INTERNATIONAL SHORT TERM LIVESTOCK BREEDING EXPERT
||Tirana, with missions to regions, ALBANIA
|Application Deadline :||05-Jul-12|
|Type of Contract :||Individual Contract|
|Post Level :||International Consultant|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||22 working days within four months period|
The project “Improving the performance of livestock sector in Albania”, co-financed by the European Union and the Italian Government and in partnership with MoAFCP, has supported the establishment of a livestock association “Ionian Lamb” in Saranda and Delvina, aiming to contribute to the economic growth in rural areas through improvement of the performance of livestock sector in the target area due to improved production practices and selling of quality and safer animal origin products, developing a distinguished value chain of lamb meat.
With a total population of approximately 2.1 million sheep and 1.5 million goats, small ruminants have a dominant role in livestock production and due to a growing dairy industry and high producer prices in the southern parts of Albania milk production from small ruminants (sheep) has become more and more attractive. Several studies and surveys (economics, production system) have been carried out in recent years by different actors in the small ruminant sector, indicating the necessity of reviewing a breeding strategy for small ruminants and its implementation in the farms. Breeders are lacking orientation for the choice of breeds and for the breeding strategy in their flocks.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Short Term Livestock Breeding Expert – in close collaboration with the project management, the “Ionian Lamb” livestock association and other stakeholders of Albanian livestock breeding (University, breeding centers, professional organizations) will elaborate proposals for an appropriate small ruminant breeding policy, basing his / her work on:
- The existing sector studies and surveys;
- Discussions and interviews with the relevant experts, stakeholders and institutions in Albania;
- Visits to breeders and flocks in the project area (Saranda, Delvina) and in other areas of particular interest like Korca, Shkodra, Elbasan and Kukes;
- The expert will share his impressions and recommendations during a final event (workshop) with the interested stakeholders.
- Assess the situation of small ruminant breeding at a national scale in Albania (breeds, institutions involved, breeding programs, breeding population);
- Refer especially to the situation of “Ionian Lamb” livestock association in Saranda, Delvina and typical geographic areas of sheep’s meat and milk production in Albania;
- Formulate recommendations based on the abovementioned assessments, regarding the national level, for the competent authorities and for national strategy improvements;
- Formulate recommendations based on the above mentioned assessments, regarding the specific situation of Saranda, Delvina and typical geographic areas of sheep’s meat and meat production in Albania;
- Present the findings and recommendations at the end of mission in an event (workshop), organized by the UNDP livestock project;
- Assess the possibilities of legal-commercial use of brand / recognition (see 1) for the Association under the current statute of an NPO and for individual members;
- Support the association management in taking ownership of operative marketing initiatives (directly or through agents / service providers).
Formulate results of his / her assessment and the recommendations according the specifications under “technical responsibilities:”
- For the “Ionian Lamb” livestock association (choice of breed, import or local sources of breeding stock, selection criteria and method, performance control);
- For the national level of small ruminant breeding.
Present the findings and recommendations in a specific event organized with relevant stakeholders.
Deliver a technical mission report.
- Accuracy and strong results orientation;
- Proven analytic capacity;
- Proven capacity in strategizing of livestock and especially small ruminant breeding issues and hands on practical experience in animal breeding;
- Ability to establish effective and trustful working relations with all the national specialists and breeders of small ruminants;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Excellent computer/information systems skills;
- Resourcefulness, initiative, and maturity of judgment;
- Knowledge of the Albanian livestock or small ruminant sector would be an asset.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced degree in agricultural science or veterinary medicine with a specialization in animal (small ruminant) genetics and breeding
- Full understanding of the necessary infrastructure and services for livestock (small ruminant) breeding
- At least 10 years of experience in formulating breeding objectives, strategies and policies in the livestock (small ruminant) sector
- At least 10 years of hands on experience in implementing breeding programs in the livestock (small ruminant) sector
- Experience in the livestock (breeding) sector from Eastern European countries in the region, possibly in Albania
- Fluency in English, both verbally and in writing, is essential
Individual consultants are evaluated based on the Cumulative Analysis methodology (weighted scoring method), where the award of the contract will be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
- Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation
The applicable ratio of required technical and financial criteria will be respectively 70% and 30%
The following criteria will be used in Technical Evaluation:
- Demonstrate proven achievements in the area of breeding programs, assess the situation and develop strategy for meat and milk breeding improvement strategy;
- Proven ability and experience in conducting complex evaluation exercises for the UN system or comparable clients.
Only Individual Consultants obtaining a minimum of 70% of the obtainable points of 100 points in technical evaluation would be considered for the Financial Evaluation. UNDP applies a fair and transparent selection process that would take into account both the technical qualification of Individual Consultants as well as their financial proposals. The contract will be awarded to the candidate obtaining the highest combined technical and financial scores. UNDP retains the right to contact references directly. Due to large number of applications we receive, we are able to inform only the successful candidates about the outcome or status of the selection process.
Qualified candidates are requested to apply online via this website. The application should contain:
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please make sure you have provided all the requested materials.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.