ADVISER TO THE MINISTRY OF EDUCATION (EU HIGH LEVEL POLICY ADVICE MISSION TO THE REPUBLIC OF MOLDOVA)
|Application Deadline :||10-Mar-12|
|Additional Category||Millennium Development Goals|
|Type of Contract :||Individual Contract|
|Post Level :||International Consultant|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||18 months|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||18 months with possibility of extension|
The overall objective of the project is to support the Government to implement its wider reform agenda, the Government Activity Programme and the National Development Strategy Moldova 2020, and in particular to assist the Government to develop the capacities required for the preparation, negotiation and implementation of the Association Agreement, including the Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Area, and visa liberalisation.
- Strengthen the policy-making, strategic planning and policy management capacities of selected line Ministries and State Agencies involved in the negotiation and implementation of the Association Agreement and visa liberalisation
- Enhance stakeholders’ knowledge and awareness of EU policies, legislation and regulations in sectors strategic to the conclusion of the Association Agreement including the Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Area, and to the implementation of visa liberalisation.
The EUHLPAM will achieve these objectives through the continued delivery of an optimal mix of policy, legal and institutional advice. The EUHLPAM will ensure that the Moldovan authorities have direct access to EU best practice and reform experience in order to strengthen policy design and implementation.
Duties and Responsibilities
Scope of work:
The Adviser will provide strategic advice to the Minister of Education on policy making and strengthening the capacity of the Ministry of Education in the promotion of education reforms committed to in the Government Activity Programme.
The key responsibilities will include but not limited to:
- Strengthening the capacities of the ministry in policy development, strategy planning and policy implementation
- Provide information and advise on European policies on EU integration, including in the education sector
- Provide advice on best practices and experiences in the implementaton of EU education reforms
- Provide strategic advice and guidance to the Minister of Education in designing and implementing the education strategies and plans to communicate the implementation of the Government Program and EU integration and accession agenda
- Provide strategic advice to the Ministry of Education on the processes for education reform and EU integration through the implementation of the Association Agreement, implementation of Bologna process, Lisbon Convention, consolidated education strategy for 2011-2015, implementation of the structural reform and plan of action in basic education, ECD, residential reform of child care, development and implementation of the national frame of qualifications, reform of secondary vocational education and secondary specialized education, implementation of university autonomy, modernization of the higher education quality assurance system.
- Provide guidance for the development of policy brief for the reformation and development of the education system in the context on Government Activity Programme and EU agenda, development of the sector development strategy Education 2020;
- Experience in providing consultation and advice to EU/EC, UN Agencies or other international development partners such as WB, DFID, SIDA etc.
- Excellent analytical skills, skills of synthesizing information and results based management.
- Experience in national negotiations on EU integration is an asset.
- Previous work experience in Moldova would be an advantage
The international policy advisors are required to have a substantial presence in Moldova (at least 60% of the time) and operate according to a prioritised work plan, which will be established in close consultation with their counterparts and agreed upon by the European Union, the Beneficiary and the UNDP. These work plans will contain specific objectives, a detailed description of the activities, expected outputs and results, supported by objectively verifiable indicators of achievement.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree, preferably a PhD Degree in Public Policy, Public Administration, Management, or other relevant areas.
- Preferably more than 15 years of professional experience.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in providing strategic advice and development of public development policies.
- Knowledge of the education sector peculiarities, national and European development framework and required norms and documents.
- Substantive overall understanding of development trends and ability to present related issues clearly both to a general and a specialist audience.
- Outstanding drafting and communication skills.
- Fluency in English.
- Fluency in Romanian or Russian would be a strong asset.
Familiarity with relevant IT software tools.
Communication with Applicants
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
UNDP will perform an evaluation of the technical proposal prior to any price proposals being discussed. The technical evaluation will be represented through a desk review of applications and further interview of the short-listed candidates.
The technical part is evaluated on the basis of its responsiveness to the Terms of Reference (TOR). Namely:
- Educational background – 10 points max;
- Relevant experience on similar assignments – 10 points max
- Relevant technical expertise – 10 points max
- Language Skills – 10 points max
- Interview - 60 points max
- Total Maximum Score: 100 points
UNDP will further consider the price proposals only from the candidates that passed the minimum technical threshold of 70% of the obtainable score of 100 points in the evaluation of the technical proposals.
UNDP will contact the technically qualified candidates to provide a financial offer for the proposed vacancy. UNDP reserves the right to offer the financial remuneration to the qualified candidates within the limits of the available project budget and rates of remuneration applicable for the international consultancies within the EU High Level Policy Advise Mission.
Award of Contract:
The contract shall be awarded to the technically most responsive candidate subject to a mutual agreement of the remuneration level within the usual EUHLPAM advisory service remuneration rates.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.