ADMINISTRATIVE/TEAM ASSISTANT - DEPARTMENT OF POLITICAL AFFAIRS (DPA) ,FOR YEMENI NATIONALS ONLY
|Application Deadline :||04-Jul-12|
|Type of Contract :||TA Local|
|Post Level :||GS-5|
|Languages Required :||
Arabic English |
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||Six months , renewable for additional six months|
|The Department of Political Affairs (DPA) commissioned a mission to Yemen to support the political transition in the country and oversee the implementation of the UN Security Council Resolution.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Special Adviser and in collaboration with the team, the Administrative Assistant will perform a wide range of office support and administrative functions including:
- Maintain calendar/schedules; monitors changes and communicate relevant information to appropriate staff inside and outside the immediate work unit.
- Perform a variety of administrative duties (e.g. leave recording, meeting organization, reservations, office supply and equipment orders, etc.), including preparing and/or processing administrative requests/documents (e.g., travel requests, expense claims, vouchers, visa applications, etc.).
- Maintain files (both paper and electronic) and databases for work unit.
- Provide additional support for mission trips (e.g. preparing trip folders, maintaining contact lists, distributing news updates, translating, etc.).
- Maintain liaison with the New York office, Executive Office, and other units regarding on-going administrative matters; monitors processes and schedules related to the unit’s outputs, products, tasks, etc.
- Ensure smooth and efficient information flow within the team; prepares and processes confidential information; assists in the development of office administrative systems and procedures.
- Undertake research & mapping of political activities and issues pertaining to the political transition in Yemen.
- Provide assistance in the coordination of service-wide activities (meetings, training, etc.), special projects and events.
- Orients new staff to relevant administrative procedures and practices and provides general assistance to other office support staff, as required; may coordinate the work of office support staff in providing meetings servicing/administrative support.
- Respond or draft responses to a wide range of correspondence and other communications; uses standard word processing package to produce a wide variety of large, complex documents and reports.
- Carry out quality control function for outgoing documents; proofreads and edits texts for adherence for format, grammar,punctuation and style.
- Respond to complex information requests and inquiries (e.g. answers requests requiring file search, etc.).
- Assist in the preparation of presentation materials using appropriate technology/software.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of general office and administrative support including administrative policies, processes
- Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter;
is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing
others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning & Organizing:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and
assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Required Skills and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent, university degree is desirable but is not a requirement.
- Five years of progressively responsible experience in the field of administration.
- Good knowledge of the Organization's structure, protocol policies and administrative policies.
- Fluency in English and Arabic (both oral and written) is required
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.