|Application Deadline :||08-Jul-12|
|Additional Category||Democratic Governance|
|Type of Contract :||Service Contract|
|Post Level :||SC-8|
|Languages Required :||
English Russian |
|Duration of Initial Contract :||6 months (with possible extension subject to satisfactory performance)|
|Project Title/Department: Support in enhancing of Local Governance System and Participatory Governance in Uzbekistan
Work status (full time / part time): Full time
Reports To: Project Manager
UNDP “Local Governance Support Project: participation and partnership” aims to enhance the capacities of local government bodies and assistance to private-public partnership. National priorities of the Republic of Uzbekistan will be taken into account during the implementation of the project. This will be achieved through: enabling favorable environment by preparation of a series of analytical papers, enhancing the public administration system through improvement of legislative base, enhancing the capacity of civil servants, preparing territorial development strategies, introducing participatory governance work and e-governance tools, and showcasing pilot initiatives on public-private partnerships in the area of recreation resources management in two selected regions of the Republic of Uzbekistan. The project will contribute to implementation of the national programmes which foresee the participation of local governments to perform effectively the public policy with a view to introduce advanced methods into local governance system.
Therefore, to ensure successful implementation of project, it is especially important to deliver development results at the local level, reach consensus and partnerships among stakeholders both on national (Tashkent) and regional levels (Namangan and Djizzak), as well as raise awareness on local governance initiatives, benefits of e-governance and public administration reform (PAR) among stakeholders and population on the whole.
Duties and Responsibilities
|Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, Task Manager will bear responsibility for smooth implementation of the project and fulfill the following duties and responsibilities:
- Assist Project Manager in day-to-day Project activities and its overall implementation process with regards to selected pilot region (Djizzak) and submit both monthly and quarterly reports on programmatic activities and events in region;
- Participate in elaboration and supervising execution of the Project’s Annual Plan of Activities, work plan, joint action plans with regional khokimiyat, analyze emerging problems and propose adequate measures to ensure timely fulfillment of envisioned tasks;
- Ensures that project contributes to the promotion of gender equality by reaching, involving and benefiting both women and men in its activities (gender mainstreaming);
- Identifies partnership strategies with regard to providers of specialised expertise, with special encouragements for providers with a gender mandate/gender knowledge, and possible co-financiers, and leads resource mobilisation for project components;
- Coordinates recruitment process of the local and international consultants and ensures timely delivery of services and payments;
- Identify teams of qualified full-time and part-time national consultants, format and supervise their activities;
- Contributes to the process of raising public awareness and PR about the Project and related activities, including organizing trainings/seminars/workshops with participation of representatives from the Government, private sector, NGOs, mass media;
- Establishing contacts with international organizations, funds, institutes etc., seeking potential donors and partners and collaborate closely with local government bodies (khokimiyats, Kengashes, etc.), business support institutions, private sector, civil society and other development actors;
- Ensures the effective implementation of pilot initiatives on One-Stop-Shops on public services, Local Government Information Centers on providing citizens with access to information, e-document management system in khokimiyat, community-based tourism in Zaamin district, partnership building among different local stakeholders on regional development strategy and capacity development of civil servants;
- Participation in fundraising activities including search for grants and other sources of funding for joint projects and/or sub projects, including encouraging local communities and beneficiaries to apply for external funding and seeking for self-financing options;
- Analyzes lessons learned from project activities in regions, codify best practices and knowledge base on pilot experience of LGSP in Djizzak region;
- Contributes substantially to preparation/drafting of research and analytical papers planned within the Project, including submission and discussion of analytical reports with local beneficiaries;
- Backstopping the Project manager in his/her absence;
- Perform other duties as requested.
|Competencies and Critical Success Factors|
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Must be capable of combining efficient implementation of UNDP values on Democratic Governance, ensuring and facilitating the coordination and collaboration of diverse stakeholder groups and good team work with national and international consultants;
- Excellent leadership, self-management, communications and presentation skills;
- Good analytical and writing skills;
- Computer literacy and ability to use modern technology and social media as a tool in every-day work;
- Ability to share knowledge and experience;
- Result-oriented to meet the needs of client;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to quick learning;
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities;
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints;
- Responds positively to feedback and different viewpoints.
- Demonstrating ethics and integrity;
- Self-development, initiative and reasonable risk taking,
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Required Skills and Experience
Education: University Degree in Business or Public Administration, Public Policy, Political Sciences, Law, Economics and Social Sciences. Master’s degree would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
Experience: At least 4 years of relevant work experience. (Previous experience in government agencies would be considered as a strong asset).
Language Requirements: Fluency in English and Uzbek, proficiency in Russian
Others: Ability to use information and communication technology as a tool and resource.
All interested and qualified candidates are required to apply on-line through the UNDP website at www.undp.uz. The UNDP will only accept applications submitted on-line.
Please ensure that before making on-line application you have completed the UNDP Personal History Form (P11). The electronic version of the P11 can be downloaded from http://www.undp.uz (Vacancies Section). The completed (P11) further to be uploaded while applying on-line.
The deadline for submission of application is COB, 08 July, 2012. Incomplete applications or applications received after the closing date (08 July, 2012) will not be given consideration. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be notified.
For more detailed information about UNDP Uzbekistan please visit our website at www.undp.uz. UNDP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified female candidates, people with disabilities, and minorities are highly encouraged to apply. UNDP Balance in Manage Policy promotes achievement of gender balance among its staff at all levels.
The position is open for Uzbekistan citizens only
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.