LOCAL SECURITY ASSOCIATE (LSA)
|Application Deadline :||14-Jun-12|
|Type of Contract :||FTA Local|
|Post Level :||GS-6|
|Languages Required :||
Arabic English |
|Duration of Initial Contract :||1 year|
|Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Security Adviser (SA), Deputy Security Adviser (DSA), the Local Security Assistant assists in the implementation of security operations and all matters relating to the management of safety and security for UN personnel in the country or in the region of assignment.
Duties and Responsibilities
Security Coordination and Liaison:
- Coordinate with host government regarding UN VIP Visits;
- Prepare Security risk Assessments for VIP Visits;
- Coordination with Advance Close Protection teams;
- Hotels and UN premises/venues security assessment;
- Residential risk assessments.
Assists in maintenance of the Security Plan:
- Helps in the preparation and review of the UN Security Plan;
- Supports actions during the implementation of the Security Plan, as required;
- Support the SA in preparing Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s).
Provides support in organizing and conducting training and drills:
- Conduct Wardens Trainings and Drills, mass casualty exercises and building evacuation drills;
- Assist the DSA and conduct Agency Security Days;
- Prepare and perform Security Focal Point Training;
- Perform Security induction briefings for new arrival and new Staff members;
- Monitor Basic and Advance Security Training Courses for staff at the duty station.
- Contribute to the collection of security information, collation and dissemination;
- Develops presentations as required for various security meetings.
Assists DSA in management of all security databases:
- Becomes the technical expert with in the DSS unit for management and input of information into all security databases;
- Develops and maintains databases as required;
- Provides reporting and technical information to support security requirements.
Performs other security-related tasks assigned by the SA/DSA:
- Performs security clearance function in consultation with the SA;
- Responds to staff members’ immediate requests for assistance, once approved by SA/DSA;
- Prepares security related Arabic/English language correspondence;
- Attend and support during Security Cell meetings;
- Act as back up for other LSA duties and responsibilities.
- Commitment to the ideals of the United Nations Charter and the Organization’s core values – Professionalism, Integrity and Respect for Diversity;
- Planning and Organizing: Demonstrated ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor his/her own work plan with minimum supervision. Ability to work under pressure or in crisis situations. Availability to travel within the area of responsibility;
- Creativity: Ability to actively seek to improve services, offer new and different options to solve problems/meet client needs, and promote and persuade others to consider new ideas;
- Teamwork: Proven interpersonal skills and the ability to listen and work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
- Communication: Proven and sustained communication (verbal and written) skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Degree;
- University Degree desirable especially in IT related issues
- 6 years experience in security, preferably in the military or police context or related field of work at a proficient level (preferably officer level). Prior experience with the UN system or an international NGO is desirable.
- Fluency in English speaking and writing skills and national language of the duty station.
Other Skills and Requirements:
- Knowledge of radio operation;
- Experience in diplomatic security, protection and intelligence considered an asset;
- Solid computers skills (MS Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint);
- Possession of a valid driver’s license;
- Ability to travel;
- Physically fit.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.