NATIONAL CONSULTANT TO WORK ON NETWORKING MEDIA IN ETHIOPIA
||Addis Ababa, ETHIOPIA
|Application Deadline :||22-Jun-12|
|Type of Contract :||Individual Contract|
|Post Level :||National Consultant|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||6 Months ( extendable up to one year)|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||6 Months ( extendable up to one year)|
The United Nations Communications Group (UNCG) in Ethiopia is seeking a consultant to support the UN’s efforts to network media in Ethiopia in order to enhance reporting on the MDGs.
The UN Deliver As One Imperative:
In recent years, the UN system internationally has taken on a new mandate to ”Deliver as One” for a more coherent, effective, and efficient UN development system. Instead of working separately as a disparate set of specialized agencies, the UN in each country is attempting to work more closely together and to more efficiently and effectively support nationally-led and demand-driven development programmes in order to maximize the development impact of its support to Governments. Within the “Deliver as One” agenda there is a commitment for UN agencies to deliver with “One Voice”.
Priorities of the UN Communication Group in Ethiopia:
In keeping with the “Deliver as One” mandate, the UN Communication Group in Ethiopia is working jointly to strengthen the One Voice component of the DaO agenda. The UN’s engagement with the media is a key priority area in terms of enhancing the organisation’s visibility, efficiently delivering common messages on development and improving resource mobilization for joint programmes and priorities.
Duties and Responsibilities
The purpose of the UN Communication for Networking Media in Ethiopia is to support capacity development and networking amongst communication actors in Ethiopia at the national level and within the four Developing Regional States, namely Afar, Beneshangul Gumuz, Gambella and Somali Regions. The aim is to strengthen the central role of media in advancing public dialogue on issues of development and rights to build consensus, raise public awareness, strengthen public accountability and influence behaviour change in relation to three jointly-defined and cross-cutting result areas prioritized by the UN: achievement of the Millennium Development Goals, implementation of the national Social Protection agenda, and progress toward equity in the Developing Regional States.
The successful consultant shall focus on enhancing the UN’s knowledge and understanding of the media landscape in Ethiopia and positioning the UN to achieve its priority objectives by designing mechanisms that effectively support media capacity development and incentivize excellence in development reporting through:
- Conducting a mapping of functioning media resources, including media outlets, associations and networks operating in the country, including at the national level and in the four Developing Regional States, with a focus on their scope of engagement, geographic reach, audience share and/or partnerships with other organizations as appropriate.
- Mapping and establishing relationships with other agencies, including non-governmental organizations, working in the field of media capacity development in Ethiopia
- Writing a report of how the UN is portrayed in the Ethiopian media using desk review, first-hand interviews and stakeholder surveys.
- Identifying and providing - , free tools and resources for uploading on the UNCT website that would be of use to the Ethiopian media.
- Developing a mechanism for a UN media prize to promote excellence in development reporting, both in terms of the quantity and quality of development reporting in Ethiopia.
- Organising and supervise joint field trips for members of existing media networks and associations to report on MDGs in the DRS.
- Developing a database of media in the DRS.
- Developing a needs assessment of the media in the DRS.
- Developing a mechanism for a quarterly media forum that allows for building bridges between national and DRS media; and provides a platform for knowledge sharing.
The consultant will be working in close consultation and under the guidance of the UN Communications Group Chair and will be responsible for the achievement of the objectives and deliverables outlined below.
- Report on media resources (human, financial and technical) available in the country.
- Report on perceptions of the UN in Ethiopian media, with recommendations on enhancing the visibility of the UN and its work and positioning in Ethiopia.
- Free tools and resources for media to be uploaded on the UNCT website.
- Concept note on a media award and mechanism for implementation.
- Database of media associations and networks with a focus on their reach, scope of engagements, and partnerships.
- News and feature items by media from joint field visits organized by the consultant for existing media networks and associations to report on MDGs in the DRS.
- Report on needs assessment of the media in the DRS.
- Proposal on mechanism for a quarterly media forum.
- Organization of the first media forum during the fourth quarter of 2012.
The first phase of UNCG support to the Networking Media will span for a period of one year
|Minimum 8 years of working experience. |
Required Skills and Experience
- BA Degree in Communications, Journalism or a related field.
DOCUMENTS TO BE INCLUDED WHEN SUBMITTING THE PROPOSAL:
Interested individual consultants must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications:
- Proposal: (not more than 450 words) explaining why they are the most suitable for the work and providing a brief methodology on how they will approach and conduct the work (if applicable);
- Financial proposal: indicate monthly fee;
- Personal CV including past experience in similar projects and at least 3 references.
Please submit financial proposal in a separate sheet to our e-mailProcurement.firstname.lastname@example.org;
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on the following methodologies:
The award of the contract shall be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
a) responsive/compliant/acceptable, and
b) Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
* Technical Criteria weight; 70%
* Financial Criteria weight; 30%
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 49 point and above would be considered for the Financial Evaluation
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.