COMMON SERVICES MANAGER, UN CITY, COPENHAGEN
|Application Deadline :||10-Jul-12|
|Type of Contract :||FTA International|
|Post Level :||P-5|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One year|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||One year with possible extension|
Under the overall guidance of the Copenhagen based UN Country Team (UNCT), and under the direct supervision of the Chair of the UNCT, the Common Services Manager is responsible for the reliable and cost-effective delivery of common services at UN City Campus 1 and Campus 2 as agreed by participating UN agencies (WHO, UNDP, UNICEF, UNFPA , UNOPS, WFP and IOM).
The Common Services Manager is responsible for the transparent management of the financial and human resources of the UN City Common Services Unit in compliance with UN Regulations, Rules and policies and preparing regular reports for presentation to the UNCT.
In the context of the UN City, the Common services Manager is responsible ensuring “service-oriented” delivery and relationships with all UN agencies and other stakeholders, and maintain strong working relationships with the Danish Government and other external stakeholders such as the UN City Project Director, By og Havn, SES and local authorities. In addition, the Common Services Manager is expected to continuously monitor the technical operating environment, in order to advise the UNCT and prepare for quick readjustments of the common services offerings.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensures reliable and cost-effective Common Services focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Establishment of shared premises service package for all Agencies and future development of additional services;
- Development and update of Standard Operating Procedures to document all critical workflows;
- Development of sound and regularly updated Business Continuity Plan;
- Establishment of management targets and monitoring and reporting achievement of results, including service quality;
- Elaboration of strategic approach to implementation of Common Services in line with UN reform, the latest developments in common services and the best practices;
- Provision of advice on strategies, policies and plans affecting Common Services operations, delivery of practice advisory, knowledge and learning services;
- Establishment of a strong relationship with Danish Government including negotiation of budgets and grants related to the UN City, including regular reporting on budget balances to the Government;
- Common Services business processes mapping and establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Finance, Human Resources Management, Procurement, Logistical services, Results Management;
- Constant monitoring and analysis of the operating environment, quick readjustment of the operations, advice on legal considerations and risk assessment;
- In cooperation with WHO experts development and implementation of sound conference room and auditorium administration system and the proper workflow ensuring transparency of the processes and integration with other common services functions.
Ensures efficient and accurate financial resources management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Prepare annual budgets and cost recovery systems for agreed common services and CS unit for UNCT approval;
- Monitor and prepare regular management reports of expenditures of common services and CS Unit for UNCT review;
- Proper management of the contributions management business process and accounting for contributions to ensure that the money due to UN City Common Services is properly identified, consistently and uniformly classified, recorded on a timely basis and received with sufficient supporting documentation;
- Organize cash management processes, including liquidity management, recommendation of imprest level, risk assessment, bank relationship management; timely accounting and reconciliation of all transactions, security for cash assets on site;
- Monitor financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions, and investigate anomalies or unusual transactions.
Ensures strategic Common Services human resources management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Recruit, train and supervise staff for the UN City Common Services Unit;
- Provision of efficient human resources management, ensuring compliance with corporate human resources policies and strategies;
- Maintain effective performance management systems;
- Optimally staff the Common Services unit;
- Create a positive team environment where team members are able to perform optimally, respond to challenges creatively and collaboratively.
Ensures efficient procurement and logistical services management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Responsible for UN City Common Service procurement is conducted in compliance with relevant UN regulations, rules and policies;
- Management of the Common Services contract strategy including tendering processes and evaluation, managing the contract and contractor, legal implications, handling and controlling of any external company allowed to do business on the UN City premises. Oversight of procurement processes and logistical services in accordance with UN rules and regulations, Common Services Manager acting as Manager Level 2 in Atlas for Purchase orders approvals;
- Proper management of UN City Common Services assets, facilities and logistical services, including full compliance with IPSAS in the accounting for the procurement, utilization and disposal of the CS’s assets;
- Common Services compliance with Memorandum of Understanding, Service Level Agreements, corporate rules, regulations and practices for driving, reception and administrative services, including management of the UN City visitor processing and secure mail processing following the best international practices;
- Proper management of the UN City conference and meeting room facilities, fitness center and canteen (assuming that these services are provided at no cost to agencies) including full assistance in organizing special events, administration and maintenance of facilities ensuring effectiveness and client-orientation and administration of outsourced services, if requested.
Supports a forward-looking information and communication management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- In close collaboration with other Agencies ensure seamless integration between common ICT services and other common services functions, as defined by the UN Country Team;
- Ensures that ICT services are provided with agreed service levels.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification of sources of information related to Common Services management. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to the UN City development goals;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Knowledge building and sharing with regards to management and operations in the Common Services Unit, organization of the operations staff trainings, synthesis of lessons learnt/best practices, and sound contributions to UN knowledge networks and communities of practice.
The key results have a strong impact on the overall economy, efficiency, and effectiveness of Common Services in relation to the smooth delivery of services to the UN Agencies and other stakeholders.
Client Orientation: Contributing to positive outcomes for the client
- Anticipates client needs.
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider.
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective.
Building Partnerships: Identifying and building partnerships
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build alliances.
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners.
- Displays initiative, sets challenging outputs for him/herself and willingly accepts new work assignments.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Developing tools and mechanisms
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches.
- Develops and/or participates in the development of mechanisms, including identifying new approaches to promote individual and organizational learning and knowledge sharing using formal and informal methodologies.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise : In-depth knowledge of own discipline
Promoting Organizational Change and Development: Assisting the individuals to cope with change
- Understands advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines (financial resources and human resources management, contract, asset and procurement, information and communication technology, general administration).
- Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit.
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally.
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments.
- Performs appropriate work analysis and assists in redesign to establish clear standards for implementation.
Design And Implementation of Management Systems: Designing and implementing management system
- Carries out research into existing systems to identify best practice and make recommendations to management on applicability to UN CITY Common Services.
- Identifies and recommends remedial measures to address problems in systems design or implementation.
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management: Input to the development of standards and policies
- Provides inputs to the development of organizational standards for accountability and results-based management.
- Being service minded and facilitator of good service delivery.
- Building support and political acumen.
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation.
- Building and promoting effective teams.
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication.
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization.
- Leveraging conflict in the interests of the UN Agencies setting standards.
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing are the responsibility of each staff member.
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, Economics or related field.
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant experience at the national and international level in managing large operational settings, providing management advisory services and managing staff in multicultural environments.
- A proven track record of successfully managed common services/business or operations center in a multi-user setting.
- A proven track of excellent communication skills both oral and written.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems and ERP systems, preferably PeopleSoft.
- Experience of accrual accounting, IPSAS or IFRS is highly desirable.
- Fluency in English, knowledge of Danish language is desirable.
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.