|Application Deadline :||09-Jul-12|
|Type of Contract :||FTA International|
|Post Level :||P-3|
|Languages Required :||
English French Spanish |
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One year|
|Under the overall guidance of DRR/DCD, the Procurement Specialist is responsible for management of the CO Procurement Unit, effective delivery of procurement services in order to obtain the best value for money in large Country Offices with large procurement volume. The Procurement Specialist manages the CO procurement and provides solutions to a wide spectrum of complex issues related to procurement. The Procurement Specialist promotes a collaborative, client-focused, quality and results-oriented approach in the Unit.
The Procurement Specialist supervises and leads the support and professional staff of the Procurement Unit.
The Procurement Specialist works in close collaboration with the Management Support and Business Development, Operations, Programme and project teams in the CO, UNDP HQs staff and Government officials to successfully deliver procurement services.
Duties and Responsibilities
|Summary of key functions:
Description of Responsibilities :
- Elaboration and implementation of operational strategies
- Efficient management of procurement processes
- Elaboration, introduction and implementation of sourcing strategy and e-procurement tools
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Ensures elaboration and implementation of operational strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
Ensures efficient management of procurement processes for CO, NEX/DEX projects, UN House and at the request of other Agencies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of procurement activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies; elaboration of the effective internal control, proper design and functioning of a client-oriented procurement management system.
- CO Procurement business processes mapping and elaboration/establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Procurement, control of the workflows in the Procurement Unit, harmonization of the workflows in the office.
- Elaboration and implementation of cost saving and reduction strategies.
- Conceptualization, elaboration and implementation of contract strategy in the CO including tendering processes and evaluation, contractor appraisal, evaluation and negotiation of offers, management of the contract and contractor, legal considerations and payment conditions, risk assessment.
- Conceptualization, elaboration and implementation of strategic procurement in the CO including sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management, customer relationship management, e-procurement introduction and promotion, performance measurement.
Ensures elaboration, introduction and implementation of sourcing strategy and e-procurement tools focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Timely and proper preparation of procurement plans for the office and projects, establishment of the deadlines and monitoring of their implementation.
- Establishment and implementation of proper monitoring system and control of procurement processes including organization of RFQ, ITB or RFP, receipt and evaluation of quotations, bids or proposals, negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with UNDP rules and regulation.
- Certification of submissions to the Contract, Asset and Procurement Committee (CAP) and Advisory Committee on Procurement (ACP).
- Management of procurement contracts and, upon delegation of responsibility, performance of the functions of Manager Level 2 in Atlas for Purchase orders approval.
- Elaboration and implementation of the internal control system which ensures that Purchase Orders (PO) are duly prepared and dispatched. Timely corrective actions on POs with budget check errors and other problems.
- Management of the implementation of the procurement processes monitoring system and mechanisms to eliminate deficiencies in procurement.
- Supervision of preparation of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for procurement services provided by UNDP to other Agencies.
- Establishment and implementation of harmonized procurement services and elaboration of proposals on common services expansion in the UN House, introduction and management of joint procurement for the UN Agencies in line with the UN reform.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Development and management of the rosters of suppliers, elaboration of supplier selection and evaluation, quality and performance measurement mechanisms.
- Management of the e-procurement system
- Organization of training for the operations/ projects staff on Procurement.
- Organization of trainings for Govt. staff on Procurement as required.
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in Procurement.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
|Corporate Competencies: |
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards.
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
Knowledge Management and Learning
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office.
- In-depth knowledge on development issues.
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice.
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Management and Leadership
- Ability to lead procurement processes using specific procurement methods (RFQ, ITB, RFP).
- Ability to introduce and implement strategic procurement, contract and sourcing strategy.
- Ability to lead implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change.
- Demonstrates a complete in-depth grasp of procurement rules and practices.
UNDP Procurement Certification programme
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback.
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills.
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors.
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure.
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, Economics or related fields.
- 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in procurement management. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of web based management systems.
- Fluency in French and English. Working knowledge of Spanish will be an asset.
Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.