PROGRAMME SPECIALIST: JUSTICE AND HUMAN RIGHTS (OPEN TO ZIMBABWEAN NATIONALS ONLY)
|Application Deadline :||09-Jul-12|
|Type of Contract :||FTA Local|
|Post Level :||NO-C|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||1 Year|
|Under the guidance of the DCD/P and direct supervision of the ARR (Governance & Gender Mainstreaming), the Programme Specialist is responsible for management of UNDP’s justice and human rights programme, including liaison with civil society organizations and relevant government ministries in promoting equal access to justice, rule of law and human rights. The Programme Specialist analyzes political, social and economic trends and leads formulation, management and evaluation of programme activities within his/her portfolio, provides policy advisory services.
The Programme Specialist works in close collaboration with the operations team, programme staff in other UN Agencies, UNDP Regional and HQs staff and Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UNDP programme implementation.
Duties and Responsibilities
|Ensures implementation of programme strategies and provide policy implementation support in the area of Justice and Human Rights and Anti-Corruption with focusing on achievement of the following results:
Ensures effective programme development and management within the Justice and Human Rights area with focus on quality control from formulation to implementation of the country programme achieving the following results:
- Scanning for global and local knowledge and experience in the subject area. Map out, on a consistent basis, the development issues, covering the situation and strategic opportunities in the form of professional papers and reports;
- Provide intellectual or substantive support in the subject area through identification of key policy issues and formulation of best possible and alternative policy options for UNDP;
- Stimulate strategic support in the subject area and tap into opportunities. Organize strategically important policy dialogues, workshops or seminars. Contribute as a resource person and prepare policy papers or products;
- Provide technical support to strengthen the capacity of CSOs to lobby for policy reforms;
- Organize network of prominent policy based prominent national and international experts and support a series of policy dialogue workshops or roundtables, including dialogue among UN Agencies, CSOs NHRI and Government focusing on obligations under international law.
- Build alliances for policy reform and development amongst the national and international development institutions.
Ensures effective Assurance and Oversight of Project Implementation:
- Thorough analysis of the political, social and economic situation in the country and support the collaborative preparation/revision of the CCA, UNDAF, CPD, CPAP and other planning instruments. Support the management in the operationalization of UNDAF and CPD through CPAP;
- Identification of strategic and innovative programme areas of cooperation. Accordingly, prepare programme strategic frameworks;
- Design and formulation of CO programme within the area of civil society liaison on justice, rule of law and human rights;
- Provide support to CSOs role in monitoring the observance of human rights and human rights reporting;
- Document best practices, covering concepts, strategies and implementation approaches and support the management in streaming programmes policies and practices;
- Prepare project proposals and project documents to effect the implementation of the CPD and CPAP.
Ensures Marketing and Advocacy for UNDP’s work through:
- Preparation and implementation of the annual results based work plans and result frameworks as endorsed by the management;
- Prepare monthly and quarterly progress reports and organize, correspondingly, monthly and quarterly progress reviews;
- Ensure regular monitoring of progress, preparation of progress reports and organization of regular evaluations and reviews;
- Use Results Based Management (RBM) /M&E techniques, methods and their applications. Effective application of RBM tools, establishment of management targets (BSC) and monitoring achievement of results;
- Use programme management and monitoring modules of ATLAS in particular and knowledge of ATLAS operational services in general;
Assists in creating strategic partnerships and resource mobilization through:
- Supporting management in creating a positive and appreciative atmosphere for team-based work in UNDP and advocating for the work of UNDP;
- Disseminate information on best practices and be active member of the UNDP global and regional networks;
- Prepare brochures, publications, press releases for dissemination of UNDP assistance and experience;
- Expand outreach to the UN, national government, local authorities, private sector, non-government and international development organizations.
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for cost-sharing;
- Mobilize and network with the experts of international development community, government partners, UN Agencies and prominent think-tanks.
- Build and maintain excellent relations with partners;
- Prepare proposals for mobilization of human, technical or financial resources from international development organizations, non-government organizations and the private sector;
- Mobilize resources to support the achievement of programme outcomes
|Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda: Analysis and creation of messages and strategies|
- Creates effective advocacy strategies;
- Performs analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses.
Results-Based Programme Development and Management: Contributing to results through provision of information
Building Strategic Partnerships: Identifying and building partnerships
- Provides information for linkages across programme activities to help identify critical points of integration;
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation;
- Provides background information to identify opportunities for project development and helps drafting proposals;
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals.
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches: Developing new approaches
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to UNDP’s mandate and strategic agenda;
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners;
- Promotes UNDP’s agenda in inter-agency meetings.
Resource Mobilization: Implementing resource mobilization strategies
- Seeks a broad range of perspectives in developing project proposals;
- Identifies new approaches and promotes their use in other situations;
- Creates an environment that fosters innovation and innovative thinking;
- Makes the case for innovative ideas from the team with own supervisor.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Developing tools and mechanisms
- Analyzes information on potential bilateral donors and national counterparts to recommend a strategic approach;
- Identifies and compiles lessons learned;
- Contributes towards the development of a resource mobilization strategy at the country level.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise: In-depth knowledge of the subject-matter
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches;
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms.
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals: Analysis and creation of messages and strategies
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines;
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally;
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments.
Client Orientation: Contributing to positive outcomes for the client
- Performed analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses;
- Uses the opportunity to bring forward and disseminate materials for global advocacy work and adapts it for use at country level.
- Anticipates client needs;
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider;
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective;
- Solicits feedback on service provision and quality.
- Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organizational precedents;
- Building support and political acumen;
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation;
- Building and promoting effective teams;
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication;
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization;
- Leveraging conflict in the interests of UNDP & setting standards;
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Law, Public Administration, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field. A post graduate qualification on Human Rights and Development is highly desirable;
- A good knowledge of African Political Systems and state-civil society relations.
- At least 5 years working experience on Justice and Human Rights or related field;
- The successful candidate must demonstrate maturity and neutrality in dealing with sensitive issues. Political neutrality and impartiality is an imperative;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Fluency in English and at least one local language.
- UNDP Zimbabwe reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP Zimbabwe at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and education requirements.
- Applicants are requested to upload a copy of their latest updated P11 Form instead of a CV which can be downloaded from this website: http://www.sas.undp.org/Documents/P11_Personal_history_form.doc
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.