approach
- Identifies and compiles lessons learned
- Develops a resource mobilization strategy at the country level
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 2: Developing tools and mechanisms
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 2: In-depth knowledge of the subject-matter
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
Level 2: Analysis and creation of messages and strategies
- Performed analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses
- Uses the opportunity to bring forward and disseminate materials for global advocacy work and adapts it for use at country level
Level 2: Contributing to positive outcomes for the client
- Anticipates client needs
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective
- Solicits feedback on service provision and quality
- Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organizational precedents
- Building support and political acumen
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation
- Building and promoting effective teams
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization
- Leveraging conflict in the interests of UNDP & setting standards
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking
Prince2 training and certification, RMG
Required Skills and Experience
Master’s Degree from recognized university in gender studies, social science, law, business administration, economics, population studies or related discipline. Academic knowledge in relation to gender and social inclusion will be an added advantage.
Minimum 5 years of post Master’s relevant Senior level experience at the national or international level in relevant professional development and programme management experience. Good knowledge, understanding, expertise and experience of gender, social inclusion and development issues in Nepal. Experience in research and policy-level analysis, particularly in the fields of gender and social inclusion. Experience in mainstreaming gender and social inclusion through human rights based programming. Experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects. Demonstrated capacity in at least two of following areas: governance and institution building, civil society development, poverty alleviation, macro-economics, environment and sustainable development, crisis prevention and conflict resolution, ICT for development, HIV/AIDS. Good analytical skills. Ability to establish and maintain high-level professional working relationships. Ability to work in multi-cultural and inter-disciplinary teams as well as independently. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems and advanced programmes for statistical analysis of data preferably ICDL certified.
Fluency in English and Nepali languages.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.