DEMOCRATIC GOVERNANCE SPECIALIST
||Phnom Penh, CAMBODIA
|Application Deadline :||02-Jan-12|
|Additional Category||Democratic Governance|
|Type of Contract :||FTA International|
|Post Level :||P-3|
|Languages Required :||
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One year|
|Under the overall guidance of the Deputy Country Director (Programme), and the direct supervision of Head of the Governance Cluster (ACD), the Democratic Governance Specialist will support the governance cluster in programme development, results based monitoring and evaluation and knowledge management.
The Specialist will support the Head of Governance Cluster (ACD) to facilitate coordination and partnership with development partners working in the area of democratic governance. This will involve keeping abreast of key developments in the area of democratic governance related to people participation, engagement of youth and women, strengthening democratic institutions and processes (Parliament, local elected bodies etc.), access to information and media, citizen oversight, public mechanisms of accountability as well as the progress in key government reform programmes including electoral reform, anti-corruption, public administration and public financial management reform, and decentralization and deconcentration.
Duties and Responsibilities
|Summary of Key Functions:
- Provide advice and technical support in strengthening the results based monitoring and evaluation of UNDP’s democratic governance portfolio.
- Support ACD to monitor and analyze new developments (policy, donor trends, reforms) and advise on timely readjustment of programme strategies and partnerships
- Provide advice in coordinating and developing synergies with other UNDP portfolios to maximize impact.
- Networking and knowledge sharing with UNDP’s network in relation to democratic governance.
Provide advice and technical support to ACD in the development and monitoring of UNDP’s democratic governance portfolio
- Support ACD in strategic planning of democratic governance portfolio including: support cluster team in preparation of annual target setting and overall consolidation of integrated development work-plan for governance portfolio;
- Support the regular monitoring and evaluation of the democratic governance portfolio’s including organization of regular cluster reviews of progress towards development results; supporting ACD in quality review of the Results Oriented Annual Report; Enhance linkages between UNDP supported initiatives to maximize impact of results (strengthening democracy, regional planning pilot programme, and local government associations).
- Liaise with MSU M&E officer to ensure proper management of the project and outcome evaluations;
- Participate in and coordinate periodic reviews and assessments for the monitoring and evaluation of multi-donor support to democratic governance.
- Participate with Programme Analysts in field visits
Support ACD to monitor and analyze new developments (policy, donor trends, reforms) and advise on timely readjustment of programme strategies and partnerships
- Support the ACD in keeping abreast of key developments in the area of democratic governance related to people participation, engagement of youth and women, strengthening democratic institutions and processes (Parliament, local elected bodies etc.), access to information and media, citizen oversight, public mechanisms of accountability as well as the progress in key government reform programmes including electoral reform, anti-corruption, public administration and public financial management reform, and decentralization and deconcentration.
- Monitor policy development and progress in key areas of democratic governance and relevant state reforms, as described above, that may enable better coordinated approaches to democratic governance issues.
- Conduct research and produce regular briefing notes on policy developments and progress in relation to the four key governance reforms linked to UNDP’s corporate agenda.
- Identify and monitor donor trends in support of democratic governance and monitor progress in the implementing of resource mobilization plans and targets.
- Support the formulation of new programs, initiatives and funding proposals to contribute to the CPAP governance outcomes
- Support ACD to identify partnerships and define engagement strategies with civil society organizations.
Provide advice in developing synergies and coordinating with other UNDP portfolios to maximize impact
- Coordinate with other UNDP’s portfolios to identify and develop synergies with other outcomes of the UNDP/CPAP (poverty reduction, environmental management, climate change).
- Support ACD in the overall oversight and coordination of the provincial planning pilots on with poverty and environment units.
