UN WOMEN: COMMUNICATIONS ANALYST
||Santo Domingo, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
|Application Deadline :||24-Jun-12|
|Type of Contract :||FTA International|
|Post Level :||P-2|
|Languages Required :||
|Duration of Initial Contract :||1 year|
Grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, UN Women will work for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women's rights at the centre of all its efforts, UN Women will lead and coordinate United Nations System efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It will provide strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States' priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
In collaboration with Capacity Development and Knowledge Management sections, Santo Domingo Training Centre will develop and implement UN Women's strategy for capacity development of national partners in key functions, as well as for UN system staff. It will develop UN system training programmes in gender equality and empowerment of women, in close partnership with UN Staff College, UNITAR, and other UN training institutions, making maximum use of on-line training techniques.
The Communications Analyst post is based at the UN Women Training Centre in Santo Domingo. The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of the UN Women Chief of Training Centre and National Representative. S/he will be responsible for developing and implementing a Communication Strategy for the Training Centre and the National Office, and supporting the Training Centre knowledge management efforts.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Development and implementation of Communication Strategy for the Training Centre and the National Office.
- Promote visibility of UN Women Training Centre making optimal use of social networking tools.
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing incorporating the use of new technologies.
- Support the Training Centre outreach and business development.
Supports the development and implementation of the Communications Strategy for the Training Centre and the National Office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Supports development/production of communication and advocacy instruments and materials for marketing and awareness raisings activities including briefing materials and press releases in coordination with the supervisor.
- Collaborates with the Information and Communication Technology team to enhance, update and assist in the development of the CoP's websites, including identifying new technologies and managing long-term development requests.
- Supports the Training Centre team to plan, organize and conduct project activities/events including drafting the major background notes, agreeing the terms of participation with partners, media relations, preparing talking points, invitations, press-releases.
- Contributes to the preparation and implementation of the Training Centre work plans.
- Supports integration of advocacy and communication strategies into all aspects of the Training Centre activities.
Promotes visibility of UN Women Training Centre and national office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensures corporate standards compliance on all the communications.
- Promotes and maintains public information campaigns on the Training Centre activities and Programmes making optimal use of social networking tools.
- Promotes the Training Centre courses.
- Circulate relevant information to different audiences (governments, UN System, civil society, academia, media networks, private sector, etc.) through existing networks, the Centre Website and the media.
- Organizes press-conferences, interviews, press tours and other events with media involvement.
- Supports Training Courses for Mass Media as requested.
Facilitates knowledge building and knowledge sharing focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Develops and maintains the content of the Training Centre website in collaboration with the webmaster ensuring the use of new technologies and social networking tools.
- Supports the development of a global calendar on Training for Gender Equality.
- Supports identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to the Centre goals and activities.
- Contributes to knowledge networks and communities of practice including corporate communications repositories.
- Provides training to the Centre Staff on communications.
- Maintains all relevant communication and information evidence (agendas, mails, communication materials, press releases, relevant citations/references in media) of performed and relevant actions and events.
Supports the business development focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Promotes and disseminates corporate advocacy materials for launching flagship initiatives and publications.
- Prepares and disseminates information/newsletters/donor reports to donors and other partners in support of the center partnership and resource mobilization efforts.
- Supports positioning the Training Center as a leader in ways that boost demand for various service lines and increase overall business opportunities.
Impact of Results:
The efficient and prompt delivery of services will contribute to positioning the Training Centre as the leader on Training for Gender Equality among the UN training institutions.
- Integrity: Demonstrating consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Cultural Sensitivity/Valuing diversity: Demonstrating an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrating an international outlook, appreciating differences in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Demonstrate integrity by modeling the UN's values and ethical standards.
- Advocate and promote the vision, mission and strategic goals of UN Women.
- Display cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Treat all people fairly without favoritism.
- Act as a team player and facilitate team work.
Commitment to Continuous Learning:
- Promote a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example.
- Monitor ongoing developments inside and outside the client's environment to keep them informed and anticipate problems.
- Meet timeline for delivery of products or services to clients.
- Experience in working in a multicultural and web-based environment.
- Fluency in office software, email, web-based applications and databases.
- Experience in working with social networking tools.
- Commitment to the continual incorporation of new technologies.
Planning and Organizing:
- Ability to plan own work and manage conflicting priorities.
- Identifies priority activities and assignments and adjusts priorities as required.
Ability to organize, facilitate and participate in workshops:
- Outstanding networking and communication skills.
- Capacity to work with diverse partners including mass media.
- Interest and commitment to the empowerment of women.
- Knowledge of gender issues.
- In-depth substantive knowledge of communications for development.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master degree (or equivalent) in media relations, journalism, publishing or similar disciplines.
- Knowledge of gender is highly desirable.
- A minimum of 2 years of progressively responsible experience in the field of public relations and/or communications at the national or international level.
- Previous experience with a multilateral or international organization is highly desirable.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, good knowledge and experience in handling of web-based management systems. Expertise in the use of social networking tools is essential.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Knowledge of additional official UN language will be an asset.
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.
Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.