INFORMATION COMMUNICATIONS TECHNOLOGY (ICT) KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT INTERN
|Application Deadline :||30-Jun-12|
|Type of Contract :||Internship|
|Post Level :||Intern|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||6 - 12 months|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||6 - 12 months|
The Global ICT Advisor (GIA) Office has recently been established and oversees Country Office ICT advisory services, including assisting offices with ICT initiatives, providing guidance for ICT strategic direction, promoting and monitoring corporate policies and standards, capacity building, providing support to crisis countries and harmonization of ICT practices. It consists of one Global ICT Advisor (GIA), five specialists, and a network of some 166 ICT managers worldwide.
We can offer you an interesting and versatile internship placement in an international environment with contact to various cooperation partners from some 166 countries. We are a dynamic team working in an informal and good atmosphere, encouraging creativity, learning opportunities and new initiatives. As an intern you will become an integral part of the team. You will be supported and guided by ICT experts and have a dedicated coach. You will be given responsibilities and opportunities that have a global and direct impact on the development efforts of the international community. You will be a part of the global network where you will get specific tasks and responsibilities. You will gain first-hand experience and understanding of the decision making processes in one of the world’s biggest multilateral organizations. It is expected that your will show initiative and apply your talent to implement new ICT solutions in a practical manner.
- The internship is unpaid. However, it offers an exciting modern work environment in the UN House with first-class facilities in a great location. It also provides good experience, knowledge of the United Nations and a network for your future professional life.
- You are expected to work full time but flexibility is allowed for your education programme.
- Candidates must present proof of medical insurance coverage before starting the internship period. For more information about UNDP’s Internship Terms & Conditions, visit: http://www.undp.org/internships/.
- As UNDP does not pay for internships. The costs associated with the latter must be borne by the nominating institution, related institution or government, which may provide the required financial assistance to its students; or by the student, who will have to obtain financing for subsistence and make his or her own arrangements for travel, accommodation etc.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The ICT Knowledge Management Intern will be assigned tasks and responsibilities in some of the following areas:
Development of Knowledge Management platform for the GIA Unit;
- Design and develop web pages, as part of the UNDP Content Collaboration Architecture (CCA) including Internet, Intranet and Extranet (Team Works, Facebook, Twitter);
- Work with Microsoft SharePoint applications to share information with Country Offices;
- Improve the ICT Configuration Management Database (CMDB) and benchmarking tools for the ICT infrastructure;
- Implement on-line ICT services request;
- Integrate a budget module in the ICT baseline for the Country Offices;
- Ensure that the necessary processes and procedures are widely distributed using the Knowledge Management Platform;
- Develop instructions and templates from best practice and disseminate through a Practice Community;
- Assist the GIA in promoting the overall ICT strategic framework and work plan pertaining to the minimum ICT standards, infrastructure, and connectivity dimensions;
- Other duties as may be assigned by the GIA, the Deputy Director OIST (GSS), or the Chief Technology Officer (CTO) and undertake on-call duties outside office hours as and when required.
Technical skills in ICT, inclusive of:
- SharePoint knowledge, preferably 2010;
- HTML skills;
- Knowledge of web standards and best practices;
- Knowledge of image optimization for the web;
- Understanding of web design;
- Experience in managing and updating website content;
- Understanding of the production of electronic newsletters;
- Knowledge of Search Engine Optimization Techniques;
- Understanding of web analytics;
- Microsoft Products, Exchange messaging platform;
- Network administration in a Windows server/Active Directory environment;
- Desktop client environment with Windows XP or later.
Other Important Attributes:
- Interested in working in an international organization;
- Able to communicate effectively with the ability to work independently and in a team;
- Good in organizing and structuring various tasks and responsibilities;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Responds positively to feedback and differing points of view;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Enjoys sharing knowledge and experience.
Required Skills and Experience
- You are currently in the process of completing Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in the field of telecommunications, computer science or equivalent.
- Fluent in written and spoken English;
- Knowledge of other UN languages is an advantage.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.