UN(E ) VOLONTAIRE NATIONAL(E) SPÉCIALISTE EN DÉVELOPPEMENT DES JEUNES
|Application Deadline :||27-Jan-12|
|Type of Contract :||UNV|
|Post Level :||UNV|
|Languages Required :||
Arabic English French |
|Duration of Initial Contract :||4 Months|
“Arab Youth Volunteering for a Better Future” aims to harness the immense power of volunteerism, self-help, solidarity and social capital that exists throughout the Arab region. The regional programme will support the establishment and/or the strengthening of national and regional infrastructure necessary to build the skills and capacities of Arab youth through volunteering efforts, and thereby enhance their participation in the socio-economic development of their countries and communities. This programme will be implemented in six countries – Egypt, Yemen, Syria, Jordan, Tunisia and Morocco – where youth unemployment has been identified as a major trigger for instability.
- Promote awareness of volunteering opportunities and participation of youth in sustainable development activities, including MDG achievement;
- Strengthen institutional infrastructure for youth participation and volunteering thereby leading to their empowerment and employability; including regional in the spirit of South-South cooperation;
- Harness and develop the attitudes, skills and capacities of youth as “agents of change” for peace and development in their communities and societies.
This four months assignment is to support the initiation phase (IP) that will be implemented by UNV HQ under the overall guidance and support of the Chief of Development Division and managed by the Portfolio Manager for Arab States.
A senior international expert on volunteerism and youth will be recruited to lead this IP and six national UN Volunteers Youth Development Specialists, who will be deployed in Egypt, Yemen, Syria, Jordan, Tunisia and Morocco. This team will constitute the technical team under this IP.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the Senior Volunteerism and Youth Advisor (SVYA) and the direct supervision of the UNV Programme Officer in the country, the Youth Development Specialist will undertake the following tasks:
- Review background documents that include national strategies, UN related to youth development, youth volunteering and employment in the Arab region;
- Review past and existing UNV documentations including lessons learned and best practices related to youth development and volunteering;
- Support the SVYA in conducting surveys and mapping of existing youth organizations, networks and activities in the country;
- In cooperation with the UNV PO, prepare for national consultation’s agenda and make all the necessary arrangement for the in-country mission;
- Support the organization of a regional workshop to discuss and validate the findings of national consultations and to identify implementing partners;
- Provide substantive inputs and support the development of a full programme document
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are encouraged to:
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark IVD);
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- Reflect on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities;
- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
- Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
Conditions of Service:
- At least three years’ work experience in development;
- Proven track record and experience with volunteerism for development;
- Knowledge and experience of volunteerism with its diverse manifestations and cultural settings;
- Good people and communication skills.
- A national assessment and mapping of the state of youth volunteerism in the country is conducted;
- A development of a regional programme document is supported;
- A final statement of achievements towards volunteerism for development during the assignment, such as reporting on the number of volunteers mobilized, activities participated in and capacities developed.
A 4-month contract; monthly volunteer living allowance (VLA) intended to cover housing, basic needs and utilities, equivalent to TND 600.00; settling-in-grant; life, health, and permanent disability insurance; resettlement allowance for satisfactory service.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree at post graduate level in the social sciences, management or other relevant field of study.
- Excellent analytical and (English language) report writing skills;
- Fluency in English and Arabic, French will an asset.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.