JUNIOR KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT OFFICER - IKNOW POLITICS
|Application Deadline :||10-Jan-12|
|Additional Category||Democratic Governance|
|Type of Contract :||Individual Contract|
|Post Level :||International Consultant|
|Languages Required :||
Arabic English French Spanish |
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||6 months|
The International Knowledge Network of Women in Politics (iKNOW Politics) is a joint Project between UNDP, UN Women, IDEA, IPU and NDI. iKNOW Politics, is designed to increase the number and effectiveness of women in political life by utilizing a technology enabled forum to provide access to resources, expertise, dialogue, and knowledge creation on women’s political participation.
Despite some encouraging data and statistics on women’s participation in politics, women still lack access to political leadership opportunities and resources at local, national and regional levels. In order to provide a mechanism to share best practices on women’s political participation and leadership, UNDP, UN Women, NDI, IPU, and IDEA established a global knowledge network for women in politics (iKNOW Politics). iKNOW Politics brings together women involved in politics around the world in order to gain access to valuable resources and advisory services, share interests and experiences, participate in training and development, network and collaborate on issues of interest. Network members have access to a cadre of experts and practitioners that can advise candidates and elected officials on how to develop and implement successful campaign and lobbying strategies with the goal of getting more women involved in politics.
The use of Information and Communications Technology (ICT) for Development can play a catalytic role in the achievement of key development goals. By providing innovative solutions to existing traditional challenges and gaps, ICTs can be strategically deployed to tackle some of the most burning issues on a large scale and at relatively low cost per beneficiary. However, an exclusive focus on the so-called “digital divide” will not help advance this agenda. iKNOW Politics bridges this gap through the online network connecting members in 4 languages and providing a host of resources and features to facilitate global knowledge creation on supporting political participation.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of iKNOW Politics Project Manager, the consultant will identify the resources from library and online platform to develop the network for supporting women in politics.
Specific Tasks - The consultant is expected to undertake the following tasks:
- Support iKNOW Politics project manager in order to maintain the iKNOW Politics website (daily updates, respond to queries)
- To develop on-line and multi-media tools and features for the network to facilitate greater knowledge sharing.
- To facilitate the compilation and dissemination of iKNOW Politics e-discussions and consolidated responses
- Support the development of pilot projects to enhance use of social media and information communication technologies to support women
- Support the work of the iKNOW Politics project manager in the creation of knowledge products that display best practices and lessons learnt, thereby further stimulating both the use of existing knowledge and further interaction between the members and experts on women’s political empowerment
- Conducting research and collecting knowledge material on women’s political empowerment
- Work on diverse databases relative to women political empowerment to further develop dynamic discussions on the iKNOW Politics website.
- Prepare quarterly newsletters in consultation with the project manager and the regional coordinators
- Undertake any other related tasks at the request of the Supervisor.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of the UN system;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Excellent writing, communication and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of work on women in politics and using technologies for development
- Previous experience with any of the 5 partners of iKNOW Politics.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to take initiative and be innovative.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team structure in a multicultural and virtual environment.
- Demonstrated ability to multitask under pressure and to meet strict deadlines often under hardship conditions;
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work effectively in teams, delivering through and with others;
- Self-management, including conflict management/negotiating skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Graduate degree in social sciences, communication & journalism and related areas.
- At least three years of professional experience on using technologies for development or related area
- Excellent knowledge of ICT for development and telecommunications
- Computer proficiency, including working knowledge of MS Office products (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), Front Page, Adobe In-Design; web-based management systems (DRUPAL).
- Excellent knowledge of women in politics and political participation
- Good documentation skills
- Knowledge of e-learning issues for women in politics
- Perfect command of English and one other language: French or Spanish or Arabic.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.