NATIONAL PROJECT COORDINATOR- UNREDD
||Dar es salaam, TANZANIA
|Application Deadline :||13-Jul-12|
|Type of Contract :||Service Contract|
|Post Level :||SB-5|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One year|
The UN-REDD National Programme in Tanzania is supporting the Government of Tanzania with the development and implementation of a REDD+ scheme in Tanzania. The Programme is a joint initiative of the Government of Tanzania, UNDP, UNEP and FAO; the Implementing Partner is the Tanzania Forest Service (TFS) at the Ministry of Natural Resources and Tourism (MNRT). The UN-REDD National Programme works in close coordination with the National REDD+ Task Force (NRTF) and its member organisations as well as development partners and NGOs active in the field of REDD+ and forest management. Some of these partners will act as Responsible Parties for the implementation of selected activities.
Following the recommendations of a Mid-Term Evaluation, the UN-REDD National Programme has been extended for one year and is now reforming its management arrangements and prioritising activities. In order to make implementation of a range of activities as efficient as possible, the Programme requires a National Project Coordinator with a good understanding of REDD+ issues in the country and strong experience in project management and coordination. The National Project Coordinator will be based at TFS/MNRT and report to the Chief Executive of TFS, working closely with the International UN-REDD Coordinator in Tanzania and liaising with Government staff, contracted parties, and UN personnel.
Duties and Responsibilities
Objectives of Assignment
The objective of the assignment is to ensure timely and efficient project planning and implementation at TFS/MNRT and other Responsible Parties such as VPO-DoE, Ministry of Agriculture, Ministry of Energy and other member institutions of the NRTF; and coordination of all activities with the NRTF. This assignment will also provide an opportunity to strengthen the capacity for project and financial management at TFS/MNRT.
Scope of work: Expected Results/Deliverables
Reporting to the Executive Director of TFS and working closely with the TA UN-REDD in Tanzania, the National Project Coordinator will perform the following duties:
a. Timely and efficient development and implementation of activities under the UN-REDD National Programme, in particular in the following areas
- capacity-development and awareness-raising for REDD+,
- establishment of social and environmental safeguards,
- consultations with a range of stakeholders, including forest-dependent communities,
- testing of REDD+ payments,
- social and economic analysis aimed to provide advice to the NRTF;
b. Coordination of the above activities with the work of the National REDD+ Task Force; and participate in national REDD coordination mechanisms between national institutions involved in REDD project in Tanzania.
c. Cooperate with the (to be recruited) UN-REDD MRV expert at MNRT to ensure coordination of all activities;
d. Lead the development of cooperative arrangements with Responsible Parties and other partners;
e. In close collaboration with the UNREDD Coordinator/TA? Provide guidance and assistance to consultants to deliver agreed outputs as per TOR within the specified time frame
f. Support the recruitment of consultants and supervise the work of consultants under the UN-REDD National Programme;
g. Prepare quarterly advance requests in accordance with UNDP National Implementation Guidelines and oversee disbursement of funds to Responsible Parties; ; the NPM will be accountable for resources disbursed to the TFS/MNRT and other Responsible Parties and will ensure timely reporting on expenditure takes place
h. Maintain oversight of the project budget and authorize spending for approved activities in accordance to the rules and regulations of Government and the UN agencies as relevant. Ensure timely reporting and retirement of unspent funds;
i. Lead the preparation of financial reports in collaboration with the Project Assistant of the UN-REDD National Programme. Any other duties assigned by Supervisors.
|• Knowledge and understanding of national government systems as well as UNDP National Implementation modalities. |
• Results-oriented, self moving and flexible with proven ability to deliver under pressure.
• Enjoy working in a demand-driven environment, with ability to respond rapidly and effectively to the needs of many clients.
• A team player with strong inter-personal skills, maturity and the ability to comfortably communicate at all levels.
• Ability to identify client needs and deliver them promptly and accurately
Required Skills and Experience
• Advanced university degree with a specialization in climate change, REDD+ or forest management or in the areas of Public Administration and Management.
• At least five years relevant work experience in the areas of the climate change adaptation and mitigation, ideally also on REDD+.
• At least five years experience in project and programme management and implementation.
• Familiarity with government administrative procedures as well as UNDP National Implementation modalities
Fluency in English and Kiswahili is essential.
Duration of Assignment:
The National Project Coordinator shall be recruited until 30 June 2013 under a Service Contract. The contract may be renewable depending on performance, availability of project funds and client needs.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.