CONSULTANT TO SUPPORT THE MINISTRY OF FINANCE FOR THE FORTHCOMING EU ACCESSION NEGOTIATIONS: PROVIDING ASSISTANCE TO THE MINISTRY OF FINANCE IN ASSESSING THE FISCAL EFFECTS OF STRUCTURAL REFORMS TO BE IMPLEMENTED IN THE PERIOD 2013 – 2015
|Application Deadline :||16-Jul-12|
|Type of Contract :||Individual Contract|
|Post Level :||International Consultant|
|Languages Required :||
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||August 1, 2012 - December 20, 2012|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||17 working days|
Montenegro has successfully achieved very demanding tasks related to European Integration. Montenegro submitted application for EU membership in December 2009 and received the Candidate status for EU membership in December 2010. In October 2011 the European Commission proposed to open the negotiation process with Montenegro, which the Council of the EU confirmed in December 2011. It is envisaged that the negotiation of Montenegro on the Accession Treaty with EU will start in the course of 2012. This status exposes the administration of the country and also the Ministry of Finance to entirely new and in some cases extremely demanding challenges. It is within this context that the Ministry has articulated its institutional and human resource development for successful EU accession negotiations as one of the Ministry’s main priorities for the forthcoming medium-term period.
In order to achieve this objective, the Ministry of Finance will concentrate on the following four sets of activities:
- Establishment of the structures that are necessary for efficient transposition of the EU legal order into the national legislation of Montenegro in the areas that are under direct responsibility of the Ministry;
- Putting in place an effective structure for macro-economic projections and economic policy analysis that is needed for a high quality dialogue of the Ministry with the EU counterparts throughout the process of the EU accession negotiations;
- Further strengthening of the medium-term fiscal programming function of the Ministry that is needed in the context of the PEPs preparation; and
- Establishment of the decentralized system for effective management of the EU pre-accession and later on structural funds.
In circumstances of drastically deteriorated global economic situation over the last few years, the Ministry of Finance has been required to make frequent adjustments in the country’s macroeconomic and fiscal forecasts. Namely, Montenegro has been faced with a significant reduction of domestic economic activity and with the fall of foreign inflows what all has ultimately led to significant decline in government revenues. As a consequence, the Ministry has been forced to make several downward adjustments of the investment component of public finance expenditures. It is within this framework that the Ministry has come to the conclusion that an assessment of fiscal effects of structural reforms planned for the forthcoming medium-term period is needed.
In order to prepare comprehensive and high quality document, Capacity Development programme and the Ministry of Finance will enagage international expert who will assist the Ministry in assessing the fiscal effects of structural reforms to be implemented in the period 2013 – 2015.
Duties and Responsibilities
Objective of the Assignment:
The overall objective of the assignment is to assist the Ministry of Finance in preparing an assessment of fiscal effects of structural reforms to be implemented in the period of 2013 – 2015.
During this assignment engaged expert will be obligated to:
- Develop the methodology (in close cooperation with the Ministry of Finance) for making the assessment and to introduce and test this methodology at a seminar with the line ministries;
- Prepare the agenda and conduct seminar on presenting the methodology for assessing the fiscal effects of structural reforms;
- Assist the Ministry in collecting all necessary data and other information on needed inputs for the assessment;
- Assist the Ministry in framing the assessment in the relevant government document.
The expected results:
- Methodology for assessing the fiscal effects of structural reforms developed and tested with the line ministries;
- Assessment of fiscal effects of structural reforms to be implemented in the 2013-2015 drafted.
Timing of the work:
The assignment will last 17 working days, in the period from August 1, 2012 – December 20, 2012.
The International expert will be obligated to prepare a report on completed tasks at the end of his/her engagement with drafted assessment on fiscal effects of structural reforms to be implemented in the 2013 – 2015 period.
Time duration and travel:
Consultancy services will be performed as a combination of home based work and three visits to Montenegro, each in duration of three days.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of UN/UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Demonstrates ability of analytical work and excellent report writing.
Required Skills and Experience
- PhD or equivalent in economics or related discipline.
- At least 15 years of experience in preparation of national structural policy documents including the topic of fiscal effects of structural reforms;
- Excellent communication skills, facility in working with teams;
- Previous working experience in the region related to this ToR.
- Excellent written and spoken English;
- Knowledge of the local language would be a distinctive advantage.
Interested applicants are requested to submit their applications to UNDP Office in Podgorica by e-mail to email@example.com
by July 16, 2012.
The short-listed candidates only will be requested to submit a letter of interest including a price quotation indicating the lump sum (in EUR) requested for the work and travel envisaged in the section "Duties and Responsibilities".
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.