PROJECT ASSOCIATE - EU HIGH LEVEL POLICY ADVICE MISSION TO THE REPUBLIC OF MOLDOVA (EUHLPAM) PROJECT
|Application Deadline :||25-May-12|
|Type of Contract :||Service Contract|
|Post Level :||SB-3|
|Languages Required :||
English Russian |
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||7 months, with possibility of extension|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||1 year|
|The overall objective of the project is to support the Government to implement its wider reform agenda, the Government Activity Programme and the National Development Strategy Moldova 2020, and in particular to assist the Government to develop the capacities required for the preparation, negotiation and implementation of the Association Agreement, including the Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Area, and visa liberalization.
The specific objectives are to: Strengthen the policy-making, strategic planning and policy management capacities of selected line Ministries and State Agencies involved in the negotiation and implementation of the Association Agreement and visa liberalization; Enhance stakeholders’ knowledge and awareness of EU policies, legislation and regulations in sectors strategic to the conclusion of the Association Agreement including the Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Area, and to the implementation of visa liberalization. The EUHLPAM will achieve these objectives through the continued delivery of an optimal mix of policy, legal and institutional advice. The EUHLPAM will ensure that the Moldovan authorities have direct access to EU best practice and reform experience in order to strengthen policy design and implementation.
Project has been active since January 2010, and its current phase is planned to end in September 2013.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Project Coordinator the incumbent assists in the effective and efficient management of the project through a range of actions contributing to the design, planning, and management and monitoring of project activities. The Project Associate applies and promotes the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
Project Associate, together with Project Clerk/Driver will support administratively a large and complex team of 15 international, 9 national advisors, as well as the Project Coordinator/Administrator in exercising their functions.
The Project Associate works in close collaboration with the Programme, Operations, Communications and other project teams in the Country Office (CO) for effective achievement of results, anticipating and contributing to resolving complex programme/project-related issues and information delivery. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
Functions / Key Results Expected
- Pro-actively contribute to day-to-day project implementation and ensure conformity to expected results and project work-plans;
- Provide support to international consultants in the implementation of their tasks for the achievement of project results (communication, contracts, agenda, visas, hotel reservations, etc);
- Provide support to national consultants in the implementation of their tasks for the achievement of project results;
- Maintain records on all project personnel and their respective status (contracts, ToRs, time and attendance – if appropriate, etc.) in accordance with accepted policies and procedures;
- Prepare and issue contracts;
- Make pertinent logistical arrangements for the prompt and effective implementation of the programme activities;
- Draft minutes of the regular Team meetings, Project Board and other project related meetings;
- Assume overall responsibility for administrative matters of a more general nature, such as registry and maintenance of project files and records;
- Arrange external and internal meetings (including the meetings of the Project Board, Technical level, as well as other relevant meetings etc.) and coordinate, as applicable short-term logistical support staff;
- Prepare summary of substantive reports submitted by international and national consultants;
- Maintain relevant information on the EUHLPAM website and the project intranet;
- Arrange for and assist the project coordinator in executing visibility activities.
- Prepare requests for advance of funds and/or direct payments;
- Monitor budget expenditures and maintain a proper record of approved project budgets and their revisions;
- Prepare proposals for budget revisions;
- Prepare and submit expenditure and programme budget status reports;
- Respond to queries from the EU Delegation and UNDP with respect to financial aspects of the programme, liaise with UNDP-appointed and external auditors wherever required;
- Prepare recurring reports as scheduled and special reports as required for budget preparations and audit;
- Advise and assist international advisors and national consultants on all aspects of allowances, travel claims and other financial matters and calculate payments due for claims and services;
- Undertake other financial and administrative tasks on an ad hoc basis.
Perform other relevant duties as required.
- In accordance with the Work Plan arrange for procurement of equipment, supplies and services;
- Create and mange e-requisitions in ATLAS;
- Arrange for equipment maintenance and insurance as required;
- Ensure that contractual processes follow the stipulated UNDP procedures;
- Physically clear and ensure delivery of equipment and supplies procured for the various programme sites;
- Maintain an equipment and spare inventory including verification and transfer when required.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
- Exerts strict adherence to corporate rules, regulations and procedures. Familiarity with the internal control framework and results-based management tools is a must.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Knowledge Management and Learning
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Shares knowledge and experience;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills;
Leadership and Self-Management
- Proven ability to problem-solve, and think creatively to develop and implement smart business solutions in a challenging socio-economic environment;
- Ability to establish and maintain contacts with senior-level officials of the host government required. Excellent interpersonal skills are essential part of the job;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, is required to obtain, evaluate and interpret factual data and to prepare accurate and complete reports and other documents;
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
Required Skills and Experience
- University Degree in economics, finance, accounting, law, public administration or other related field. Master’s Degree is preferred.
- Seven years of professional experience of which at least five years of experience in developmental assistance projects, including administrative work, accounting/finance, economics, or other substantive work.
- Experience working with an international organization, donor organization, consulting company, or NGO is a definite advantage.
- Previous knowledge of the EU-Moldova relations and of Moldovan state institutions is an advantage.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling web-based management systems.
Applications should be submitted on line and preferably include Personal History Form (P11). Failure to disclose prior employment or making false representations on this form will be grounds for withdrawal of further consideration of his/her application or termination, where the appointment or contract has been issued.
- Fluency in both oral and written English and Romanian is a must. Knowledge of Russian is an advantage.
- Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Russian, Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Ukrainian or sign language would be an asset.
Please note that only applicants who are short-listed will be contacted. Only citizens of the Republic of Moldova are eligible to apply.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.