PROJECT ASSISTANT FOR UNDP PROJECT: SUPPORT TO ENHANCING INSTITUTIONAL CAPACITY ON GLOBAL ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT AND GOVERNANCE
|Application Deadline :||07-Jul-12|
|Type of Contract :||Service Contract|
|Post Level :||SB-2|
|Languages Required :||
Arabic English |
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||1 Year|
|UNDP is implementing the Programme "Support to Enhancing Institutional Capacity for Global Economic Environment and Governance". This Programme aims at enhancing institutional and technical capacities in order to improve the efficiency of the economic governance system, targeting the primary stakeholder, the Ministry of Industry and Commerce, followed by the private sector and other line institutions. The activities will support the creation of adequate national capacities for effective trade policy administration.
The expected results of this programme are:
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Programme Manager, the Project Assistant will provide support to the effective and efficient management of the project through a range of actions contributing to the design, planning, management, and monitoring of project activities. The Project Assistant will apply and promote the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
- ? Enhanced Negotiation, application and implementation of World Trade Organization (WTO) Doha Development Agenda (DDA), Free Trade Agreement (FTA) and Trade Policy Review outcomes;?
- Institutionalizing of procedures under World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) agreements for Intellectual Property systems of registration are consistent with national objectives and international requirements;?
- Strengthened capacity of Bahrain in the implementation of the World Trade Organization (WTO) Technical Barriers to Trade (TBT) Agreement.
Duties and Responsibilities
|The Project Assistant will work in close collaboration with the Programme, Operations, Communications and other project teams for effective achievement of results, anticipating and contributing to resolving complex programme/project-related issues and information delivery. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Assume overall responsibility for administrative matters of a more general nature, such as registry and maintenance of project files and records;
- Provide support to national and international consultants in the implementation of their tasks for the achievement of project results (communication, contracts, agenda, visas, hotel reservations, etc.);
- Maintain records on all project personnel and local consultants and their respective status (contracts, ToRs, sick leave, vacation, etc.) in accordance with accepted policies and procedures;
- Prepare draft contracts to be finalized by the UNDP office;
- Make pertinent logistical arrangements for the prompt and effective implementation of the project activities;
- Draft minutes of Management Board/Steering Committee and project team meetings;
- Arrange external and internal meetings (including the meetings of the Steering Committee, Technical Working Groups, among others).
- Prepare payments requests and related forms;
- Monitor budget expenditures and maintain a proper record of approved project budgets and their revisions;
- Prepare proposals for budget revisions;
- Prepare and submit expenditure and programme budget status reports;
- Respond to queries with respect to financial aspects of the programme, liaise with UNDP-appointed and external auditors wherever required;
- Prepare recurring reports as scheduled and special reports as required for budget preparations and audit;
- Advise and assist international advisors and national consultants on all aspects of allowances, travel claims and other financial matters and calculate payments due for claims and services;
- Undertake other financial and administrative tasks on an ad hoc basis.
- In accordance with the Work plan arrange for procurement of equipment, supplies and services;
- Ensure that contractual processes follow the stipulated UNDP procedures;
- At least two years of experience in administrative work, accounting, finance, economics, public administration or other substantive area is required;
- Previous experience in development assistance or related work for a donor organization, governmental institutions, NGO or private sector / consulting firm would be a strong advantage;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems is required;
- Strong administrative skills; Well organized, methodical, ability to set priorities and pay attention to detail;
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills and collaborative managerial style; Ability to work in a multicultural team;
- Knowledge and experience of international trade, intellectual property and Standards issues would be a strong advantage;
- Excellent communication skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor degree in law, economics, business or public administration, or other related field.
- Fluency in English and Arabic.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.