PROJECT ASSISTANT FOR THE REPUBLIKA SRPSKA GENDER CENTER
||Banja Luka, BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA
|Application Deadline :||30-Jun-12|
|Additional Category||Women’s Empowerment|
|Type of Contract :||Individual Contract|
|Post Level :||National Consultant|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||one year|
Focusing on young people, especially adolescent girls and boys, is crucial to foster positive attitudes towards gender equality and to instill zero tolerance for violence against women and girls. Working with young people presents an invaluable opportunity to cultivate generations in which violence against women is no longer common place or tolerated and therefore UN Women is supporting the Republika Srpska (RS) Gender Center in the implementation of their project ‘YOUTH through the prism of Gender Equality’
Republika Srpska Gender Center in Bosnia and Herzegovina is aware that young people are generally not sufficiently familiar with the principles and standards of gender equality and the forms of manifestation of discrimination based on sex. In everyday life, young people are faced with stereotyped patterns of behavior, usually repetitive, which are traditionally imposed by the patriarchal society. Insufficient representation of gender issues in education programs and stereotyped portrayal of women and men in formal education programs continue to play the implied stereotype gender roles. The project that the RS Gender Center will implement is dedicated to informing and empowering young people by identifying stereotypes, discrimination based on sex and launching initiatives to promote gender equality in all areas of life.
This project aims to sensitize and strengthen the capacities of young people for understanding gender stereotypes and gender discrimination, as well as the normative and binding principles and standards of gender equality. Open discussions with young people will take place about different scopes of gender mainstreaming: education, labor, employment and access to resources, entrepreneurship, science, ICT, health, welfare, media, sport, culture, public and political life, and protection from violence, etc. A specific target group will be youth in rural areas, as they are one of the most marginalized groups in the Republika Srpska of Bosnia and Herzegovina. This project is also compatible with other activities that will be implemented by responsible institutional actors included in realization of the Action Plan for Improvement of Rural Women’s Situation in the Republika Srpska (2010 – 2015).
The main partners on this project will be: Ministry for Youth, Family and Sport of RS, Agency for Informational Society of RS and youth organizations in the Republika Srpska.
The key project activities will be:
- Establishment and maintenance of Internet portal: The Prism of Equality – Gender and Youth;
- Promotion of internet portal “Prism of Equality – Gender and Youth”;
- Conducting, printing and distributing an analysis on “Role of women and girls in ICT including recommendations for improving their participation and strengthening their role in the development of ICT society”;
- Promotion and dissemination of the analysis “Role of women and girls in ICT.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of UN Women and direct guidance of the RS Gender Center the Project Assistant is expected to:
- Organize, support and coordinate all the project activities related to the project implementation;
- Be the focal point for the maintenance of the web portal as well as prepare and update the web content;
- Establish contacts and cooperation with youth organizations, schools, faculties, ICT companies and other relevant stakeholders relevant for this project,
- Administrative and technical coordination and support to the development of the analysis about the role of women and girls in ICT.
- Be a focal point in Republika Srpska to support UN Women activities on enhancing youth participation and activism against gender based violence (campaigns, educational activities, etc.)
- Prepare regular (monthly) reports for UN Women.
The Project Assistant will be accountable and have dual responsibility to report and deliver to UN Women and the Republika Srpska Gender Center. At the beginning of the project, the workplan and a timeframe for the Project Assistant will be developed and monthly monitoring meetings will be set up with UN Women Youth and Gender Officer. After the project is implemented, a final internal evaluation will be delivered.
- Annual personal workplan
- Detailed timeframe for the project
- Monthly reports on the performed activities
- Web portal ‘The Prism of Equality – Gender and Youth’ is established and is regularly updated.
- The analysis on the Role of Women and Girls in ICT.
- Values cultural diversity;
- Interest and commitment to gender equality;
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Demonstrates analytical and strategic thinking;
- Good social skills to work with young people;
- Creative skills;
- Ability to take initiative, to be flexible and work effectively in teams;
- Ability to perform coherently a variety of tasks.
Required Skills and Experience
- Graduate degree in gender studies, media and education studies, sociology, political sciences, interdisciplinary studies or other field related to youth and gender;
- Experience in working on issues related to youth activism, preferably related to gender equality issues;
- Experience working with women and youth civil society organizations in BiH;
- Demonstrated research experience with proven adaptive and creative research skills;
- Experience in organizing trainings related to gender equality, events and interacting with people;
- Experience and active involvement in human rights and gender related projects;
- Proficiency in written and spoken English.
Duration: July 2012 – June 2013.
Qualified and interested candidates are requested to apply on-line, no later than 30th June 2012
The application should contain:
- Cover letter explaining the applicant’s interest in applying for the position.
- Filled P11 form including past experience in similar projects and contact details of referees (blank form can be downloaded from: http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment/); please upload the P11 instead of your CV!
UN Women applies fair and transparent selection process that would take into account the competencies/skills of the applicants as well as their financial proposals.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.