CONSULTANCY - UNDP LEADERSHIP FOR RESULTS FACILITATOR
||Hargeisa (with travel to Garowe and Nairobi), SOMALIA
|Application Deadline :||03-Jul-12|
|Type of Contract :||Individual Contract|
|Post Level :||International Consultant|
|Languages Required :||
|Duration of Initial Contract :||12 days|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||12 days|
UNDP Somalia works to support three cross cutting issues in all the work we support as outlined in our Country Programme Document 2011 - 2015. These include peace building, gender and HIV & AIDS. For this training there will be a focus on mediation, negotiation and dispute resolution as core peace building skills to develop leadership in gender, HIV & AIDS as well as peace building.
In order to build the capacity of key individuals (Champions) from each of these various backgrounds, UNDP Somalia has decided to support a UNDP Leadership for Results Training course which will take place in Somaliland and Puntland in 2012.
Our vision is to bring together key leaders from multiple stakeholder backgrounds in Somalia to discuss each of these issues, and initiate a number of breakthrough initiatives.
Therefore the leadership programme proposed is foreseen to support practical efforts to build the capacity, motivate and engage leaders on their role to address each of these cross cutting issues in their area of interest e.g. peace building, gender or HIV & AIDS.
Duties and Responsibilities
The objectives of the training are: -
- To bring together key leaders from multiple stakeholder backgrounds in the country to better respond to cross cutting issues such as peace building, gender and HIV;
- To build the capacity, motivate and engage leaders on their role to address each of the cross cutting issues mentioned above and to become ‘Champions’ in this regard.
Scope of Work:
- Co-facilitate Leadership for Results training course for two groups of approximately 90 people in total in Somalia from 9th- 19th July 2012;
- Consolidate understanding of participants on the role leadership plays in scaling up action to peace building, gender and HIV at national, regional and sub-regional levels;
- Intensify the understanding of participants on transformational leadership constructs and competencies using leadership tools;
- Intensify the understanding of participants on the role of mediation, negotiation and dispute resolution to overcome blockages, develop networks and enhance leadership in peace building, gender and HIV & AIDS;
- Develop workshop training outline and co facilitate training for two groups of participants in Somaliland and Puntland;
- Support participants to identify ‘breakthrough initiatives’ to address key challenges (obstacles) in relation to peace building, gender and HIV in Somalia;
- Compile satisfactory workshop reports with concrete recommendations for each of the training sessions with the way forward for each of the different participants groups that participate in this leadership programme.
Monitoring and Progress controls:
The consultant will work alongside one of the authors of the UNDP ‘Leadership for Results’ toolkit. In addition the UNDP HIV Specialist, Gender Specialist and Peace Building Adviser will participate in the training to provide added support and ensure that the objectives of the training are met. The final payment for this consultancy will be made once a satisfactory report on both training workshops has been submitted by the consultant.
- Facilitation of the training ‘Leadership for Results’ for a select group of individuals working on HIV, gender issues and peace building in Somalia;
- Compilation of satisfactory reports on the workshop outcomes with recommendations for future action.
The final report on both training workshops should be submitted by the consultant by the latest on the 31st July 2012.
- Excellent communication skills (spoken, written and presentational);
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work in and with teams;
- Ability to set priorities and manage time effectively.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Social Sciences.
- 7 years experience with at least 3 in facilitating UNDP ‘Leadership for Results’ training with international exposure;
- Sound Knowledge of UNDP Leadership for Results Toolkit;
- Practical experience in facilitating ‘Leadership for Results’ training in Africa or the Middle East;
- Demonstration of clear understanding of the social, economic and gender dimensions of HIV at national regional and sub-regional levels including the role of mediation, negotiation and dispute resolution;
- Familiarity with Civil Society and other international development organizations will be an advantage.
- Fluency in English both spoken and written.
Terms of Service:
This is a non-staff contract under the Individual Contractor (IC) modality of hiring of the UNDP. Individuals engaged under an IC serve in their individual capacity and not as representative of a government institutions, corporate body or other authority external to UNDP. The incumbent shall not be considered as staff of UNDP, the UN common system or the government and are therefore not entitled to any diplomatic privileges or any other special status or conditions.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.