PMU PROGRAMME MANAGER (RE-ADVERTISING) - OPEN TO KYRGYZSTAN NATIONALS ONLY - BISHKEK, KYRGYZSTAN
|Application Deadline :||20-Jun-12|
|Type of Contract :||Service Contract|
|Post Level :||SC-9|
|Languages Required :||
English Russian |
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||1 year with possible extension|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||1 year with possible extension|
Under the overall guidance and supervision of UNDP ARR and in close cooperation with the National Programme Counterparts, and coordination with Policy Advisory Unit, the Programme Manager is responsible for the day-to-day management and implementation of central level projects and the Programme Management Unit (PMU). The PMU Manager is responsible for achieving respective project level outputs in a coordinated manner specified in the project documents and integrated AWPs, revised UNDP Kyrgyzstan programme policy papers and other relevant documents, with required standard of quality and within required time and cost. He/she is also responsible for transferring appropriate knowledge and skills, as part of capacity development agenda, to relevant national counterparts.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage and coordinate PMU activities, from substantive, administrative and financial points of view, systematic coordination of all programme activities resulting in holistic and cross-practiced implementation of different programmes at central level.
- Manage day-to-day programmes implementation and overall coordination of efforts to attain programme level outcomes through Programme Dimensions’ Chiefs.
- Supervise the Programme Dimensions’ Chiefs and PMU personnel and ensure effective communication and coordination within the PMU and other Programme dimensions, ABD pillar, and the UNDP Country Office in Bishkek.
- Provide direction and leadership to programme teams and responsible parties in advocating programme objectives and in ensuring that all interested parties are well informed about the programmes’ activities and goals.
- Identify any support and advice required for the management, integrated planning and control of the Programmes.
- Oversee and direct the PMU staff and Programme Dimensions’ Chiefs in implementation of different programmes, projects, sub-components, including in the development of detailed integrated work plans and action plans for each sub-component, implementation, monitoring and reporting of each sub-component.
- Prepare monthly reports for the CO on key PMU activities, issues and required action points and oversight the drafting process of monthly integrated reports. Lead the process of preparation of the programmes quarterly integrated progress reports (progress against planned activities, update on risks and issues, expenditures), annual review report and final review reports, and submit them to UNDP CO and NPD as appropriate.
- Coordinate planning, organization and participate in the transparent tender bidding or request for proposal processes for the selection of subgrantees for sub-projects and ensure the preparation of clear tender bidding evaluation reports.
- Regularly review Atlas project reports and ensure that revenue, commitments, expenses and disbursements are complete and accurate, and detect erroneous or unauthorized charges.
- Responsible for the physical safeguarding of the PMU assets.
- Ensure funds are adequately allocated to cover the full cost of key staff.
- Undertake regular monitoring visits to the sub-projects’ sites and report to UNDP CO on the status of activities including suggestions for improvements.
- Implement monitoring procedures for sub-projects, linked to progress payments, and ensure that all on-going sub-projects are visited regularly and that the Programme personnel, certify that sub-projects implemented under their responsibility are proceeding as planned.
- Together with the Country Office, consolidate the process of PMU contribution to development of funding proposals and progress reports to donor organizations, monitoring, evaluation and lessons learned reports and other relevant programme-related documents, including contribution to substantive correspondence for a) resource mobilization, b) partnership building, c) reporting.
- Guide and orient efforts and contributions of consultants, personnel and government counterparts towards achievement of PMU objectives. Procure goods and services to initiate activities, including drafting TORs and work specifications.
- Ensure implementation of corporate UNDP gender mainstreaming strategy into all programming activities.
- Manage PMU administrative and security related activities, monitor financial resources and accounting to ensure accuracy and reliability of financial reports.
- Participate in transparent and competitive selection, recruitment, supervision and mentoring of respective PMU staff and Programme Dimensions’ Chiefs. Ensure efficient HR management, conduct regular performance appraisal exercises for subordinated staff.
- Get feedback from Policy Advisory Unit as result of quality assurance function and oversight the process of addressing relevant issues by PMU in a timely manner.
- Represent the PMU and other programmes/projects, if delegated and required on behalf of UNDP, vis-a-vis other UN organizations in Kyrgyzstan, donor organizations, other international organizations, as well as national Government and non-governmental institutions and endeavor to build professional relationships with local, district and regional authorities in order to ensure the full participation of a broad spectrum of national leadership in the identification, planning and execution of programme activities
- Establish and maintain relationships and act as the key focal point with UNDP CO to ensure that all programming, financial and administrative matters related to the PMU are transparently, expediently and effectively managed, in line with established UNDP Rules and Regulations.
- Oversight the process of verifying and channeling all requests for programme, administrative, logistical and other support and report all incidents related to security and issues of general concern to UNDP CO in close coordination with Programme Associates.
- Ensure proper transfer of programme deliverables, documents, files, equipment and materials as per the standards UNDP procedures, as well as establishment and maintenance of proper electronic and paper filing systems.
- Perform other duties that may be required by ARR or UNDP Senior Management.
- Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organizational precedents;
- Building support and political acumen;
- Creating an environment of creativity and innovation;
- Building and promoting effective teams;
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication;
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization;
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master degree or equivalent in international development, social sciences, public administration, sociology, environment or other area relevant to the functions of this position.
- 7 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects.
- Excellent knowledge of Kyrgyzstan, Central Asia and the development context;
- 5 years of managerial experience is required;
- Proven ability to draft, edit and produce written proposals and results-focussed reports;
- Working experience with international organizations, civil society or state bodies in programme management, project monitoring and related fields;
- Excellent computer skills, including full command of text and spreadsheet programmes and familiarity with imaging programmes and data bases;
- High sense of responsibility, willingness to take initiative, excellent communication skills, leadership and team spirit are important assets;
- Affinity with the mandate and role of the United Nations is an asset.
- Fluency in English and Russian;
- Knowledge of Kyrgyz is an asset.
- Only applications with the UNDP Personal History Form P.11 form will be considered
P.11 form can be downloaded from the following link http://sas.undp.org/Documents/P11_Personal_history_form.docx
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.