CONTENT ANALYSIS OF MDG REPORTS - CONSULTANT (2 POSITIONS)
|Application Deadline :||29-Jun-12|
|Additional Category||Poverty Reduction|
|Type of Contract :||Individual Contract|
|Post Level :||International Consultant|
|Languages Required :||
English French Spanish |
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||30 days|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||30 days|
As we approach 2015 – the MDG target date – there is considerable debate on what could come after. Any future shared development agenda would have to be responsive to currently anticipated needs, while also drawing from the experience with the MDGs. Such an agenda will be informed by evidence from a diversity of countries, as well as global multilateral processes that will determine mutually agreed upon parameters for collective action.
National government MDG reports are well known sources of evidence from the ground. Since the formulation of the MDGs, UNDP has been providing support to governments to formulate these reports. Intended originally to help with stocktaking, advocacy and political consensus building, these reports have, over time, become an important basis for deriving lessons learned; documenting emerging issues; and examining new challenges and priorities in the context of the MDGs. Properly guided, they can be invaluable in helping inform the post-2015 development agenda through contributing data and analysis capturing what countries have themselves learned from their experience with the MDGs, and their own most prominent concerns and challenges including those with inequality, food security, sustainability and resilience.
In view of this, the Poverty Group, at the Bureau of Development Policy, is seeking to recruit two Research Consultants to analyze the data provided in National MDG Reports.
The overall objective of this initiative is to use the data reported for the Goals, Targets and Indicators that can be drawn from the National MDGs Progress Reports to take stock – after 12 years of experience - on the trends and emerging needs that are currently driving the development agenda of National Governments towards the achievement of the MDG Goals at the Country level (including the provincial and local levels), including concrete lessons learned.
Duties and Responsibilities
The consultants will work closely with the Team Leader and members of the MDG support team on scanning and collection of all the concrete data of each national Goal, targets and relevant indicator at the national level through each National MDG Progress Report. A template (matrix) to collect the data needed has been prepared and tested for that purpose. The division of labour among the consultants is likely to be:
- One consultant will be responsible for data collection covering the Regions of the Arab States, Asia-Pacific and Eastern Europe and CIS (English).
- A second consultant will be covering the Africa and Latin-American and Caribbean Region (English, French and Spanish).
Description of duties:
- Provide inputs to improve the matrix template, as it may be required.
- Scan the data information contained in the National MDG Progress Reports that include similar goals, targets and indicators, as per the list of official MDG global goals, targets and indicators.
- Identify new goals, targets and indicators included in the National MDG Progress Reports per country.
- Transfer the data by goal, by target and relevant indicator to the excel matrix template.
- Suggest statistical softwares and tools that can facilitate the content analysis.
- Provide regular summary overviews of the collected data and report on the essential findings from the reports.
The consultants will deliver:
- Regular updates of progress in the analysis of the reports; and
- A completed template from a sample of MDG Progress Reports, covering the specified regions, with the analysis of goals, targets and indicators for over the years – as per the matrix template provided
The research is to be conducted from July to August 2012, for a maximum number of 30 working days.
Payment shall be based on a daily rate and will be made upon satisfactory performance of the above tasks.
The consultants shall report to the MDG Cluster Team Leader. The consultant will liaise regularly through e-mail and skype to report on progress, challenges in collecting information and other issues that might arise while undertaking the research, as well as to give a regular update on progress made.
- Strong research, analytical, writing and editing skills, with track record in producing similar reports and other material in English.
- Demonstrated understanding of international development issues, including in the area of poverty reduction and MDG achievement.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, attention to detail and proven ability to work independently under tight deadlines.
- Proficiency in the usage of computers and office software packages.
- Knowledge of English is a pre-requisite, additional knowledge of either French / Spanish is an asset.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree in development, economics, statistics, international relations, public administration or relevant field.
- At least two years of experience in research (particularly related to the MDGs, development and poverty), with a particular focus on statistics and collection of data.
- Prior experience of working with, or dealing with UN/UNDP in different continents is preferred
- Knowledge of data collection, analysis and monitoring trends
- Proficiency in the usage of computers, statistical software packages (e.g. STATA) and content analysis
- Knowledge of English is a prerequisite, additional knowledge of either French / Spanish is an asset.
Best value for money approach - The financial will account for 30% and technical will account for 70% of the total evaluation score.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.