PROGRAMME ASSOCIATE (ONLY FOR SRI LANKAN NATIONALS)
||Multi-Duty Station, SRI LANKA
|Application Deadline :||21-Jun-12|
|Additional Category||Environment and Energy|
|Type of Contract :||Service Contract|
|Post Level :||SB-3|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||Six Months|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||Six Months|
The UNDP Energy, Environment and Disaster Risk Reduction Programme, by nature involve multiple-stakeholders in its programmes. Due to the cross cutting nature of the three key subject areas the possibility exists to expand or strengthen partnership approaches in areas such as climate change, environment governance, ecosystem based disaster risk reduction, community led natural resource management and disaster preparedness, etc.
Past successful partnership approaches included the Integrated Strategic Environment Assessment (ISEA) conducted with the sponsorship of the Disaster Management Centre (DMC) and Central Environment Authority (CEA) that received active participation of over 30 Government Agencies; Ongoing development of Hazard Profiles for coastal erosion, droughts, floods, sea level rise, landslides and cyclones involving more than 15 Govt., University and Consulting groups; and the UNDP supported National Disaster Management Coordinating Committee with a membership of more than 50 agencies, to identify a few.
Future programmes on community forestry, biomass to energy, early warning systems for landslides etc. will have a number of value addition and sustainability options through partnerships. In addition Rio+20 deliberations will open up many avenues that need intensive follow up for its successful conclusion. Rio+20 discussions have clearly shown the inter-linkages between environment, energy and disaster management subject areas, and UNDP and other development organizations have a definite role to play in continuing the and building on the partnerships already developed between public-public and public-private entities. These multi-stakeholder approaches can be further enriched by adding innovative volunteering and recognition elements. Potential target groups include Private Sector, Expatriates, University Staff and Students, Community Based Organizations, UN agencies, Bilateral and Multilateral Development Agencies and Policy Makers.
Duties and Responsibilities
Evaluates potential partnership opportunities and initiate dialogue with potential stakeholder agencies/individuals:
- Summarize the development work of other potential partner agencies;
- Identify the elements or areas of common interests to initiate discussions;
- Work with UNDP Energy, Environment and Disaster Risk Management staff to promote partnerships approaches;
- Develop the programmes and proposals towards implementation of the ideas and agreements.
Introduces partnership approaches to ongoing projects and programmes in the areas of Energy,Environment and Disaster Management to add value and ensure that the investments are more effective and sustainable:
- Study the portfolio of ongoing and planned projects and programmes of the UNDP Energy, Environment and Disaster Risk Reduction portfolio;
- Develop partnership ideas that can be implemented within the regulations, policies and corporate guidelines;
- Develop partnerships relevant for Rio+20 deliberations and initiatives in Sri Lanka;
- Work with the team members to implement the partnerships within the programme work;
- Ensure that the market linkages, public-private partnerships, university-community knowledge transfer and other innovative interventions are sustainable in the long-term.
Ensures an effective communication strategy is in place and operational to achieve the programme objectives and visibility of the partnership/volunteering efforts:
- Create necessary communication material, web pages and multi-media products by working with the team members;
- Develop and implement sound/innovative activity monitoring approaches (for example community led water quality monitoring);
- Document lessons learnt and report to different forums through the team management;
- Prepare reports to funding agencies, UNDP and others on a timely basis.
Ensures promotion of Volunteerism within the Sustainable Development Framework of Sri Lanka through UNDP Energy, Environment and Disaster Risk Management Programmes:
- Work closely with UN Volunteers, Youth Groups and other communities and organizations to introduce and promote principles of volunteerism;
- Participate in networking meetings in Government, Private Sector and Agencies;
- Recognize the work of stakeholder groups, team members and others to motivate and propagate the innovative approaches.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment through leadership, sharing information and establishing systems to capture lessons learnt;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in disaster risk reduction, programme management and coordination.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to be an effective team member in strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Ability to engage in programme formulation and monitoring of management projects;
- Solid knowledge in financial resources and human resources management (both UNDP and Government), contract, asset and procurement, information and communication technology, and general administration;
- Ability to understand development issues.
Management and Leadership
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Leads teams effectively and shows mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Successful secondary education with specialized training in Development, Agriculture, Environment, Engineering, Social Sciences, Planning or a related field.
- Minimum of 5 years (relevant experience) in development with at least one year in promoting volunteerism at national or district level;
- Experience in establishing multi-stakeholder partnerships and joint projects will be added advantage;
- Exposure in working with a results-oriented team;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in web based management systems.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.