CONSULTANT: INTERNATIONAL EXPERT FOR INSTRUCTION AND TRAINING FOR IMPLEMENTATION OF SOLAR THERMAL COLLECTOR SYSTEMS
||Home based with one field visit in Dragash Municipality, Kosovo, UN Administered Territory
|Application Deadline :||01-Jul-12|
|Type of Contract :||Individual Contract|
|Post Level :||International Consultant|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||10 working days (from July to end of October 2012)|
Under the Conservation of Biodiversity and Sustainable Land Use Management Project in Dragash, UNDP is implementing a 3 year project (2010 to 2013) aiming at establishment of institutional framework to enable sustainable development. One constraint faced today by the local communities refers to lack of knowledge and experience in implementing Renewable Energy Technologies [RET] including Solar Thermal Systems [STS].
STSs are forming a promising environmentally sound alternative to conventional fuel including firewood, coal, gas and in most cases electric boilers with overall low energy efficiency for thermal energy service e.g. space heating and water heating.
According to results of consultations with local village working groups, owners of SME including shops, cafes and restaurants are ready for investment in such technologies if more economically viable. The same holds for private households.
However, local craftsmen (e.g. plumbers, installers for heating systems) have no specific knowledge and experience in implementing STSs.
The Energy Component (output 3) of the project is amongst others focusing on capacity development in the commercial private sector to support implementation of RET including Solar Thermal Systems by local SME.
Objectives of Assignment:
The training seminar on STS is aiming at developing capacity of local craftsmen for properly selecting and installing STSs in small business and private households. “Hands on” exercises during installation of one of such systems would provide practical experience to be applied during installation and maintenance of STS.
Duties and Responsibilities
Collecting Background Information and Preparation of Training Material.The International Consultant
- Will prepare a specification for an around 100 l STS for replacing an electric boiler according to the specific demand provided by the project. This specification will be used for tendering the STS on the local market by the project. The STS will be used for practical instruction on installation and operation during the seminar. A list of tools needed for installation of such system would be provided by the consultant.
- Will develop a training concept including evaluation criteria for learning progress of the participants (to be approved by the International Senior Energy Advisor of the project),
- Will develop training material (power point presentation, handouts to the participants, etc. in English language, and translated by a translator provided by the project.
Capacity Building and Training Seminar (5 days):
The International Consultant will conduct a 5 days capacity building and training seminar, including based on the training concept, including:
- Explanation of basic principles of technical process of Solar Thermal Heating (theoretical instruction);
- Explanation of components and critical parameters of STSs (instruction based on demonstration of STS components);
- Demonstration of proper and professional installation of STS “on the job” while installing a real STS (e.g. at a public school);
- Instruction of maintenance work on STS based on demonstration at the installed STS;
- Providing and explaining a manual for installation and maintenance of STS to each of the participants.
Deliverables / Final Products Expected:
- Concept for a 5 days capacity building and training seminar on STS;
- Instruction material on technical principles, installation and maintenance of STS (in English language – to be translated by a local translator of the project);
- Manual for installation and maintenance of STS as handouts for participants;
- Summary report on preparation, conducting and evaluating the Capacity Building / Training seminar on installation and maintenance of STS.
Material would be provided in English language as soft copies (pdf files) and 3 printed hard copies. As far as needed, translation in local languages (Albanian and Serbian) would be done by a local translator provided by the project.
Communication and inter-personal skills:
- Communicates effectively with nonacademic students/trainees and supervisors at all levels, and is outgoing and comfortable in handling internal and external relations;
- Demonstrates sensitivity, tact and diplomacy;
- Is culturally sensitive and demonstrates appreciation for different cultures and practices.
- Analytical skills;
- Able to exercise sound judgment;
- Works well in a team and projects a positive image;
- Self motivated and able to recommend options for resolution of issues;
- Able to handle confidential in a responsible and mature manner;
- Is capable of multitasking and is capable of self organizing based on multiple priorities as set by Project Manager.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (Master or equivalent) in engineering.
- At least 10 years professional experience with STS design, installation and maintenance;
- International training experience in the field of Solar Thermal Technologies.
- Profound command of English language.
Relevant references will be considered as an asset.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.