PROJECT MANAGER - SUPPORT TO JUSTICE SECTOR REFORM PROJECT
|Application Deadline :||14-May-12|
|Type of Contract :||Service Contract|
|Post Level :||SB-4|
|Languages Required :||
English Russian |
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||7 months, with possibility of extension|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||31 December 2013|
|The project aims to support the Ministry of Justice in developing, coordinating and implementing justice sector reform measures. The project seeks to address urgent short-term capacity needs of MoJ at a time when it faces serious financial and human resources gaps. In addition to helping the Government pursue critical reform priorities, the intervention is designed to catalyze the implementation of justice sector reform. The current series of the project activities are designed as strategic entry points into the broader effort to reform the justice sector in Moldova.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Justice/Human Rights Programme Analyst and the ARR, Governance, Justice and Human Rights Portfolio Manager, the incumbent provides effective and efficient management of the project through a range of actions contributing to the design, planning, management and monitoring of project activities. The Project Manager applies and promotes the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations. He/she is responsible and accountable to the Project Board for the project results.
The Project Manager works in close collaboration with the Programme, Operations, Communications and other project teams in the Country Office (CO) for effective achievement of results, anticipating and contributing to resolving complex programme/project-related issues and information delivery. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
Duties and Responsibilities
|The Project Manager, under the direct supervision of the Programme Analyst and in close cooperation with the ARR, Governance, Justice and Human Rights Portfolio Manager, and the National Project Coordinator, will ensure the provision of development services and products (commensurate with the scope of the Programme) of the highest quality and standards to national counterparts and clients through applying HRBA and GE approaches. More specifically:
- Ensure the timely and efficient delivery of Project outputs and products leading to the achievement of expected results;
- Within the strategic framework concerted with the national counterparts, prepare work-plans reflecting the scope of activities, timing, sequencing, cost and other inputs for the implementation of the Project activities;
- Be responsible for the implementation of the Project work plan according to indicators for achieving planned results, as well as for the overall management of the Project in accordance to prevailing UNDP rules, regulations and procedures;
- Liaise with the national counterparts, donors and the UNDP office to ensure that Project results are achieved and Project resources are managed efficiently and effectively;
- Present work-plans, periodic narrative progress reports and expenditures status reports to the Project Board and UNDP Country Office;
- Ensure the effective management of human resources pertaining to the Project, including both staff, consultants and short-term experts; conduct periodic performance appraisals; build, lead and motivate a solid team of professionals; validate terms of reference for international and national consultants;
- Manage efficiently the financial resources of the Project, including budgeting and budget revisions, as well as expenditure tracking and reporting;
- Continuously record and maintain relevant Project activities, issues, risks, etc in the UNDP Atlas Project Management Module (software platform);
- Lead and coordinate the organization of meetings, workshops, conferences, trainings, study tours and related activities relevant to the implementation of the Project;
- Identify key performance indicators as well as develop and maintain a monitoring system to ensure effective information sharing, provision of feedback and elaboration of top quality progress reports;
- Ensure high quality information and visibility of the Project activities to the mass media and stakeholders;
- Support the Programme Analyst and CO Programme section in general in programme development, formulation and strategic processes and in maintaining effective dialogue and coordination with National Coordinator, representatives of Government, Civil Society and relevant donor representatives;
- Perform any other duties connected directly with the implementation of the Project as required.
The key results have a direct impact on the overall successful achievement of the UNDAF outcome Nr.1: By 2011 (2012), public institutions with the support of Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) are better able to ensure good governance, rule of law and equal access to justice and promotion of human rights and from 2013, the project falls within UN-Republic of Moldova Partnership Framework Outcome 1.2: “Justice sector actors are better able to promote access to justice and uphold rule of law in compliance with international commitments”. Accurate analysis and presentation of information enhances UNDP’s position as a strong development partner. The information provided facilitates decision-making of the Project Steering Committee, the Beneficiary and UNDP management.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
- Exerts strict adherence to corporate rules, regulations and procedures. Familiarity with the internal control framework and results-based management tools is a must.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Ensures that the project is consistent with UN/UNDP values.
- Treats peers fairly by maintaining consistent values inspiring trust and confidence through personal credibility.
- Accepts responsibility and accountability for the quality of the outcome of his/her decisions.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience.
- Focuses on tasks/activities which have a strategic impact on programme and capacity development activities.
- Promotes a supportive environment to enhance partnerships, leverages resources and build support for UNDP’s strategic initiatives.
- Collaborates with regional, national and local partners to create and apply knowledge and concepts that will help partners achieve UNDP’s development objectives within the country and regional context.
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise / In-depth knowledge of the Subject-matter
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines.
- Serves as internal consultant in the area of expertise and shares knowledge with staff.
- Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit.
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally.
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results-Based Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of Programme, managing data, reporting.
- Ability to provide input to business processes, re-engineering, implementation of new system, including new IT based systems;
- Ability to engage with various partners and stakeholders at different levels, to establish and maintain contacts with senior-level officials of the host government and represent UNDP in national and regional fora;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, is required to obtain, evaluate and interpret factual data and to prepare accurate and complete reports and other documents;
- Capacity to implement the strategic vision and programmatic goals as laid down in the Project Document;
- Proven performance in organizing and coordinating major initiatives, events or challenging inter-organizational activities;
- Adapts flexibly to changing situations, overcomes obstacles and recovers quickly from set-backs.
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Ability to achieve results and meet strict deadlines in an effective manner, maintaining a high quality standard throughout;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Tolerates conditions of stress, uncertainty or ambiguity and continues to maintain a positive outlook and to work productively;
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team and to foster team spirit and synergy.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in law, public administration or related areas. Additional training and certification in project management would be an advantage.
- At least five years of progressive working experience in the design, management and implementation of development assistance projects and/or working in a relevant position to this post.
- Previous experience in development assistance or related work for a donor organization, governmental institutions, NGO or private sector / consulting firm is a very strong advantage.
- Extensive experience in managing a multidisciplinary team.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
This is a local position, therefore only citizens of the Republic of Moldova are eligible to apply. Applications should be submitted on line and include fully completed Personal History Form (P11) as attachment instead of CV/resume.
- Fluency in oral and written English, Romanian and Russian.
- Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Ukrainian or sign language would be an asset.
Please note that only applicants who are short-listed will be contacted.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.