DRIVER (UNFPA) - FOR LIBYAN NATIONALS ONLY
|Application Deadline :||04-Jul-12|
|Type of Contract :||FTA Local|
|Post Level :||GS-2|
|Languages Required :||
Arabic English |
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One year (renewable)|
|Under the guidance and direct supervision of the UNFPA Head of Mission and in close cooperation with the Country Office team, the Driver performs driving, maintenance of vehicle, clerical and logistics functions.
Duties and Responsibilities
|Result Oriented Functional Statement:
- Drives UNFPA Libya staff to various functions including monitoring and evaluation trips;
- Meets official personnel at the airport and facilitates immigration and customs formalities;
- Responsible for the day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle, performs minor repairs and ensures that the vehicle is kept clean and in good running condition at all times;
- Collects and delivers mail or documents when required;
- Logs official trips, daily mileage, gas consumption, oil changes, greasing etc.
- Ensures that the steps required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accident;
- Ensures the compliance with the UN Security measures;
- Whenever possible, delivers RH and other commodities/supplies procured by the UNFPA office warehouses to partner organizations;
- Assists in the logistical arrangements of UNFPA's meetings/workshops by setting up and operating audio visual equipment, distributing printed materials, etc.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Independently gather, analyze, interpret and utilize information from a wide range of sources;
- Special emphasis should be placed on information pertaining to his/her functions/duties (i.e. on traffic rules and regulations, security measures, etc.)
- Establishes effective relationships with internal and external clients, actively supports the interests of the client and researches potential solutions to client needs;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule and addresses client needs and deadlines promptly and diplomatically.
Implementing management systems:
- Maintains information/databases on system design features and develops system components;
- Makes recommendations relative to work-processing approaches and procedures which would lead to more efficient systems design.
Integrity/Commitment to mandate:
Acts in accordance with UN/UNFPA values and holds himself/herself accountable for actions taken;
- Acts in accordance with UN/UNFPA values and holds himself/herself accountable for actions taken;
- Demonstrates personal commitment to UNFPA’s mandate and to the organizational vision.
Knowledge sharing/Continuous learning:
- Takes responsibility for personal learning and career development and actively seeks opportunities to learn through formal and informal means;
- Learns from others inside and outside the organization adopting best practices created by others;
- Actively produces and disseminates new knowledge.
- Demonstrates an international outlook, appreciates differences in values and learns from cultural diversity;
- Takes actions appropriate to the religious and cultural context and shows respect, tact and consideration for cultural differences;
- Observes and inquires to understand the perspectives of others and continually examines his/her own biases and behaviors.
Working in teams:
- Works collaboratively with colleagues inside and outside of UNFPA to allow the achievement of common goals and shared objectives;
- Actively seeks resolution of disagreements and supports the decisions of the team.
Communicating information and ideas:
- Delivers oral and written information in a timely, effective and easily understood manner;
- Participates in meetings and group discussions actively listening and sharing information;
- Frankly expresses ideas with the intent to resolve issues, considers what others have to say and responds appropriately to criticism.
Conflict and self management:
- Manages personal reactions by remaining calm, composed and patient even when under stress or during a crisis and avoids engaging in unproductive conflict;
- Expresses disagreement in constructive ways that focus on the issue not the person;
- Tolerates conditions of uncertainty or ambiguity and continues to work productively.
Working with people
Empowerment /Developing people/Performance management:
- Integrates himself/herself into the work unit seeking opportunities to originate action and actively contributing to achieving results with other members of the team;
- Knows his/her limitations and strength, welcomes constructive criticism and feedback and gives hones and contractive feedback to colleagues and supervisors;
- Seeks new challenges and assignments and exhibits a desire to learn;
- Accepts responsibility for personal performance participating in individual work planning and objective setting seeking feedback and acting to continuously improve performance.
Personal Leadership and Effectiveness
Analytical and strategic thinking:
- Use appropriate analytical tools and logic to gather, define and analyze information, situations and problems and draws logical conclusions from data;
- Demonstrates an ability to set clear and appropriate priorities focusing on tasks and activities which have a strategic impact on results;
- Anticipates and meets information needs of the team and other stakeholders.
Results orientation/Commitment to excellence:
Strives to achieve high personal standard of excellence. Takes action that goes beyond responding to the obvious needs of the situation and persists until successful outcomes are achieved.
Appropriate and transparent decision making:
- Makes timely and appropriate decisions taking into consideration various and complex issues and takes responsibility for the impact of decisions;
- Inquires to understand the perspectives of others and continually examines his/her own biases and behaviors.
Required Skills and Experience
- At least 3 years of experience as a Driver;
- UN or Diplomatic missions experience is an asset.
- Valid and clean driver's license;
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations;
- Chauffeur protocol and courtesies and local roads and conditions;
- Skills in minor vehicle repairs;
- Initiative and discretion.
- Fluency in Arabic;
- Working knowledge of English.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.