OPERATIONS MANAGER UNDP/ELECT II PROJECT
|Application Deadline :||20-Jun-12|
|Additional Category||Democratic Governance|
|Type of Contract :||FTA International|
|Post Level :||P-4|
|Languages Required :||
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One Year (with possibility of extension)|
UNDP Afghanistan Mission Statement:
UNDP supports stabilization, state building, governance and development priorities in Afghanistan. UNDP support, in partnership with the Government, the United Nations system, the donor community and other development stakeholders, has contributed to institutional development efforts leading to positive impact on the lives of Afghan citizens. Over the years UNDP support has spanned such milestone efforts as the adoption of the Constitution; Presidential, Parliamentary and Provincial Council elections; institutional development through capacity-building to the legislative, the judicial and executive arms of the state, and key ministries, Government agencies and commissions at the national and subnational levels. UNDP has played a key role in the management of the Law and Order Trust Fund, which supports the Government in developing and maintaining the national police force and in efforts to stabilize the internal security environment. Major demobilization, disarmament and rehabilitation and area-based livelihoods and reconstruction programmes have taken place nationwide. UNDP Programmes in Afghanistan have benefited from the very active support of donors. UNDP Afghanistan is committed to the highest standards of transparency and accountability and works in close coordination with the United Nations Mission in Afghanistan and the UN system as a whole to maximize the impact of its development efforts on the ground.
Years of conflict have damaged Afghanistan’s economic, political, physical, social and institutional structures. Reconstruction demands a secure environment in which there is credible leadership and enforced rule of law. Strong, legitimate and effective public administration structures, responsive to the needs of ordinary citizens - including the poor – are a precursor to any sustainable development. To this end, UNDP supports Afghan electoral institutions so that they can become more effective vehicles for development.
The UNDP Enhancing Legal and Electoral Capacity for Tomorrow (ELECT) project- phase I (2006 – 2011) lent technical and operational assistance to Afghan electoral bodies throughout the 2009 Presidential and provincial council elections and 2010 parliamentary elections. This included the establishment of Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) offices throughout Afghanistan’s 34 provinces.
ELECT II project, commencing in January 2012, provides long-term assistance to the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) of Afghanistan, focusing on institutional strengthening and capacity consolidation. The overarching objective of ELECT-II is to support the national electoral institutions to plan and conduct credible future elections with minimal external support. Continuing long-term assistance through support to capacity building of national electoral authorities beyond 2010 is in accordance with Security Council Resolution 1974 (2011). This assistance is closely coordinated with UNAMA, UNDPKO and EAD.
The three key outputs for ELECT II are:
Note: UNDP Afghanistan reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP Afghanistan at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and education requirements.
- Output 1: Operational and technical capacity of the IEC is developed to ensure well organized, future Afghan-led electoral processes.
- Output 2: The quality of the national voter registry is improved.
- Output 3: Capacity of the IEC to encourage broader democratic participation is strengthened.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Ensuring strategic direction of operations;
- Financial resources management and supervision of the Finance team;
- Human Resources Management and supervision of the HR team;
- Efficient procurement and logistical services and supervision of the Procurement team;
- Information and communication management and supervision of ICT team.
As a member of the project management team, ensures the strategic direction of operations focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Compliance of operations with UNDP rules, regulations and policies, implementation of corporate operational strategies, establishment of management targets and monitoring achievement of results;
- Establishment of collaborative arrangements with potential partners, a Client Relationship Management System for resource mobilization purposes and appropriate operational partnership arrangements;
- Project business processes mapping and establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Finance, Human Resources Management, Procurement, Logistical and ICT services, Results Management;
- Knowledge building and sharing with regards to management and operations in the project organization of the operations staff trainings, synthesis of lessons learnt/best practices, and sound contributions to UNDP knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Ensures effective and accurate financial resources management and supervision of the Finance team focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Proper planning, expenditures tracking and audit of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Organization and oversight of project cash management processes, including liquidity management, risk assessment, timely accounting and reconciliation of all transactions, security for cash assets on site;
- Routinely monitors financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions, and investigates anomalies or unusual transactions. Informs Project manager of the results of the investigation when satisfactory answers are not obtained.
Ensures strategic human resources management and supervision of the HR team focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Project compliance with corporate human resources policies and strategies;
- Optimal staffing of the office and projects;
- Oversight of recruitment processes and performance management systems ensuring link of job design with recruitment, performance management and career development
Ensures efficient procurement and logistical services management and supervision of the Procurement team focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Project compliance with corporate rules and regulations in the field and management of the project procurement strategies including sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management, customer relationship management, e-procurement promotion and introduction, performance measurement;
- Oversight of procurement processes and logistical services in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Proper management of UNDP assets, facilities and logistical services.
Ensures forward-looking information and communication management and supervision of ICT team focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintains a secure, reliable infrastructure environment for ICT and adequately plans for disasters and recoveries;
- Use of Atlas functionality for improved business results and improved client services;
- Identification of opportunities and ways of converting business processes into web-based systems to address the issues of efficiency and full accountability;
- Promotion of different systems and applications for optimal content management, knowledge sharing, information provision and learning including e-registry, web-based office management system, etc.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and management skills from a gender perspective and capacity to quickly develop a rapport with people from different backgrounds with both women and men.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Ability to lead formulation and monitoring of management projects;
- Solid knowledge in financial resources and human resources management, contract, asset and procurement, information and communication technology, general administration;
- Ability to lead business processes re-engineering, implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change.
Management and Leadership
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Leads teams effectively and shows mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills;
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated willingness to complete UNDP Certification programmes Prince2, Procurement, HR, Accounting and Finance.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, Economics or related field.
- A minimum of seven years of relevant experience at the national and international level in providing management advisory services and/or managing staff and operational systems and establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
Incomplete applications or applications received after the closing date 25 March 2012 will not be given consideration. Please note that only applications who are short-listed will be contacted.
For more detailed information about UNDP Afghanistan please visit our website at www.undp.org.af
Successful candidates must be prepared to start work within 3 weeks of the offer of appointment.
Internal candidates who have served a minimum of 12 months in the current assignment are invited to apply.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.