|Application Deadline :||30-May-12|
|Type of Contract :||FTA Local|
|Post Level :||NO-B|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One year renewable|
The national ownership of the UN agenda in Botswana and the development of new partnerships at national and international levels depend heavily upon the dissemination of UN programmes in Botswana and worldwide.
The challenge for the UN Country Team is therefore to communicate more effectively with its stakeholders/partners and interested individuals around the world in order to build awareness and ownership and generate support, within the framework of an integrated UN presence in Botswana.
Under the guidance of the UNCT, direct supervision of the Resident Coordinator, and working closely with the RCO Planning and Monitoring Analyst, the UN Communication Analyst, is responsible for helping to strengthen the UN’s profile in Botswana.
The UN Communications Analyst provides inputs to the design, management and implementation of the communications and publication strategies which are geared to influence the development agenda, promote public and media outreach and mobilize political and financial support for the United Nations in Botswana.
The Communications Analyst works in close consultation and collaboration with the communications staff of all UN Agencies in Botswana through the UN Inter-agency Communications Group to develop, implement and monitor the UN country team communication strategy.
The Communications Analyst also works in close collaboration with the United Nations Country Team, Programme management and Operations teams, Government officials, international and local media, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors, NGOs and civil society ensuring successful UN communication strategy implementation.
The Communication Analyst will be the key element to ensure that the UN speaks “one voice” and that the interaction between the UN programmes and their beneficiaries is promoted.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensures planning, design and implementation of internal and external strategies for communications and outreach focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support to the UN Communication Group in the development, implementation and monitoring of the UN Communication Strategy;
- Drafting/editing of UN communications and outreach strategy based on the corporate communications strategy;
- Cultivate and maintain effective working relationships with government, donors, civil society organizations and other relevant partners and identify opportunities for advocacy and communication partnerships;
- Preparation of talking points and speeches for major advocacy events organized by/attended by the RC, in close consultation with the UNCT and partners public information;
- Ensure access for journalists to subject matter experts;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice including corporate communications repositories;
- Organization of roundtable discussions, press conferences, briefing sessions, interviews, launches, etc. Forging of a “One UN” image through publicizing the significance of local UN reform efforts, joint programmes common services. Organization and implementation of joint UN information campaigns (UN Day, World AIDS Day, etc.);
- Promote social media use within the organization;
- Increase participation of UN staff in support of the One Programme;
- Increase staff commitment to Joint UN programming by supporting and facilitating information haring; teamwork; Strengthen existing non-coordinated efforts towards a common recognized and agreed goal;
- Communicate and advocate the One UN Programme so that it is adhered to within the UN place.
Supervision of the design and maintenance of the UN web site, intranet, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Supervision of the design and maintenance of the UNCT web site based on corporate requirements in cooperation with the ICT staff. Preparation of the content for the web sites to ensure consistency of the materials Maintenance of the website ensuring that it is lively, up to date and media friendly.
Support the RC and UNCT to engage with the media – through formal and informal contacts, by identifying potential stories, arranging interviews, encouraging the participation of media in workshops and other events.
Ensures development and implementation of the UN publications and promotional strategy and plan focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Advice on the communication aspects of the UNCT documents such as the UNDAF, UNCT Retreat Report, RC Annual Reports, annual joint programs review reports;
- Identification of storylines for publications and drafting of substantive articles contributing to debates on key development issues.
Supports the business development focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Launches and campaigns on UN activities, UN Reform, results of MDGs, in association with the UN communications group
- Promotion and dissemination of corporate advocacy materials for launching flagship initiatives and publications outreach.
Maintenance of increased coverage and understanding of the UN’s work in Botswana through regular media contacts and provision of newsworthy information to partners, public entities and, where possible, donors.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN's values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UN;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
Functional Competencies: Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development;
- Acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Knowledge and experience in communications principles and strategies;
- Ability to implement communications and publications strategies;
- Ability to provide input to business process re – engineering, implementation of new system, including new IT based system for better inter agency communication;
- Ability to implement communications and publications strategies;
- Good knowledge of current development issues particularly those pertinent to the UN agenda;
- Ability to conceptualize issues and analyze data;
- Demonstrates strong IT skills;
- Strong organization skills and ability to work with little supervision;
- Creative, enthusiastic, professional, cooperative as well as a demonstrate initiative and commitment to achieving professional communication standards;
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistantly approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Excellent communications skills (both written and oral).
Required Skills and Experience
- Masters Degree or equivalent in communications, journalism, media relations.
- Minimum 3 years of proven experience in public relations, communications and/or advocacy;
- Demonstrated ability to produce high quality, creative communication materials; proven track record of previous communication achievements;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office and publication software packages; good knowledge and experience in handling of web-based management systems; experience in creating, maintaining and updating webpages.
- Previous experience with a multilateral or international organization is helpful but not mandatory.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.