ENTERPRISE DEVELOPMENT OFFICER
||Freetown, SIERRA LEONE
|Application Deadline :||22-Jun-12|
|Type of Contract :||Individual Contract|
|Post Level :||National Consultant|
|Languages Required :||
|Duration of Initial Contract :||60 working days|
One of the key areas of UNDP’s support to Sierra Leone’s development efforts is poverty reduction and economic revitalization. Specifically, the Country Office within the Country Programme 2008-10 and the corresponding Country Programme Action Plan (CPAP) is providing support for macroeconomic policy frameworks, strategies and programmes for achieving the MDGs and reducing poverty. Some focus areas include private sector development, micro-finance, promotion of enterprises to create job opportunities and growing the economy. In this regard UNDP is supporting various national programmes and require the services of Specialists to support the Country Office in managing these projects.
Under the supervision of the Team Leader, Economic Development Unit, the Enterprise Development Project Officer will ensure effective project management and coordination of the Units support to entrepreneurship development programme. He/She is expected to contribute to the Unit’s pro-poor strategy in a conceptually innovative manner and will identify priorities, problems and issues to be addressed and propose corrective actions to support the Economic Development Unit.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Support: design, formulation and implementation of the enterprise development projects;
- Identify opportunities for UNDP assistance in the areas of enterprise development in the country;
- Manage the implementation of the Sierra Leone Agri- Business Initiative (SABI);
- Act as focal point in the UNDP country office on all issues related to the implementation of the micro – finance project;
- Assist with the day-to-day management of the enterprise development projects with a view to effectively manage UNDP and donor resources allocated or mobilized;
- Assisting in the technical level coordination of project implementations by attending steering committee and investment committee meetings.
Deliverables/Final Products Expected:
This consultancy is to be completed within 60 days. The deliverables of the consultant’s work will result in:
- Assessment of the Ministry of Agriculture, forestry and food security on their financial capability to manage funds;
- Signed LOA with the ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Food Security on the management of the SABI project;
- Signed LOA with the Bank of Sierra Leone on the implementation of capacity building activities for the bank;
- Payment of monthly stipends to the SABI staff;
- Transfer of funds for project implementation of activities as soon as soon as LoA’s are signed.
Expected Outputs of Consultancy:
- Draft a Letter of Agreement for the ministry of agriculture, forestry and food security;
- Discuss draft with BDOU and the ministry of Agriculture, forestry and food security;
- Facilitate signing of the Letter of Agreement by the Country Director and the minister of Agriculture, Forestry and food security;
- Draft a Letter of Agreement for the Bank of Sierra Leone;
- Discuss draft with BDOU and the bank of Sierra Leone;
- Facilitate signing of the Letter of Agreement the Country Director and the Governor of the Bank of Sierra Leone;
- Facilitate payment of stipends to SABI staff;
- Facilitate transfer of funds to the Ministry of Agriculture, forestry and food security and the Bank of Sierra Leone in accordance with the signed Letter of Agreement.
- Focuses on impact and results for the project partners and responds positively to critical feedback;
- Communication: Ability to write clearly and concisely and to orally communicate effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibilities for team shortcomings;
- Planning and Organizing: Ability to establish priorities, plan, coordinate and monitor work plan; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; usestime efficiently;
- Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards;
- Write funding proposals and mobilize resources for portfolio.
Required Skills and Experience
- The candidate is expected to have a Master’s Degree or equivalent in Social Science or related field.
- Five (5) years of relevant post Master’s experience in development work;
- Knowledgeable in results-based management methodologies and tools (project and programme management, design, monitoring and evaluation) and research and policy-level analysis;
- Experience of working with government, donors and other partners is highly desirable;
- Experience in project design, formulation and implementation.
- Good writing and oral communication skills in English.
Impact of Results:
The Sierra Leone Agri-business Initiative and the Micro Finance project is effectively managed.
Duration of the consultancy:
The task is expected to take 60 days effective from the signing of the contract.
Payment to the consultant will be made upon satisfactory certification by the Senior Economist. Payments will be on a monthly basis in line with the consultancy achievements.
Evaluation of Criteria and Weighting:
The consultant will be evaluated against the following criteria with the maximum score being 100%:
- Minimum required educational qualification (20%);
- Five (5) years of relevant post Master’s experience in development work (15%);
- Knowledgeable in results-based management methodologies and use of atlas (25%);
- Experience of working with government, donors and other partners is highly desirable (20%);
- Fluency in English language with particular emphasis on writing (20%).
Qualified and interested candidates are hereby requested to apply. The application should contain the following information:
- Completed CV/P11 form;
- Technical proposal/methodological approach to the task;
- Financial proposal.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.