UN COORDINATION ANALYST
|Application Deadline :||28-Jun-12|
|Type of Contract :||Service Contract|
|Post Level :||SB-4|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||1 Year|
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the UN Resident Coordinator, the UN Coordination Analyst increases the coordination and delivery capacity of the UN Country Team through analyzing social, economic and environmental sustainable development trends and provides inputs to preparation of country programming products including the common assessments and the UN Strategic Plan for Bahrain, supports the national strategies setting, provides assistance to development and implementation of the collaborative and joint programmes and initiatives; and monitors progress towards the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) and Global Conferences, provides support to agencies without field representation to access national systems and for national counterparts to access the expertise of agencies without field representation.
The UN Coordination Analyst works in close collaboration with UNCT members, programme and operations teams of the Agencies, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral partners and civil society ensuring successful implementation of UNCT activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensures effective support to UNCT in preparation and implementation of country programming processes and products, including UN Strategic Plan and UN joint programme coordination focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country including support for establishing Dev-Info in coordination with relevant national counterparts.
- Coordination of and participation in the work of the Strategic Plan thematic group activities and preparation of inputs for the Strategic Plan.
- Coordination of and participation in the work of theme groups organized around UNCT Work Plan and UN Strategic Plan results and outcomes, including support for monitoring and evaluation.
- Support to the elaboration, implementation and monitoring of all Joint/Collaborative programmes/initiatives of the UNCT and provision of periodic reports as necessary.
Ensures preparation and implementation of the RC Work Plan focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Preparation of proposals for funding and drafting of the RC Work Plan and reports.
- Technical support for UNCT Retreats to review the annual work plan and other UNCT meetings.
- Technical support for the organization of yearly coordination meeting of resident and non-resident UN Agencies.
- Monitoring of the Support to the Resident Coordinator (SRC) fund and other funds dedicated to UNCT activities.
- Preparation of the draft UNRC Annual Report for UNCT review.
- Report on the use of the funds to the UN RC and UNCT, proposal of budget revisions, approval of expenditures reports.
Ensures effective advocacy of UN activities in close consultation with UNIC and the information/ communication focal points of the UN system focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of the systematic information on UNCT activities.
- Arrangement of regular forums and events on issues related to UN activities with media, NGOs, communities, etc., in close consultation with UNIC.
- Support for implementation of media and communication strategies of the UNCT, in close consultation with UNIC.
- Collecting inputs for speakers notes, talking points, speeches for major advocacy events of the RC system in close consultation with the UNCT and partners.
- Monitoring of the UN website maintenance.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification of sources of information related to coordination. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to country policy goals.
- Provision of referral services for agencies without field representation to access national institutions and processes and for national partners to access the expertise of agencies without field representation.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of trainings to UN staff on coordination issues.
Preparing Information for Advocacy:
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UN’s priorities.
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts with a variety of stakeholders to promote a better understanding of UN’s development agenda and to support advocacy efforts.
Results-Based Programme Development and Management:
Contributes into results through primary research and analysis.
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration.
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation.
- Analyzes country situation to identify opportunities for project development.
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals and ensures substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches and drafts proposals accordingly.
Building Strategic Partnerships:
Maintaining a network of contacts.
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues.
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders.
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches:
Enhancing processes or products.
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things.
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches.
Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategy.
- Collects, researches and analyzes information on resource mobilization and utilization, drafts reports and documents and maintains information/databases on potential and actual partners and partner funded projects.
- Provides data and information needed for preparation of fund raising activities and resource mobilization documents ensuring needs of partners are met.
Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things.
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
Fundamental knowledge of own discipline.
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position.
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks.
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning.
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Economics, Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Sciences or related field.
- 2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects. Knowledge about the UN and RC systems would be an advantage.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Fluency in spoken and written English. Knowledge of Arabic would be an advantage.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.