TRANSITIONAL TECHNICAL ADVISOR
|Application Deadline :||18-Jun-12|
|Type of Contract :||FTA International|
|Post Level :||P-4|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One Year with a possibility of renewal.|
An experienced professional is required to serve as a Transitional Technical Expert (TTA) to Statistics Botswana. Statistics Botswana, an autonomous body established under an ACT of Parliament No.15 of 2009, is Botswana’s Statistical Authority. A TTA with a strong statistical background and leadership experience at a senior level, preferably in a Statistical Authority or in a senior advisory capacity to such an authority, is required to help the Statistics Botswana Executive Management Team establish the organisation as a robust statistical authority
The TTA shall account for his work at two levels:
- In operational terms, the TTA will, as a member of the Statistics Botswana Executive Management Team, report to the Statistician General. The TTA shall therefore be required to develop an annual performance plan (APP), based on these TOR and the Strategic Plan of Statistics Botswana, and submit it to the Statistician general for review and approval. The Statistician General’s assessment of the performance of the TTA will thus be a critical input into the TTA’s performance review;
- On technical matters, the TTA will work closely with UNDP and other UN agencies for sharing knowledge, experiences and expertise as well as providing inputs on the work related to the United Nations Programme Operational Plan (UNPOP).
On matters of performance, the TTA shall, as a UNDP contract holder, report to the UNDP Deputy Resident Representative (DRR). His performance shall be assessed based on a formal Results and Competency Assessment (RCA) derived from the APP performance Plan approved by the Statistician General. The Policy Advisor shall prepare and present quarterly progress and annual progress reports to the DRR as part of his/her performance management.
The TTA shall also make presentations to programme coordinating structures and relevant government structures as appropriate.
Duties and Responsibilities
The TTA shall execute the following functions;
The TTA shall function as a Technical Advisor to the Statistician General.In this regard, he/she shall:
- Provide policy and strategy advise to the Statistician General and the Executive management Team of Statistics Botswana;
- Provide advice on, conceptualise and oversee consultancy work commissioned to provide technical support to Statistics Botswana to ensure the institution receives quality advisory services;
- Support the preparation of technical briefs for senior management, the Statistics Board and other government structures, including Cabinet and legislative committees on issues related to statistics, including results of technical work undertaken by Statistics Botswana.
Planning and Management:
The TTA shall be a key member of the Statistics Botswana Executive management team. In this capacity, he/she shall:
- Develop and oversee the implementation of a transitional strategy based on the recommendations of the Statistics Board.The task entails: The development of an operational roadmap to implement the strategic decisions of the Statistics Board effectively and efficiently in the interest of Statistics Botswana; Support, in an oversight capacity, the development of robust policies and procedures in the critical areas of human resources management, finance and administration, audit and risk management and procurement to ensure adequate internal controls;
- Oversee the development a National Strategy for the Development of Statistics (NSDS);
- Develop a business model to position Statistics Botswana as a credible, competent and sustainable statistical Authority. This will entail profiling Statistics Botswana’s market, developing the requisite product suite and articulating Statistics Botswana’s business plan to respond to the needs of its market;
- Oversee the development of: an up to date Information Technology platform to ensure the efficient and timely collection, classification, storage archiving and dissemination of data. This shall entail the development of an integrated statistical database; Effective Systems and processes for the coordination of the various components of the Statistical System in Botswana, including sources of data, users of data and collaborating institutions.
Partnership Development and Coordination:
The TTA shall facilitate the development of effective partnerships for statistical development in Botswana and the coordination of stakeholders in the following areas:
- Mobilisation of technical partnerships to support the technical development of Statistics Botswana. Such partnerships will include other statistical authorities, professional bodies and development institutions with an interest in the development of statistics;
- Mobilisation, mapping, organisation and coordination of sources of data to ensure the smooth and cost effective submission of data to Statistics Botswana;
- Mobilisation of users of data to ensure effective interaction between Statistics Botswana and key users of its products and services
The TTA shall, in consultation with the Statistician General and the Executive Management Team develop and implement a capacity development plan for Statistics Botswana, the outcomes of which shall be:
- Enhanced internal technical capacity to undertake the organisation’s core business with the requisite levels of efficiency and rigour;
- Robust systems and processes in place to facilitate the effective performance of the functions of Statistics Botswana;
- Preparation of a management development plan based on a prepared succession planning framework for CSO Botswana;
- Support the development of strategic partnerships through the development of Memoranda of Understanding (MOUs) for appropriate products and services with institutions with demonstrable capacity to significantly advance the work of Statistics Botswana as technical partners or as clients;
- Enhanced capacity of strategic partners to more effectively play their respective roles in the development of the National Statistical System. These shall include producers of data such as government departments, public enterprises such as the Botswana Unified Revenue Service, Bank of Botswana and the Civil Aviation Authority and users of data such as the University of Botswana and research institutions.
- The TTA shall mobilise external resources – finance and technical assistance to support key aspects of the development of the National Statistical System and Statistics Botswana as an institution.
The TTA shall facilitate effective advocacy on statistics to ensure that critical audiences adequately appreciate the role of statistics in Botswana’s development and their role in the further development of Statistics in Botswana. To this end, he/shall:
- Support the development and implementation of a national communication and advocacy strategy on statistics;
- Ensure that an effective system is in place to ensure effective data collection, analysis and dissemination;
- Ensure the effective use of important global events, e.g., the International Day of Statistics, to raise awareness of statistics and its role in development.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example;
- In-depth practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills;
- Seeks and applies knowledge, information, and best practices from within and outside of UNDP.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, change processes, results-based management and reporting;
- Ability to lead formulation, oversight of implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development projects;
- Ability to apply development theory to the specific country context to identify creative, practical approaches to overcome challenging situations.
Management and Leadership
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Ability to lead effectively, mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills;
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Proven networking, team-building, organizational and communication skills.
Required Skills and Experience
The ideal candidate would be an experienced Statistician with proven senior management either as a manger or as an advisor.
- The ideal candidate shall have at least a Masters Degree in Degree in Statistics.
- A minimum of 10 years of post qualification experience, no less than five of which should have been in a senior management or management advisory capacity;
- Strong leadership, supervisory and managerial capabilities at a level comparable to the one at which the officer will operate.The position requires an individual with good interpersonal skills and ability to work under pressure and to establish and maintain effective work relationships with people of different national and cultural backgrounds
Strong analytical and data handling capabilities. The ideal candidate will be comfortable with the use of standard data management and Analysis software such as STATA and SPPS for data summarisation and econometric analysis;
- Excellent communication skills with ability to express ideas clearly, logically and effectively, in both oral and written English;
- Qualified women, qualified people living with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- Proficiency in the English language, spoken and written.
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.