GIS DEVELOPER - ENVIRONMENTAL INDICATORS
|Application Deadline :||17-Jun-12|
|Type of Contract :||Individual Contract|
|Post Level :||International Consultant|
|Languages Required :||
Arabic English |
|Duration of Initial Contract :||Six Months|
Kuwait Integrated Environmental Information Network (KIEIN) is a national project that aims at providing decision/policy makers and planners in Kuwait with relevant and updated environmental information. KIEIN is a key tool to support the national efforts in sustainable development program in Kuwait. KIEIN comes as the fruit of a collaboration between the Kuwait Institute for Scientific Research (KISR), the Supreme Council for Planning and Development (SCPD) and the United Nations Development Program (UNDP).
KIEIN project is an integrated solution to unify the different environmental data sets either geographic or attribute inside a comprehensive Geo-environmental database. It is currently easily accessible inside KISR. KIEIN has been developed through three phases (1994-2007).
In the upcoming phase of KIEIN, the major activities are proposed to ensure the sustainability and continuation usage of KIEIN; develop the environmental indicators; and carry out relevant spatial decision support systems (SDSS).
The overall responsibility of the GIS Developer is to conduct GIS programming to convert the environmental indicator GIS data and models for use in SDSS programming and Web GIS services.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct programming for environmental indicators in GIS format based on study results.
- Evaluate existing KIEIN programming and tools for improvement.
- Conduct programming to prepare for environmental Spatial Decision Support Systems (SDSS) and Web GIS services.
- Working closely Assistant Project Manager, GIS Systems Analysts and GIS Consultant(s).
- Coordinating and interacting with team members and stakeholders.
- Meeting with and reporting to Project Manager/Assistant Project Manager.
- Assimilate Literature Review of relevant documents: evaluation reports, survey/study reports.
- Implement physical database design of KIEIN project in collaboration with GIS Analyst.
- Implementation of the final geodatabase for KIEIN IV.
- Develop the relevant spatial decision support systems (SDSS) suitable for Kuwait as mentioned on the project document.
- Work and coordinate with the project team in KISR and under the supervision of the project manager to produce the final project document.
- KIEIN project document– based on the UNDP guidelines- includes the following: - Full documentation and code for all programming and customizations developed.
- Ability to conduct GIS programming and customization.
- Conduct project liaison activities.
- Demonstrated organizational skills.
- Have experience in various GIS Project Management and Presentation software and technology.
- Work independently and as a team to analyze issues.
- Maintain focus when under pressure.
- Must demonstrate the ability to interface effectively and collaborate with peers, project personnel and all levels of management to develop solutions.
- Take initiative and accountability for results.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards.
- Adheres to GIS Code of Ethics.
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the UNDP.
- Displays cultural, gender, race, nationality, and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Treats all people fairly and without favoritism.
Required Skills and Experience
- B.Sc. degree in Geoinformatics or any similar field related to the integration between GIS and environmental applications.
- Minimum of 10 years as GIS developer.
- Extensive experience in GIS applications development, programming and customization, especially in the field of environment.
- Experience in writing project proposals in the area of GIS and/or environmental applications.
- Must have excellent personal interaction, oral and written communication skills, and be focused to appropriately identify and respond to internal project needs and facilitate the presentation of recommendations.
- Proficient in use of standard computing software tools.
- Excellent English writing and editing skills.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.