CONSULTANT ON GENDER AND CAPACITY DEVELOPMENT FOR AID EFFECTIVENESS
||Phnom Penh, CAMBODIA
|Application Deadline :||08-Jul-12|
|Type of Contract :||Individual Contract|
|Post Level :||International Consultant|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||160 working days (9 months from 1 August 2012 to 30 April 2013)|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||Consultant has to be based in Cambodia for the entire period|
Efforts to advance Gender Equality in Cambodia are important part of the UNDP Country Programme with the explicit outcome: “By 2015, gender disparities in participation and economic growth reduced”.
In this context, the Partnership for Gender Equity III (PGEIII) is the third phase of UNDP project providing technical assistance to the Ministry of Women’s Affairs (MoWA) in its endeavour to promote greater gender equality in Cambodia.
GE III has 3 main complimentary outputs:
- Development of gender responsive policies, plans and budgets of key sectors and the monitoring of their implementation;
- Increase of access to gender-sensitive business development services of women entrepreneurs;
- Scale-up of preventive and remedial responses to gender based violence.
(Read more here http://www.un.org.kh/undp/component/zoo/partnership-for-gender-equity-phase-iii ).
The Royal Government of Cambodia is committed to a policy and a partnership that promotes development effectiveness as it pertains to a) the achievement of development results; (b) the strengthening of capacity and promotion of sustainability; and (c) the engagement of all development actors in an effective partnership that is coordinated under Government leadership.
2012 and 2013 mark substantial support, under a SIDA-UNDP partnership to be provided by PGE III to the MoWA and to the Gender Mainstreaming Action Groups (GMAGs) established in line ministries in order to advance on a number of priorities, in particular:
- To accelerate the achievement of CMDG3, notably with regard to its targets on economic opportunities for women;
- To develop and gradually implement a comprehensive capacity development (CD) strategy for MoWA and for selected GMAGs in support of a better aid effectiveness through Programme Based Approach (PBA) to be launched in 2012 around the theme: “Women’s economic empowerment”;
- To develop the concept for the fourth strategic plan of Cambodia on Gender equality (Neary Rattanak IV) and the Cambodia Gender Assessment III (CGAIII).
In preparation of the above, PGEIII completed the following:
- Capacity Needs Assessment of MoWA (in 2010), validated and enhanced through a CD matrix (in 2012);
- Mid-Term Review (MTR) of Neary Rattanak III, the current national strategic plan for gender equality being implemented by MoWA, line ministries and Development Partners (DPs);
- A road map for PBA and background papers: e.g. for the creation of a PBA working group (in 2012);
- A proposal for the MAF: MDG Acceleration Framework focusing on women’s economic empowerment to be rolled out in May 2012.
Duties and Responsibilities
The overall objective of the assignment is to advance the implementation of the capacity development strategy by MoWA and by up to five GMAGs in line ministries in support of PBA, MAF, NRIV and CGAIII as per above mentioned priorities for 2012 and 2013.
S/he will coordinate the inputs to develop the detailed, practical next steps in MoWA’s capacity development exercise including an M&E framework for its gradual implementation. S/he will take into account the capacity assessment of MoWA (2010) and the CD matrix (2012), the Mid Term Review (2012) of NRIII as well as the road map and background documents for the development of the PBA (2012).
Based on above mentioned background materials and an inception meeting with senior staff from MoWA, PGE and UNDP country office, the consultant will finalize and move the capacity development strategy of MoWA and up to five GMAGs towards demonstrable results, in particular with regard to successfully coordinating the processes of the PBA and the MAF on the priority: Women’s Economic Empowerment.
This consultancy includes active support and inputs towards the preparation of the concept of Neary Rattanak IV (in 2012) and the Cambodia Gender Analysis: CGA III (in 2013) as well as the periodic PGE reports.
Deliverables/Outputs and Schedule:
- Compendium of all relevant recommendations for the Capacity Development (CD) of MoWA and Capacity development needs of up to 5 GMAGs (By end August)
- Mapping of CD on gender & aid effectiveness and CD strategic plan, M&E and prioritized matrix (2012-2013) for MoWA and for 5 GMAGs (By end September)
- CD annual plans for each department in MoWA and Results based reports of meetings with PBA working groups (MoWA, TWG/G and DPs), and the follow-up on the implementation of the CD (By end October)
- Update of GMAPs and development of CD annual plans of 5 GMAGs (By end Nov)
- Input to NR4 (Dec 2012)
- Results based report of organisation of CD sessions according to established plans (During Dec 2012, Jan, Feb., Mar & April 2013)
- Directory of CD beneficiaries (By end Feb 2013)
- Reporting and documentation (In Oct 2012, Jan and April 2013)
- Input to CGA 3 (March 2013)
- Substantial knowledge and understanding of aid effectiveness issues, programme based approach and recent developments in the international arena, in particular the Paris and Busan declarations and the institutional and technical capacities required on the side of governmental organizations;
- Familiarity with UN agencies and other donors’ procedures, policies, rules and regulations, desirable;
- Demonstrated strong communications skills (oral and written), sense of initiative and excellent conceptual and analytical capacities;
- Excellent computer literacy;
- Excellent command of written and spoken English;
- Knowledge of Khmer language, an asset.
Required Skills and Experience
- Post graduate degree (Master) in social-sciences, gender studies, international relations or a similar relevant field.
- At least 7 years of relevant working experience in the areas of capacity development of national entities and or management of development programmes;
- At least 4 years’ experience on gender mainstreaming and women’s empowerment;
- Experience on women’s economic empowerment, a distinct advantage;
- Field experience in Cambodia or in South East Asia, a requirement, with demonstrated capacity and substantial experience in dealing with policy and strategic issues;
- Extensive experience in working with both Government and development partners’ senior level officials;
- Experience in facilitation and participative approaches.
The application shall comprise the following documents:
- Cover letter: Explaining why the candidate the most suitable for the work;
- Completed and signed UNDP Personal History Form and Personal CV;
Please refer to INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT (IC) PROCUREMENT NOTICE on UNDP Cambodia Procurement Page at http://www.un.org.kh/undp/procurement-notices/undpjobid30804 for detailed term of references, instructions to applicant, and documents to be included when submitting application.
If interested candidate requests additional information, may notify the Procurement Unit in writing to e-mail address: email@example.com. The Procurement Unit would endeavor to provide information expeditiously, but any delay in providing such information will not be considered a reason for extending the submission date of your application.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.