HUMANITARIAN AFFAIRS ANALYST - UNOCHA (OPEN TO SOMALI NATIONALS ONLY)
|Application Deadline :||21-Jun-12|
|Type of Contract :||FTA Local|
|Post Level :||NO-B|
|Languages Required :||
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One year|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||One year (with possibility of extension)|
The humanitarian crisis in Somalia deepened in 2011, reaching famine conditions in many parts of the South. The effect of drought and consequent displacement is expected to continue in 2012 and will impact differently on the need for assistance and protection for Civilians. OCHA Somalia remains committed to playing a distinctive role in improving response and displaying its added value at all levels of the Somalia operation. Increasing field presence and strengthening field cluster structures will be the priority for OCHA in 2012
Given the challenging context of Somalia, OCHA will continue to play a key role to support the Humanitarian Coordinator in mobilization and coordination of an effective and principled humanitarian response. OCHA is particularly concerned that vulnerable communities and those at risk from natural disasters and conflict receive humanitarian assistance and protection, which meet their assessed needs and enable them to rebuild sustainable livelihoods. Under the leadership of the UN Humanitarian/Resident Coordinator for Somalia, OCHA maintains an office in Nairobi and a strong field presence inside Somalia; the primary objectives of OCHA Somalia include the following:
- Advocate for access to basic services, especially water, sanitation, education and health for vulnerable communities, including collection, analysis and dissemination of information and negotiation of access;
- Coordinate the implementation of humanitarian response in Somalia with UN agencies and programmes, national and international NGOs and local authorities/communities as appropriate with focus on strengthening the Cluster Approach;
- Enhance a protective environment that respects the human rights of all, including IDPs, returnees and minority clan.
Under the overall guidance of the Head of Bay Bakool Region, the Humanitarian Affairs Analyst will play a key role in ensuring the primary objectives of OCHA Somalia are met.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Analyse humanitarian situation;
- Develop and implement proper strategies which will be suitable with local contexts;
- Develop and maintain coordination and cooperation mechanisms among stakeholders;
- Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management.
Analyse humanitarian situation:
- Gather information on issues affecting the humanitarian situation, including political, security, social and economic developments, with a special emphasis on their impact on vulnerability, displacement and protection;
- Provide analysis of the operating environment, with the aim of assisting in the establishment of accepted frameworks for engagement and disengagement in areas of conflict.
Develop and implement proper strategies which will be suitable with local contexts:
- Facilitate the development and implementation of strategies aimed at building the capacity of local authorities and communities to better respond to humanitarian crisis;
- Assist in the development of appropriate strategies to improve the application of humanitarian principles and develop ground rules for humanitarian interventions;
- Support the development of strengthened protection strategies in the relevant area of operation, in particular for women, children, and minorities and displaced communities.
Develop and maintain coordination and cooperation mechanisms among stakeholders:
- Support existing coordination mechanisms and assist in the establishment of new field coordination for a wherever required;
- Liaise closely with the Office of the UNDSS, UN agencies, NGO’s and other partners to ensure a safe and effective operating environment;
- Facilitate and support the coordination of humanitarian interventions through developing routine information and idea exchange with local and international aid actors, and participating in and facilitating joint field assessments, evaluations and routine monitoring mechanisms;
- Support, in collaboration with UN agencies, NGOs and other local partners, the development and monitoring of the implementation of the Common Humanitarian Action Plan in the relevant area of operation;
- Seek ways to improve the participation of local actors in the relevant area of operation, including authorities, beneficiaries, and civil society, in the planning and implementation of aid activities.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification of sources of information related to coordination. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to country policy goals;
- Provision of referral services for agencies without field representation to access national institutions and processes and for national partners to access the expertise of agencies without field representation;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Organization of trainings to UN staff on coordination issues;
- Performs other duties as required.
Functions / Key Results Expected:
Play a strategic role in identifying humanitarian and access issues and problems to be addressed in the Region of responsibility. Develop innovative suggestions and approaches to deal with technical issues. Timely delivery of outputs, in accordance with overall objectives and policies. Serve as an effective spokesperson and form strong partnerships with relevant parties to help meet OCHA’s objectives with respect to overall policy initiatives and coordination of humanitarian and emergency assistance.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UN’s priorities;
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts with a variety of stakeholders to promote a better understanding of OCHA’s development agenda and to support advocacy efforts.
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration;
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation;
- Analyzes country situation to identify opportunities for project development;
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals and ensures substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches and drafts proposals accordingly.
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues;
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders.
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches.
- Collects, researches and analyzes information on resource mobilization and utilization, drafts reports and documents and maintains information/databases on potential and actual donors and donor funded projects;
- Provides data and information needed for preparation of fund raising activities and resource mobilization documents ensuring needs of donors are met.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments.
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UN’s goals for a variety of audiences;
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts in the media and civil society, to promote a better understanding of UN’s priorities and to support advocacy efforts.
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in political science, sociology, law or international relations or related field with 2 years of relevant experience;
- A first level university degree with a combination of relevant academic qualifications and experience or other related field may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree with 4 years of relevant experience.
- Relevant professional experience, preferably in complex emergency and inter-agency contexts, dealing with relief and transitional issues;
- Knowledge/working experience in UNOCHA is desirable;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages and in handling of web-based management systems.
- Proficiency in both oral and written English;
- Knowledge of Somali is a requirement.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.