WOMEN'S EMPOWERMENT AND KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT INTERNSHIP
||New York, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
|Application Deadline :||22-Jun-12|
|Type of Contract :||Internship|
|Post Level :||Intern|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||Minimum 4 months|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||6 months|
|Internship – UNDP - Women’s Rights and Online Networking
4 months (minimum)
Start date –July 2, 2012 (negotiable)
Please note – this is an unpaid internship, open only to applicants who are currently enrolled in graduate programmes.
Gender equality and women’s empowerment are human rights that lie at the heart of development and the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals. The UNDP Gender Team is at the forefront of UNDP's commitment to gender equality and women's empowerment. The Gender Team is part of the Bureau for Development Policy (BDP) of UNDP which provides policy advice and programme support to all of UNDP’s work. The Gender Team works to implement gender equality as a core objective of UNDP through (i) integrating gender equality concerns in all sectors including governance, poverty reduction and environment protection; and, (ii) dedicated projects that empower women and promote women’s rights and gender equality.
Online networking is an important way to connect UNDP staff globally and their experience and knowledge to inform their day-to-day business and it is a critical corporate service offered by the Knowledge Management Group. A new professional networking platform called “Teamworks” has been introduced to better connect and facilitate knowledge sharing within the organisation. The UNDP Gender Team is working to better seize opportunities created by this new platform that will accelerate progress on women’s empowerment and gender equality.
We are seeking to engage an intern who is passionate about women’s rights and about the potential opportunities offered by social networking and knowledge sharing.
Duties and Responsibilities
|Under the overall supervision of the Director of Gender Team and daily supervision of Special Assistant and the Knowledge Management Specialist, the intern will perform the following duties:
- Assist with maintaining a dynamic content on Teamworks;
- Assist with research and writing for discussions on UNDP knowledge networks;
- Assist with organizing and promoting learning and knowledge events;
- Assist with building online communities and resources;
- Assist with maintaining the Gender Teams presences on social media channels;
- Assist with compiling communications materials for advocacy and outreach, including on UNDP’s public website and social media platforms.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and fluency in English. Knowledge of other UN languages is an asset;
- Strong organizational and research skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Strong social media skills;
- Experience working collaboratively in a team structure in a multicultural environment;
- Demonstrated experience and interest in knowledge sharing and online social networking.
Required Skills and Experience
- Enrollment in graduate studies in the areas of international development, gender studies, journalism, knowledge management, new media, or related;
- Knowledge of gender equality and women’s rights in the context of development;
- Knowledge of the UN system is an asset.
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.