HUMAN RESOURCES ASSOCIATE
||New York, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
|Application Deadline :||17-Jun-12|
|Type of Contract :||FTA Local|
|Post Level :||GS-6|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One Year (Extendable)|
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Internally advertised General Service (GS) fixed-term appointment (FTA) positions located in Headquarters are open to GS staff members currently serving in New York/Washington D.C. who hold a UNDP permanent or FTA who are either US Permanent Residents, US citizens or holders of a valid G4 visa at the time of their application and whose G4 visa has been acquired on account of their employment in the UN Systems based in New York or Washington, DC.
Externally advertised GS fixed-term appointment and temporary appointment (TA) positions located in New York/Washington D.C. are open to candidates who are either US Permanent Residents, US Citizens or holders of a valid G4 visa at the time of their application and whose G4 visa has been acquired on account of their employment in the UN Systems based in New York or Washington, DC.
Current UNDP GS staff serving outside of HQ must meet the eligibility criteria stated above prior to their application.
Selected candidates who meet the above mentioned eligibility criteria are responsible for their own travel and/or relocation costs.
Selection to GS fixed-term appointment positions at Headquarters requires passing a UN administered clerical test (ASAT).
Applicants under serious consideration for short-listing of posts requiring accountancy and finance skills, must take the UNDP Accountancy and Finance Test (UNDP AFT) prior to short-listing.
The Human Resources Associate (HRA) manages the determination and implementation of benefits and entitlements of Fixed Term Appointments and Temporary Appointments- International Staff and General Service Staff in Headquarters, covering life and career events from appointment to beyond separation. The HRA is accountable for ensuring transparency, accuracy and assuring full compliance with Staff Regulations and Rules.
The HR Associate advises internal and external clients and partners of UNFPA on Benefits and Entitlements, Staff Regulations and Rules and HR guidelines and promotes a collaborative and client-oriented approach, sharing knowledge and best practice, including conducting training courses and coaching. Clients with whom there is direct contact include all categories of International Professional and headquarters support staff of UNFPA (except JPOs). Partners include other UN Organizations such as UN Women, UNU, UNV and partners in UNDP OHR and BOM, Medical, Insurance, Pension, and Transportation units and the Executive Officers/HR Associates in global UNDP.
The HRA is accountable for the integrity, transparency and equity of the management of UNFPA resources, particularly the contracts, benefits and entitlements management. The HRA is responsible for meeting the BES work plan deliverables and the HRA actively supports the Human Resources strategy. The HRA will be servicing UNFPA clients and partners but based under UNDP Benefits and Entitlements Services unit.
Duties and Responsibilities
Act as internal advisor on matters relating to benefits and entitlements, fostering partnerships with internal and external stakeholders by briefing and advising clients, staff, colleagues and partners of the rules and regulations and the interpretation thereof to achieve the following results:
- Comprehensive HR strategy including benefits and entitlements management
- Consistent approach in compliance with Staff Regulations and Rules
- Client and partner confidence in Benefits and Entitlement Services (BES) as an HR service provider
- HR policies and guidelines relating to Benefits and Entitlements are reviewed and revised as necessary
Administers, certifies and approves the processing of Benefits and Entitlements in full compliance with Staff Regulations and Rules and Financial Accountability Framework and has approval authority for non-discretionary decisions under the applicable staff rules and within the financial level of authority, to achieve the following results:
- Equity and transparency in the application of Staff Regulations and Rules
- Client understanding and confidence in BES as a credible HR service administrator
- A high quality, timely and accurate service is provided to clients and partners
- Accurate staff database for staff and talent management
Determine and approve financial entitlements related to contracts, including appointments, reassignments, ongoing entitlements and salaries, in ATLAS with level authority 2 to achieve the following results:
- Accurate determination of financial entitlements of personnel transactions
- Timely processing and approving financial payments to support the staff rotational policy
- Increased efficiency as a result of reduction in recoveries, advances and other exceptional payments
- Accurate processing of financial entitlements to correct UNFPA and third party funds
Recommend, create and maintain knowledge management prescriptive content for benefits and entitlements to achieve the following results:
- HR knowledge management system contains accurate and comprehensive coverage of Benefits and Entitlements matters
- Active participation on and the promotion of best practice on HR Network
- Staff are enabled and empowered through access to BES knowledge database
- Full transparency and administration of Benefits and Entitlements
- Continuous learning and development for HR staff by keeping abreast with HR best practices
- Conduct training courses on Benefits and Entitlements
Identify areas for improving processes and HR policies and developing our business requirements to maximize efficiency and simplify procedures, to achieve the following results:
Reduce unnecessary paperwork and administrative processes
- Recommendations for improved and the HR policies and guidelines
- Optimal efficiency in processing Benefits and Entitlements
- Streamline payment and entitlement procedures to deliver optimal client service
- Enhance work efficiency through constant evaluation and analysis of HR processes
- Reduce costs of BES operations and related costs to clients and partners
- Demonstrates commitment to UNFPA's mission, vision and values
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Encourages office staff to share knowledge and contribute to UNDP practice areas
- Develops substantive knowledge of one or more Practice Areas
- Promotes a learning environment in the office
- Provides helpful feedback and advice to others in the office
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized activities related to HR management, including administration of recruitment, contracting and performance evaluation, monitoring of transactions, reporting
- Strong IT skills
- Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new systems
Leadership and Self-Management
Solicits feedback from staff about the impact of his/her own behaviour
- Focuses on result for the client
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Remains calm, in control and good humoured even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education with specialized certification in HR. University Degree in HR, Business or Public Administration would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 6 years of progressively responsible HR or other relevant work experience is required at the national or international level. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish would be an asset.
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.