Networking and knowledge sharing with UNDP’s network in relation to democratic governance
- Support identification and documentation of lessons learnt and best practices emerging from the governance portfolio and coordinate publication and dissemination with the communications unit
- Coordinate substantive inputs, lessons learnt and best practices emerging from governance portfolio and ensure knowledge sharing with UNDP corporate initiatives and global / regional practice networks
- Contribute to regional and global practice workshops and dialogues
The key result of the post is to have an impact on the overall success of the UNDP Democratic Governance portfolio’s implementation and reaching CPAP through improved synergies and coordination of the democratic governance portfolio with other UNDP portfolios and effective strategic planning, result based monitoring and evaluation, and resource mobilization. ource mobilization.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Promoting Ethics and Integrity / Creating Organizational Precedents
- Building support and political acumen
- Building staff competence, Creating an environment of creativity and innovation
- Building and promoting effective teams
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization
- Leveraging conflict in the interests of UNDP & setting standards
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking
Advocacy / Advancing Policy Oriented Agenda: analysis and creation of messages and strategies
- Creates effective advocacy strategies
- Contributes to the elaboration of advocacy strategies by identifying and prioritizing audiences and communication means
- Performs analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses
- Uses the opportunity to bring forward and disseminate materials for advocacy work
Building Strategic Partnerships: Identifying and building partnerships
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to UNDP’s mandate and strategic agenda
- Sensitizes UN Partners, donors and other international organizations to the UNDP’s strategic agenda, identifying areas for joint efforts
- Develops positive ties with civil society to build/strengthen UNDP’s mandate
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners
- Displays initiative, sets challenging outputs for him/herself and willingly accepts new work assignments
- Takes responsibility for achieving agreed outputs within set deadlines and strives until successful outputs are achieved
- Promotes UNDP’s agenda in inter-agency meetings
Innovation and Marketing new Approaches: Developing new approaches
- Seeks a broad range of perspectives in developing project proposals
- Generates for regional and innovative ideas and effective solutions to problems
- Looks at experience critically, drawing lessons, and building them into the design of new approaches
- Identifies new approaches and promotes their use in other situations
- Documents successes and uses them to project a positive image
- Creates an environment that fosters innovation and innovative thinking
- Makes the case for innovative ideas from the team with own supervisor
Resource Mobilization (For UNDP field duty station only): Implementing resource mobilization strategies
- Analyzes information on potential bilateral donors and national counterparts to recommend a strategic approach
- Identifies and compiles lessons learned
- Promotes and encourages country office action with local missions of donor countries as well as appropriate government authorities for increased contribution to UNDP resources, including cost sharing modalities
- Identifies country needs and develops proposals to be presented to donors and governments
- Develops a resource mobilization strategy at the country level
Promoting Organizational learning and Knowledge Sharing: Developing tools and mechanisms
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms
- Develops and/or participates in the development of tools and mechanisms, including identifying new approaches to promote individual and organizational learning and knowledge sharing using formal and informal methodologies
Job Knowledge and Technical Expertise: In-depth knowledge of the Subject-matter
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Serves as internal consultant in the area of expertise and shares knowledge with staff
- Continues to seeks new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals: Analysis and creation of messages and strategies
- Creates effective global advocacy messages/strategies
- Contributes to the elaboration of a global advocacy strategy by identifying and prioritizing audiences and messages
- Performed analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses
- Uses the opportunity to bring forward and disseminate materials for global advocacy work and adapts it for use at country level
Client Orientation: Contributing to positive outcomes for the client
- Anticipates client needs
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective
- Keeps the client informed of problems or delays in the provision of services
- Uses discretion and flexibility in interpreting rules in order to meet client needs and achieve organizational goals more effectively
- Solicits feedback on service provision and quality
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced University Degree in Political Science, Public Management and Administration or related social science fields.
- At least 5 years of work experience in program formulation and management, and coordination in the areas of governance reform programmes. Good knowledge and familiarity with UN/UNDP work in democratic governance.
- Experience and ability to work in a multi-cultural technical assistance team
- Excellent command of written and spoken English. Khmer is an asset.
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.