PROGRAMME SPECIALIST, POLICY COHERENCE AND PROCEDURES
||New York, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
|Application Deadline :||28-Jun-12|
|Type of Contract :||FTA International|
|Post Level :||P-4|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One year|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||Ongoing|
|The Operations Support Group (OSG) is an integral part of the UNDP Executive Office. OSG provides direct support and advice to the Associate Administrator in the overall management of corporate operations, ensuring the operational coherence of corporate programming and management instruments and oversight support mechanisms. OSG collaborates closely with the regional and central bureaus to ensure policy coherence and synergies within UNDP and with associated funds and programmes. OSG leads the design, implementation and corporate internalization of Management for Development Results/Results Based Management (RBM) systems, ensuring their strategic orientation and usefulness as a management tool at different levels. OSG is the organizational steward of the UNDP Strategic Plan and coordinates UNDP annual reporting on results to the Executive Board. In addition, OSG supports the Associate Administrator in her/his role as chair of the Organizational Performance Group. OSG coordinates closely with the Chief of Staff/Office of the Administrator arms of the Executive Office to ensure a seamless, efficient and effective structure.
Under the overall leadership of the Director, OSG, the Specialist reports to the Advisor for Policy Coherence and Procedures. He/she will contribute to, and support, OSG initiatives to ensure policy coherence and the codification of procedures that constitute UNDP’s Prescriptive Content.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support to policy coherence
- Implementation of new initiatives
- Monitoring and evaluating
- Developing staff capacity and providing support
- Knowledge management
- External relations and networking
- Related responsibilities
Support to Policy coherence:
- Review existing policies, operating systems and accountability mechanisms; engage clients and partners within and outside the organization to exchange ideas and experience. Identify gaps and areas for improvement and draw conclusions.
- Use responses from organizational survey and other feedback mechanisms to assess performance and suggestions from users, frame positions and write position papers for consideration within OSG and senior management to promote policy coherence.
- Contribute to the development (and implementation) of plans for improving or enhancing organizational policies and instruments. Support the implementation of new initiatives and products throughout the organization.
- Participate in senior management fora to provide input, make presentations or give technical guidance.
- Support activities designed to promote policy coherence, development and quality control.
Implementation of new initiatives:
- Support the introduction of new policies, operating systems and other mechanisms, provide technical advice and promote the effective application of new policies and guidelines and use of tools through advocacy, promotion materials and other mechanisms to engage users.
- Design briefing materials and other learning approaches to support the introduction of new initiatives, ensure clarity and understanding of new policies and obtain feedback and any other information that may impede the successful implementation of initiatives. Take operational decisions to ensure success.
- Ensure that products are user friendly, readily accessible and users know where and how to access information.
- Disseminate Practice Notes, Directories and other practical Guidelines to ensure common application, coherence and understanding.
Monitoring and evaluation:
- Maintain commitments to the POPP as per IWP.
- Actively interact with users, listen to feedback, and provide advice. Identify gaps and recommend adjustments or changes when warranted.
- Participate in organizational meetings and events to contribute to discussions on monitoring performance and results.
- Use information and analysis to contribute to strategic management decision and to improve approaches to enhance performance and assessment.
- Leverage the use of technology for monitoring and evaluation and sharing of data and analysis within organization.
Developing staff capacity and providing support:
- Develop and/or improve LRC training curricula.
- Provide support, orientation and training to central and regional bureaux to ensure they are conversant with new initiatives and approaches.
- Work closely with relevant offices and support structures to provide technical guidance and advice, including participation in missions to provide orientation, training and management advice.
- Promote the integrated application and interpretation of policies and procedures throughout the organization and for all operational planning and management through advocacy, training, technical services.
- Provide technical guidance and services on management and strategic corporate issues regarding policy coherence.
- Draft guidelines and related content of the POPP. Review POPP content for coherence, consistency, gaps, quality control and ease of use and application.
- Contribute to enhancement of organizational management information systems to advance the coherence and effective application of policies and procedures to meet strategic management needs. Identify effective use of technology for improving operations.
- Consult with users and other partners to dialogue on their needs and interests, keep abreast of latest methods and best practices and promote exchange of knowledge and expertise between clients and stakeholders.
- Identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learned for incorporation into evolving initiatives for enhancing organizational performance and effectiveness.
External relations and networking:
- Maintain dialogue with clients and partners to work on common interests and initiatives to promote organizational policy coherence, operational systems and accountability mechanisms. Ensure “buy in” of products delivered by OSG.
- Participate in UNDP and/or inter-agency joint ventures, task forces, meetings, etc. to improve and enhance organizational effectiveness and performance.
- Network with UN system agencies and organizations to share knowledge, ideas and experience and to gain knowledge and understanding of issues. Leverage lessons and best practices learned in the development of UNDP policies, systems and mechanisms.
- Represent OSG as designated in events and activities related to the function.
- Support to corporate initiatives led by OSG
- Lead or contribute to the planning and implementation of one or more initiatives led by or hosted by OSG
- Provide advice and guidance to ensure smooth turnover of initiatives to in house units.
- Contribute and participate in teams in the other areas of OSG main functions, e.g. results-based management, corporate innovations, performance and oversight work streams. Participate in country support and training missions, as appropriate.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats people fairly without favoritism
Managing knowledge and learning
- Promotes a climate of knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office
- In-depth knowledge on UNDP programme and operations issues
- Ability to advocate and provide advice
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Area, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational effectiveness:
- Ability to think, plan, communicate and carry out work strategically
- Ability to lead and manage corporate strategic initiatives
Strong IT skills:
- Ability to lead implementation of new systems (business side)
- behavioral/attitudinal change
Management and personal competencies:
- Builds strong relationship with central and regional bureaux, focusing on impact and results
- Invites and responds positively to feedback
- Contributes effectively to teamwork
- Very good interpersonal, communication and networking skills
- Remains calm, patient and good humored under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to work under pressure and to delivery results
- Adaptability, flexibility and in working in complex and dynamic environment.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced University Degree in social sciences, public administration, international development or other related development field. ICDL certification required.
- A minimum of 7 years of increasingly responsible experience in the development field preferably some of which should be in UNDP or other UN similar type of organizations in the areas of program and operational management policy development and innovation.
- Excellent working knowledge of ICT and other web-based data applications.
- Fluency in English is required (verbal, written and presentational).
- Good knowledge of French and/or Spanish.
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.