PROCUREMENT ASSOCIATE - TANZANIA NATIONALS ONLY
||Dar es salaam, TANZANIA
|Application Deadline :||06-Jul-12|
|Type of Contract :||FTA Local|
|Post Level :||GS-7|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One year|
|As one of the original eight pilot countries for the UN Reform initiative Delivering as One, Tanzania is a global leader in advancing reforms of the UN system, with a view to support accelerated harmonization in implementation practices, coherence in programming, and alignment with national systems, intended to produce a reduction in transaction costs and enhanced development impact.
Deepening reform will require new and even more innovative ways for the UN agencies to work together. Programme planning, resource mobilization, evaluation, and review activities will be done collaboratively. There will be increased harmonization of UN policies, procedures and tools, possibly leading towards the establishment of a One UN Operations Team.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Procurement Analyst and direct supervisor, the Procurement Associate ensures execution of transparent and efficient procurement services and processes in CO. The Procurement Associate promotes a client-focused, quality and results- oriented approach in the Unit.
The Procurement Associate can supervise clerical and support staff of the Procurement Unit. The Procurement Associate works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and projects’ staff in the CO and UNDP HQs staff for resolving complex procurement-related issues and information exchange.
Duties and Responsibilities
|1. Ensures administration and implementation of the operational strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Full compliance of procurement activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of the effective internal control, proper functioning of a client-oriented procurement management system.
• CO Procurement business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Procurement and Logistics, control of the workflows in the Procurement Unit.
• Elaboration of proposals and implementation of cost saving and reduction strategies in consultation with office management.
• Provision of researched information for formulation and implementation of contract strategy and strategic procurement in the CO including tendering processes and evaluation, managing the contract and contractor, legal considerations and payment conditions, sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management, e-procurement introduction.
2. Organizes procurement processes for CO, NEX/DEX projects and at the request of other Agencies focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Preparation of procurement plans for the office and projects and their implementation monitoring.
• Organization of procurement processes including preparation and conduct of RFQs, ITBs or RFPs, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their evaluation, negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with UNDP rules and regulations.
• Preparation of Purchase orders and contracts in and outside Atlas, preparation of Recurring Purchase orders for contracting of services, vendors’ creation in Atlas. Buyers profile in Atlas.
• Review of procurement processes conducted by projects; submissions to the Contract, Asset and Procurement Committee (CAP) and Advisory Committee on Procurement (ACP).
• Implementation of the internal control system which ensures that Purchase orders are duly prepared and dispatched. Timely corrective actions on POs with budget check errors and other problems.
• Presentation of researched information on procurement in the CO.
• Preparation of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for the procurement services provided by UNDP to other Agencies.
• Organization of joint procurement processes for the UN Agencies in line with the UN Reform.
3. Ensures implementation of sourcing strategy and e-procurement tools focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Development and update of the rosters of suppliers, implementation of supplier selection and evaluation.
• Preparation and organization of Procurement for Individual Contracts for the office, Projects and other UN Agencies.
4. Ensures proper control of CO Assets focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Preparation of inventory reports.
• Implementation of Inventory and physical verification control in the CO and projects.
• Ensures recovery of cost and billing for various procurement services rendered by the organization to projects and other UN Agencies.
5. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on Procurement.
• Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in Procurement.
• Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.1: Maintaining information and databases
? Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.1: Basic research and analysis
? Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
? Documents innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
? Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
? Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
? Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates same in own work
? Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
? Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
Level 1.1: Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
? Documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
? Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Level 1.1: Data gathering and implementation of management systems
? Uses information/databases/other management systems
? Provides inputs to the development of simple system components
? Makes recommendations related to work procedures and implementation of management systems
Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationships
? Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
? Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
? Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
? Responds to client needs promptly
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
Level 1.1: Gathering and disseminating information
? Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
? Prepares timely inputs to reports
? Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
? Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
? Self-development, initiative-taking
? Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
? Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
? Creating synergies through self-control
? Managing conflict
? Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
? Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
Secondary Education with specialized training in procurement. University Degree in Business or Public Administration would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
7 years of progressively responsible administrative experience is required at the national or international level. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc), advance knowledge of automated procurement systems, experience in handling of web based management systems.
Fluency in oral and written English and Kiswahili
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.