NATIONAL COORDINATION OFFICER
|Application Deadline :||21-Jun-12|
|Type of Contract :||FTA Local|
|Post Level :||NO-C|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One year|
UN Mozambique is one of the original eight pilot countries for Delivering as One. Delivering as One is a reform package to increase country level coordination and coherence. Four years into this change programme, UN is today more coherent in tackling development challenges – which like climate change, food security, social protection and human rights - are inherently multisectoral in nature. They lend themselves to a teamed up and results based response from the UN.
In taking Delivering as One further, the UN and Government have agreed further reforms for “the Second Generation”. Driven by a stronger focus on results and substance, the UN Mozambique has established a new joint organizational structure around strategic signature issues and “Development Results Groups” to strengthen the focus on delivering results. The UNDAF 2012-15 action and management plans detail these ambitions and underscore the aspects of Relevance, delivery of Results and optimizing the use of available Resources.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the UN Resident Coordinator, the Coordination Officer will support the effective coordination of the UN agencies towards delivering results, ensuring relevance and optimize use of available resources. Towards this end, the incumbent will work in close collaboration with UNCT members, the UN Results Groups, liaise with the UN Operations Management Teams (OMT), mUNsa (UN Staff Association), UN Development Group staff, the donor agencies and other relevant parties. She/ he will help in coordinating UN responses, support UN coherency, prepare and follow up UN decision making and provide advice. A particular responsibility will be to liaise with the Government of Mozambique. That will include maintaining effective communication with relevant parties for informed decisions and an open dialogue.
The coordination specialist will be part of the team at the Resident Coordinator’s Office and work closely with monitoring and evaluation, communication and non-resident agency specialists.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Liaise with Government of Mozambique on delivery of the overall UN Programme;
- Provide policy advice to the Resident Coordinator;
- Provide support to the UNCT;
- Coordination and communicating with Delivering as One Pilot Countries;
- Other tasks.
Function / Expected Results : Liaise with Government of Mozambique
- Liaises with Government to strengthen mutual cooperation, resulting in increased synergies and effective communication between Government and the UN;
- Ensures that all matters shared with Government (and vise versa) are addressed in a timely, effectively and within the appropriate format/setting;
- Coordinates, plans and prepares missions/meetings/retreats with Government appointed focal point;
- Establishes principles of common protocol between the UN and Government.
Function / Expected Results: Provide policy advice to the Resident Coordinator:
- Analyses and researches the political, social and economic situation of the country;
- Alerts the UNCT of political and social concerns/sensitivities;
- Following the above, suggests if, when and how the position/role of the UNCT should be harmonized.
Function / Expected Results: Support to the UNCT
- Coordinates with the staff of the RC Office and the UNCT members, in a timely and effective manner, the preparation and participation of the biweekly UNCT meetings;
- Ensures proper and timely follow up of all the decisions and way forward made at the meetings;
- Updates the UNCT on all pending issues in need of clarification;
- Identifies training needs for the UNCT.
Function / Expected Results: Support coordination among the UN Development Results Groups
- Supports the secretariats of the Development Results Groups;
- Supports preparation and follow up of decisions;
- Assist the Development Results Groups in the reporting to the UNCT and following up UNCT’s decisions.
Function / Expected Results : Communicating with Delivering as One Pilot Countries
- Identifies coordination practices from other pilot countries that can be applied by the UNCT in Mozambique;
- Communicates with the Delivering as One Focal Points in the Pilot countries.
Function / Expected Results : Other tasks
- Any other emerging responsibilities or duties entrusted by the UN Resident Coordinator or the UNCT including providing support to various UN units and operational mechanisms.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the UN;
- Sensitive to and well grounded on political affairs in Mozambique;
- Strong ability to build relationships/partnerships, to be service-oriented, and to work harmoniously with persons of different nationalities, cultural, gender, religion, race, age and levels of responsibilities;
- Sound judgment, interpersonal skills and ability to work in teams.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Knowledge of the UN Reform including the Delivering as One initiative, Paris Declaration and a good understanding of the development context in Mozambique;
- Shares knowledge and experience and actively works towards continuing personal learning and development;
- In-depth practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues;
- High computer literacy.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead and facilitate strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Ability to plan and manage own work and to meet deadlines.
Management and Leadership
- Focuses on impact and results for the client and responds positively to critical feedback;
- Encourages risk-taking in the pursuit of creativity and innovation;
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates strong oral and written effective communication skills to advocate ideas and build consensus.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor minimum preferably Master’s degree in Economics, International Relations, Social Sciences, Business Administration or other relevant field.
- At least 5 years working experience at a national or UN / similar multi-national organization. Some experience in programme design, monitoring and evaluation. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems;
- Good understanding of the national development context in Mozambique;
- Familiarity with UN Planning tools e.g. UNDAF, CPAPs, etc.
- Fluency in English and Portuguese;
- Excellent communication and drafting skills required.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.