UN WOMEN: CAMPAIGN COORDINATOR, UNITE CAMPAIGN
||New York, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
|Application Deadline :||20-Jul-12|
|Type of Contract :||FTA International|
|Post Level :||P-3|
|Languages Required :||
The UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations (UN), works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, the UN Women will lead and coordinate UN system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It will provide strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
UN Women is the key entity within the UN system mandated to promote gender equality and women's empowerment at international, regional and national levels. In line with the organization's 2011-2013 Strategic Plan, ending and preventing violence against women and girls (VAW/G) is one of the six main goals. The Strategic Plan also highlights the important role of UN Women in supporting the strengthening of a coherent, system-wide approach to accelerate efforts in this area, including the management of the UN Secretary-General's global UNiTE to End Violence against Women Campaign.
Launched in 2008 the UNiTE Campaign seeks to raise public awareness, generate political will and resources for ending and preventing VAW/G, and accelerate progress in this area. Building upon existing efforts and bringing together a range of stakeholders, the campaign provides a historic opportunity to push for making real progress in all parts of the world by 2015.
The UNiTE Campaign global secretariat is based in the UN Coordination Division within the Intergovernmental Support and Strategic Partnerships Bureau of UN Women in New York. The secretariat is responsible for proactively driving the implementation of the UNiTE Strategic Direction 2011-2015 as approved by the UNiTE campaign High-Level Steering Committee.
Based in the UNiTE secretariat in New York, the UNiTE Campaign Coordinator will work under the overall supervision and guidance of the UNiTE Campaign Manager and in close collaboration with the UNiTE regional secretariats based in Addis Ababa, Bangkok and Panama City. S/he will support the overall implementation and monitoring of the UNiTE Strategic Direction 2011-2015 and the UNiTE Communication Strategy, and will be responsible for working closely with internal and external clients to ensure the provision of effective and timely technical support. S/he will facilitate the monitoring, documentation and reporting on UNiTE results and lessons learned at global and regional levels; advancement of strategic partnerships; development of campaigning materials; and the implementation of high-level activities and events undertaken under the framework of UNiTE Campaign. The UNiTE Campaign Coordinator will support the maintenance and updating of the UNiTE web site, both technically and editorially; liaise with vendors and editors for the development of campaigning materials and UNiTE website, and provide support in global awareness raising projects developed in the context of UNiTE Campaign.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Coordinates campaign activities and UNiTE networks
- Engages in strategic partnerships and outreach
- Supports content development of UNiTE materials for print, web and social media channels
- Supports monitoring and evaluation of UNiTE Campaign Action Plans
Responsibilities of the UNiTE Campaign Coordinator include:
Coordinates campaign activities and UNiTE networks:
- Supports the development and implementation of the campaign’s annual Action Plans, including those for the Secretary-General’s Network of Men Leaders, UNiTE Youth and UNiTE Artist networks, and ensures consistency with campaigning standards, and ethics;
- Supports the development of and coordinates campaign activities while liaising with regional UNiTE secretariats and relevant focal points, UN Agencies and external partners and networks to contribute to the maximum impact of the campaign worldwide, promote alignment in the campaigning calendar, and coordinates priority initiatives in a strategic way;
- Supports planning, execution and evaluation stages of the UNiTE campaign’s global projects;
- Develops and maintains information systems to map, track, schedule and monitor activities related to UNiTE’s four strategic directions into a cohesive and accurate campaign calendar;
- Develops and shares campaigning best practice learned from projects across the campaign and the UN System and beyond to ensure learning is developed and shared as broadly as possible and with an optimal use of existing UNiTE campaigning resources;
- Provides support to reporting on the progress of the campaign and its activities as needed and required.
Engages in strategic partnerships and outreach
- Identifies opportunities for UNiTE strategic partnerships and action, ascertaining creative and effective campaigning tactics applicable in both the global North and South;
- Communicates the campaign’s messages to target audiences and partners clearly and effectively with a view of inspiring a measurable action by these audiences;
- Updates and maintains records on partner engagement with the UNiTE campaign and ensures regular information dissemination.
Supports content development of UNiTE materials for print, web and social media channels
- Supports the development of UNiTE documents and relevant materials for internal and external use, ensuring all products are coherent with the UNiTE Strategic Direction 2011-2015, aligned with campaigning standards and ethics, and consistent with the UNiTE branding;
- Identifies the need for editorial content for the UNiTE website, advises on updates and improvements as relevant and needed, monitors their development and coordinates relevant distribution;
- Together with the UNiTE Communications Officers and in collaboration with the Say NO – UNiTE team, participates in and contributes to the development of content for all UNiTE social media platforms and the Say NO – UNiTE platform.
Supports monitoring and evaluation of UNiTE Campaign Action Plans
- Develops and executes a plan to monitor and coordinate the progress of the UNiTE Networks’ Action Plans against their deliverables;
- Prepares and shares monitoring and evaluation reports and updates as needed.
Impact of Results
- The key results have a major impact on the coordination of the implementation of the UNiTE campaign Strategic Direction 2011-2015. In particular, the key results will have an impact on external and internal coordination, the creation of strategic partnerships, and the development and dissemination of knowledge and campaigning resources around the UNiTE Campaign.
CORE VALUES / GUIDING PRINCIPLES:
- Demonstrating consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
Cultural Sensitivity/Valuing diversity:
- Demonstrating an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff.
- Demonstrating an international outlook, appreciating differences in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Ethics and Values:
- Promoting Ethics and Integrity / Creating Organizational Precedents
- Building support and political acumen
Working in Teams:
- Building and promoting effective teams
Communicating Information and Ideas:
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication
Self-management and Emotional intelligence:
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization
Knowledge Sharing / Continuous Learning:
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning
- Proven extensive experience in coordinating international human rights thematic campaigns;
- Extensive experience of successful work with different constituencies and teams based offsite to achieve joint results;
- Demonstrated experience in building and sustaining strong partnerships and strategic alliances with internal and external actors;
- Demonstrated solid experience in developing global and thematic advocacy materials for different audiences;
- Sound knowledge and experience related to women’s issues, with a particular focus on ending violence against women and girls;
- Experience of reporting on projects and knowledge and understanding of monitoring and evaluation;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Good understanding of IT tools and online media in the context of international and thematic campaigning;
- Excellent planning, goal-setting and prioritization skills;
- Strong interpersonal and team building skills, proven ability to manage complexities and stress and to remain calm, in control and good-humored even under pressure.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in one or more of the following disciplines: International development, Political Sciences, Public Administration, International Relations, social studies and other related fields.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience in the area of international thematic campaigning in a large international organization.
- Experience in campaign coordination is a must.
- Knowledge of preventing and ending violence against women and girls highly desirable.
- Proficiency in English is required.
- Knowledge of the other UN working knowledge is an asset.
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.
Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.