UN COORDINATION ANALYST (ONLY APPLICABLE FOR NEPALESE NATIONALS)
|Application Deadline :||30-Jun-12|
|Type of Contract :||FTA Local|
|Post Level :||NO-B|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One Year|
This position is applicable to Nepalese Nationals only.
The UN Country Team (UNCT) in Nepal, chaired by the UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator, comprises about 20 UN agencies, funds and programmes and works closely with other development partners to ensure that development assistance has the desired impact during the country’s transition. The UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator’s Office (RC/HCO) serves as catalyst and vehicle for taking forward the results agreed by the UNCT in Nepal. The RCHCO supports the overall coordination of the UN system’s contribution to national development objectives. This includes facilitation of UN reform efforts, UN inter-agency coordination and performance management under the UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) and joint programmes, monitoring, policy analysis and advocacy on the Millennium Development Goals, joint communications, engagement on the national aid effectiveness agenda and promoting UN collaboration with relevant state and non state partners.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of the UNRCHCO and with overall guidance from the UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator, the UN Coordination Analyst strengthens capacity of the UN Country Team, analyzes political, social and economic trends and provides inputs to UN common programming processes. The UN Coordination Analyst supports the national strategies setting, provides assistance to development and implementation of collaborative and joint programmes and monitors progress towards the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) and Global Conferences, provides support to UN Non Resident Agencies and supports UN reform and harmonization initiatives.
The UN Coordination Analyst guides the RCHCO support staff as needed. The UN Coordination Analyst works in close collaboration with the UNCT members, programme and operations teams of the Agencies, UNDOCO staff and Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful implementation of UNCT activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensures effective support to UNCT in preparation and implementation of country programming processes and products, including CCA and UNDAF and UN programmes coordination focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country. Support the UN Thematic Group activities and preparation of inputs for UN common programming processes.
- Facilitate the UNDAF Theme/Outcome Groups for the UNDAF preparation and implementation, including support for monitoring and evaluation within the context of the UNDAF Results Matrix, the UNDAF Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Plan.
- Monitoring of all joint and collaborative programmes/initiatives of the UNCT and provision of periodic reports as necessary.
- Identification of strengths and weaknesses in UN Agencies programmes in the context of the UNDAF, UN System reform and MDGs. Preparation of high quality documents summarizing the developments in the UNDAF areas of cooperation. Provision of advice on adjusting strategies and implementation modalities.
- Supporting the preparation and conduct of regular and ad-hoc UNCT meetings.
Ensures preparation and implementation of the RC Work Plan focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Preparation of proposals for funding and drafting of the RC Work Plan and reports.
- Technical support for UNCT Retreats to review the annual work plan and other UNCT meetings.
- Monitoring the Support to the Resident Coordinator (SRC) fund and other funds dedicated to UNCT activities.
- Report on the use of the funds to the UN RC and UNCT, proposal of budget revisions, approval of expenditures reports.
Ensures implementation of the resource mobilization strategy for UNDAF implementation focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support to prepare analysis for the UNCT’s Joint Resource Mobilization Strategy and its implementation.
- Development of partnerships with IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society.
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of reports on donors’ strategies.
Ensures implementation of aid effectiveness initiatives and advancement of UN reform initiatives:
- Support implementation of the Donor Transparency Initiative.
- Closely work with agencies and the Government of Nepal to generate up-to-date information on aid flows.
- Support UNDG ExCoM Agencies to implement the Harmonized Approach to Cash Transfer.
- Participate and support the Operations Management Team to advance coherent operational practices.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management and advocacy of UN activities in close consultation with the Information Management Unit (IMU) in the RCHCO, UN Information Centre (UNIC) and the information/ communication focal points of the UN system, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of systematic information on RC system activities.
- Arrangement of regular forums and events on issues related to UN activities with media, NGOs, communities, etc.
- Support for implementation of media and communication strategies of the UNCT, in close consultation with the UNIC.
- Collecting inputs for speakers notes, talking points, speeches for major advocacy events of the RC system in close consultation with the UNCT and partners.
- Monitoring of the UN Nepal Information Platform www.un.org.np maintenance.
- Support information requirements from the regional offices and HQ. Timely update UNCT’s information on the HQ’s website.
- Identify sources of information related to coordination, synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to country policy goals.
- Provision of referral services for NRAs to access national institutions and processes and for national partners to access the expertise of agencies without field representation.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of trainings to UN staff on coordination issues.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda: Preparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate.
Results-Based Programme Development and Management: Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work.
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration.
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation.
- Analyzes country situation to identify opportunities for project development.
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals and ensures substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches and drafts proposals accordingly.
Building Strategic Partnerships: Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues.
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders.
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches: Enhancing processes or products
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things.
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches.
Resource Mobilization: Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategies
- Analyzes information/databases on potential and actual donors.
- Develops a database of project profiles. Identifies opportunities for project proposals for presentation to donors.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things.
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position.
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks.
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning.
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals: Preparing information for global advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences.
- Identifies and takes advantage of opportunities for advocating for UNDP’s mandate.
Client Orientation: Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion.
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines.
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Economics, Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Sciences or any other relevant field.
- At least 2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects.
- Knowledge about the UN and RC systems would be an advantage. Previous UN experience will be an added advantage.
- Extensive and hands-on experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Fluency in English and Nepali language, both oral and in writing is a must.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.