|Application Deadline :||08-Aug-12|
|Type of Contract :||FTA International|
|Post Level :||P-3|
|Languages Required :||
English French |
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One year|
Under the overall guidance of the DRR, the Finance Specialist is responsible for ensuring the highest efficiency in financial resources management and the provision of accurate, thoroughly researched and documented financial information, effective delivery of the project financial services, transparent utilization of the project financial resources. He/she analyzes and interprets the financial rules and regulations and provides solutions to a wide spectrum of complex financial issues. The Finance Specialist promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Finance Specialist works in close collaboration with the Management Support and Business Development, Programme, Operations, and project teams in the CO, UNDP HQ staff and Government officials ensuring successful performance in the project.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensure effective and accurate financial resources management and oversight, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Financial analysis and oversight for all resources managed by the project and provision of high-quality professional advice to the project team and the CO management;
- Proper planning, expenditure tracking and audit of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Organization and oversight of the project cash management processes, risk assessment, timely accounting and reconciliation of all transactions, security for cash assets on site;
- Monitoring of financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions and investigation of anomalies or unusual transactions. Provision of information to supervisors and other UNDP staff at HQ on the results of the investigation when satisfactory answers are not obtained.
Ensure implementation of operational and financial management strategies and procedures, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of financial activities, financial recording/reporting system and audit follow up with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of the effective internal control, proper design and functioning of the financial resources management system;
- Continuous analysis and monitoring of the financial situation, presentation of forecasts for the projects;
- Elaboration of the framework and conditions of contribution within the CO resource mobilization efforts;
- Routinely monitors financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions, and investigates anomalies or unusual transactions. Informs supervisors and other UNDP staff at Headquarters of the results of the investigation when satisfactory answers are not obtained.
Manage the project budget, focusing on achievement of the following results:
Management of all financial resources of the project through planning, guiding, monitoring and controlling of the resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations;
Preparation and monitoring of project’ budgets in Atlas;
Regular analysis and reporting on the delivery situation of the project;
- Elaboration of proper mechanisms to eliminate deficiencies in budget management;
- Collection of information on internal and external clients’ satisfaction and needs in order to develop improvements to services;
- Ensuring that advance payments and direct payments for the project are properly reviewed and made on a timely basis, as well as ensuring that payment information is properly recorded into the Atlas system on a timely basis;
- Submission of financial reports to donors on a timely and quality basis.
Ensure facilitation of knowledge building and sharing in the CO, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of training for the projects staff on Finance;
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build alliances
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners
- Displays initiative, sets challenging outputs for him/herself and willingly accepts new work assignments
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches
- Participates in the development of mechanisms, including identifying new approaches to promote individual and organizational learning and knowledge sharing using formal and informal methodologies
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines (financial resources management)
- Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Continually looking for ways to enhance financial performance in the office
PromotingOrganizationalChange and Development
- Performs appropriate work analysis and assists in redesign to establish clear standards for implementation
Design And Implementation of Management Systems
- Makes recommendations regarding operation of systems within organizational units
- Identifies and recommends remedial measures to address problems in systems design or implementation
- Anticipates client needs
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective
- Solicits feedback on service provision and quality
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
- Provides inputs to the development of organizational standards for accountability
- Building support and political acumen
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation
- Building and promoting effective teams
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization
- Leveraging conflict in the interests of UNDP & setting standards
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced (Masters) University Degree in Finance/Accounting, Business, or Public Administration, or a professional accounting qualification from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy.
- Professionally qualified accountants from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage.
- UNDP Advanced Accountancy & Finance Test required.
- 5 years of relevant experience in providing financial management advisory services and/or managing staff and operational systems.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages.
- Experience in handling of web based management systems and ERP financials, preferably PeopleSoft.
Experience of IPSAS and/or IFRS is required for external candidates.
- Fluency in French and working Knowledge in English.
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.