EXPERT IN SAM AND GENERAL EQUILIBRIUM MODELLING - CENTRAL STATISTICAL OFFICE
|Application Deadline :||04-Jun-12|
|Additional Category||Democratic Governance|
|Type of Contract :||Other|
|Post Level :||Other|
|Languages Required :||
Arabic English |
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||1 Year|
The State of Kuwait in coordination with UNDP strives to enhance institutional capacities at various Government agencies in coordination with the General Secretariat of the Supreme Council for Planning and Development. In this context, the Central Statistical Office (CSO), which implements a project with the UNDP under the auspices of the Kuwait-UNDP Cooperation Framework, intends to recruit an expert to assist in developing and improving its economic statistics functions.
Objectives of the consultancy:
- Enhance capacity building efforts and development of statistical work in the CSO;
- Improve the economic statistical tasks of the CSO with high efficiency and in a timely manner;
- Strengthen the analytical study on SAM building;
- Revise and update the Computable General Equilibrium Model (CGEM);
- Build up to date Social Accounting Matrix for Kuwait.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Consultant shall effectively participate in capacity building efforts and development of statistical work in the CSO by recommending plans and drafting action programs that include specific projects and participate in their implementation. The projects are:
- Supervision of an analytical study on SAM and CGEM.
Statistical Projects relating to the Development Plans (PMO Office - The consultant shall supervise and/or participate in the following projects:
- Building a Computable General Equilibrium Model (CGEM);
- Post-2011 Census Studies;
- Building a Social Accounting Matrix for Kuwait.
- Supervision of Development of socio-economic indicators for monitoring implementation of the Development Plan;
- Transfer of economic and statistical expertise and knowledge to the supervisory and senior staff of the CSO;
- Development of training programs for junior and middle cadres;
- Revision of statistical outputs for quality assurance;
- Supervision of working papers prepared for workshops and conferences;
- Supervision of cooperation modalities with regional and international statistical organizations;
- The consultant shall closely monitor the quality and timely completion of relevant project mentioned above.
- Evaluation report on the status quo of the CSO in respect to the required consultancy;
- A report with executive recommendations with executable action program to enhance the work of the beneficiary in accordance with the output of the evaluation report;
- Report on the capacities of the CSO’s staff;
- Progress report approved by the UNDP Office and the beneficiary;
- Conduct relevant training as requested by beneficiary;
- Final report should include recommendations for future action.
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills;
- Consistently approaches work with a constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills;
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors;
- Remains calm and in control even under pressure;
- Demonstrates openness and ability to deal with change.
Required Skills and Experience
- Ph.D. in Economic/Modelling or related disciplines.
- Significant experience in Statistics and Statistical modelling.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.