GIS SPECIALIST - ENVIRONMENT INDICATOR
|Application Deadline :||17-Jun-12|
|Type of Contract :||Individual Contract|
|Post Level :||International Consultant|
|Languages Required :||
Arabic English |
|Duration of Initial Contract :||Six Months|
Kuwait Integrated Environmental Information Network (KIEIN) is a national project that aims at providing decision/policy makers and planners in Kuwait with relevant and updated environmental information. KIEIN is a key tool to support the national efforts in sustainable development program in Kuwait. KIEIN comes as the fruit of a collaboration between the Kuwait Institute for Scientific Research (KISR), the Supreme Council for Planning and Development (SCPD) and the United Nations Development Program (UNDP).
KIEIN project is an integrated solution to unify the different environmental data sets either geographic or attribute inside a comprehensive Geo-environmental database. It is currently easily accessible inside KISR. KIEIN has been developed through three phases (1994-2007).
In the upcoming phase of KIEIN, the major activities are proposed to ensure the sustainability and continuation usage of KIEIN; develop the environmental indicators; and carry out relevant spatial decision support systems (SDSS).
The overall responsibility of the GIS Specialist to the provide technical support to the GIS Developer, and other team members, in order to prepare the environmental indicator GIS data and models for use in SDSS programming and Web GIS services.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work closely with Developer-Indicators and GIS Systems Analyst to:
- Acquire data from best available sources for conversion and compilation into GIS.
- Record sources for capture in metadata and data dictionary.
- Perform data conversions and attribution of working geodatabase.
- Provide technical support for the different activities of designing and implementing the needed environmental indicators models.
- Record processes for capture in metadata and project reporting, and technical documentation.
- Coordinating and interacting with other team members and stakeholders.
- Meeting with and reporting to Project Manager.
- Support GIS Consultant in Literature Review of relevant documents: evaluation reports, survey/study reports.
- Collect and compile environmental data available from stakeholders, partners, agencies.
- Compile working and final geodatabases according to project specifications.
- Assist in the development KIEIN project document, based on the UNDP guidelines, to capture environmental indicators and indices for marine terrestrial and atmospheric habitats.
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback.
- Coordinates and collaborates with management, team members, and stakeholders effectively and efficiently.
- Consistently approaches work with energy, and a positive constructive attitude.
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrates ability to build strong relationships with clients and external actors.
- Remains calm, in control, and good humored at all times and in all situations.
- Demonstrates openness to change, and the ability to manage complexities.
- Work independently, analyze issues, and write clearly and quickly.
- Take initiative and accountability for actions and results.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards.
- Adheres to GIS Code of Ethics.
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the UNDP.
- Displays cultural, gender, race, nationality, and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Treats all people fairly and without favoritism.
Required Skills and Experience
- B.Sc. Degree in Geoinformatics and/or Environmental studies or other closely related field resulting in the integration between GIS and environmental applications.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in the field of GIS and related environmental applications, especially the environmental indicators.
- Experience in GIS applications in the field of environment.
- Experience in writing project documents in the area of GIS and/or environmental applications.
- Excellent personal interaction, oral and written communication skills, and be focused to appropriately identify and respond to internal project needs and facilitate the presentation of recommendations.
- Proficient in use of standard computing software tools.
- Excellent English writing and editing skills.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.